Marcus Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcus Smith

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 am It's only a training squad but his inclusion is a bit of a joke at this stage IMO.
Just like selecting Will Evans after one or two senior appearances?

As EJ has said, he's probably only 5th in line, but it gives him early exposure to the environment and allows the coaches to see what he's made of close up.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I thought he had a great game, classy, brave, good hands, kicking and game management and all from an 18 year old!

Eddie is right to get him into the England training squad, to make sure the work ethos he espouses rubs off on Marcus. Genge has massively benefited from being involved in that regime.

There are plenty of talented players, but Eddie wants that combining with a real hunger to succeed and is not prepared to see any dropping off in standards/attitude, hence he is not afraid of dropping the odd established player from the squads, as we've seen this week.

If Marcus just picks up on that, it will make him a better player. I wish he were a Tiger!
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

He looked pretty good to me and I think jones is right to be taking a closer look.

It was little things - like taking the ball deep in his own 22 but staying down on the ground just long enough (a split second) to put doubt in the arriving attacking player's mind on whether he should or shouldn't tackle Smith and to allow Robshaw to arrive in support.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:49 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 am It's only a training squad but his inclusion is a bit of a joke at this stage IMO.
Just like selecting Will Evans after one or two senior appearances?

As EJ has said, he's probably only 5th in line, but it gives him early exposure to the environment and allows the coaches to see what he's made of close up.
True just like Evans, remind me of where he is!
Smith is obviously a good young player but didn't look anything out of the ordinary to me, he is certainly no Itoje!
It's my opinion that England should really be looking to develop up front, that's where the reliance on the Sarries forwards is and they are currently dropping like flies, beyond them players like Don Armand, Sam Simmonds, Mark Wilson and some of the big locks around at places like Exeter and Falcons need international time to develop themselves further IMO along with the likes of Clifford.
Nathan Hughes does not match Billy V like for like at international level IMO.
England are only three injuries away from difficulty up front IMO and with two already out they need an alternative strategy otherwise it's Attwood and Co.
A young back like Smith will get all he needs at Quins for the time being IMO.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Indeed, where is Will? Hopefully his time will come.

As for Marcus Smith, EJ's already given him the (press) rocket that Ford was better at the same age. :smt001
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:16 pm Indeed, where is Will? Hopefully his time will come.

As for Marcus Smith, EJ's already given him the (press) rocket that Ford was better at the same age. :smt001
Yes Ford was/is better, in fact I didn't think Smith was even close, and it's alright playing flat but you need better footwork than that occasionally otherwise it'll be a short career!
He reminded me of Burns the younger.
I suspect that some blazers are after a poster boy.
With the 6N lack of interest they need coverage.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:54 pm....
Yes Ford was/is better, in fact I didn't think Smith was even close, and it's alright playing flat but you need better footwork than that occasionally otherwise it'll be a short career!
Our Gengey got him a corker early doors!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:54 pm....
Our Gengey got him a corker early doors!
So did DC
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Hard to judge this early but I like him especially considering he's an 18 year old in a 12 year olds body. It is not his fault that he's being over-hyped and picked in squads. If the Quins coaches and Eddie Jones rate him then good luck to the kid. What can he do... please keep me in the A team games? We've always been averse to trusting youngsters. I like the 'if he is good enough then he's old enough' mentality. I'd make him 50/50 to make the WC in Japan.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Quins hand has been forced a little by freak injury to Katrakilis. Broke a tiny bone in his throat apparently
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 pm Quins hand has been forced a little by freak injury to Katrakilis. Broke a tiny bone in his throat apparently
That sounded horrible when explained by the commentary on Saturday!
Jones has done a great job but he has had some luck with the players available to him so far IMO, the Argentina tour was a revelation but IMO this selection is a strange one!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:54 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:16 pm Indeed, where is Will? Hopefully his time will come.

He reminded me of Burns the younger.
I suspect that some blazers are after a poster boy.
With the 6N lack of interest they need coverage.
Smith has excellent footwork and won MOTM in his second start. If you have never seen anything of him before and judge purely on the game against Tigers, and ignore the fact that putting in a decent performance at Premiership level as an 18-year old is impressive in itself, then you could be forgiven for being dismissive. But he's quite clearly a very talented young player, and another one of the left-field selections of young players that Jones keeps going for. As he did with Genge.

Sometimes it will work out, sometimes not. But there is definitely a benefit in bringing very talented young players into the national training squads to give them an idea of what to aim at. Regardless of postcode.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

BFG wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:57 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm Excellent point regarding Sam Simmonds. With Billy V likely crocked, I'm not convinced by Hughes at test match level, would be nice to look at Simmonds o seems to have it all. Head to head for them this afternoon
Yes I just would not have thought that 10 was such a problem position to require so many in one training squad, the forwards is where it should be at IMO!
Lose Kruis and Lawes and where next that we haven't already been, lose Itoje and Billy V and it's real trouble.
Also life after 2019 needs more consideration up front than the backs IMO.
Anyway Yarde over Roko says it all!
Lose Kruis and Lawes and we are down to Launchbury and Itoje starting, with Ewels on the bench and Isiekwe making up the numbers. I really don't think lock is an issue for England.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

4071 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am
BFG wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:57 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm Excellent point regarding Sam Simmonds. With Billy V likely crocked, I'm not convinced by Hughes at test match level, would be nice to look at Simmonds o seems to have it all. Head to head for them this afternoon
Yes I just would not have thought that 10 was such a problem position to require so many in one training squad, the forwards is where it should be at IMO!
Lose Kruis and Lawes and where next that we haven't already been, lose Itoje and Billy V and it's real trouble.
Also life after 2019 needs more consideration up front than the backs IMO.
Anyway Yarde over Roko says it all!
Lose Kruis and Lawes and we are down to Launchbury and Itoje starting, with Ewels on the bench and Isiekwe making up the numbers. I really don't think lock is an issue for England.
That's fine by me, you don't have to agree even though I am right!
Three injuries away from difficulty currently at international level is what I think, two down in Kruis and Billy V, only one to go, hopefully not Itoje as his loss would be biggest impact along with the other two, IMO!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

kruis isn't a huge loss and is slipping down the pecking order anyway with the form of Itoje, Lawes and Launchbury.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni