Tigers looking for Two Injury Dispensation Replacements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers looking for Two Injury Dispensation Replacements

Post by L Smith »

fortysix wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 pm Maybe Matt Smith, who has to be one of Tigers most valuable Club servants
I thought it was just me that thought that :smt023
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

I took it that the big guy in training strip, watching, but not taking part in the warm-up before the Chiefs game was Dan Touhy. Good to see the new guy out there chatting with his potential second row partners.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

L Smith wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:45 pm
fortysix wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 pm Maybe Matt Smith, who has to be one of Tigers most valuable Club servants
Smith has been playing incredibly well this season. His partnership with Toomua has been key to turning our form around. He's underrated by many but exactly the type of squad man the clubs needs. I hope Charlie Thacker and Worth are learning from him and Toomua.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 am I took it that the big guy in training strip, watching, but not taking part in the warm-up before the Chiefs game was Dan Touhy. Good to see the new guy out there chatting with his potential second row partners.
BBC now reporting that we have signed Touhy from Bristol on loan until January.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Toby Flood on BT Sport highlighted Matt Smith as probably one of the most important players we have especially with Manu out. He may not be flash or International class but he runs himself into the ground for the cause and is a tackling machine. I noticed that he looked knackered on 64 minutes but put in a tackle yet again, got up and got in the defensive line. It reminds me of when him and Ant Allen played we always looked rock solid which then allowed us to absorb pressure and then hit teams. I can see the same sort of thing with Matt and Matt.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:23 pm
Toby Flood on BT Sport highlighted Matt Smith as probably one of the most important players we have especially with Manu out. He may not be flash or International class but he runs himself into the ground for the cause and is a tackling machine. I noticed that he looked knackered on 64 minutes but put in a tackle yet again, got up and got in the defensive line. It reminds me of when him and Ant Allen played we always looked rock solid which then allowed us to absorb pressure and then hit teams. I can see the same sort of thing with Matt and Matt.
Good point, makes you wonder if/when Manu returns if he would be best suited to an impact sub position?
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

Perhaps those who have been so rude and dismissive of Matt Smith on this forum should apologise and admit that they were wrong!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 pm
L Smith wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:45 pm I thought it was just me that thought that :smt023
Good point, makes you wonder if/when Manu returns if he would be best suited to an impact sub position?
Matt Smith is an absolutely heroic defender but in the last two matches he has offered nothing going forward.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 pm Matt Smith is an absolutely heroic defender but in the last two matches he has offered nothing going forward.
He doesn't need to offer anything forward because of all the quality players around him in the backline.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 am
drc_007 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 pm Matt Smith is an absolutely heroic defender but in the last two matches he has offered nothing going forward.
He doesn't need to offer anything forward because of all the quality players around him in the backline.
I'm surprised you feel that it is OK for an outside centre to contribute zero in attack.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

That would be a pretty expensive impact sub wouldn't it? Makes you think that maybe our money might be better spent elsewhere. It might be interesting to debate whether, with Matt Toomua playing as well as he has been in combination with George Ford and others, we are really missing Manu.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

:smt046
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I don't think it's correct to say Smith offers nothing in attack.

His all round game has been great this season IMO.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 am
I'm surprised you feel that it is OK for an outside centre to contribute zero in attack.
He doesn’t contribute 0 in attack,
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

I am really surprised at the way some so called supporters dismiss Matt Smith! He has put in some serious shifts and invariably is the unsung rear guard. Toomua also highlighted him in a press article.