Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by westwinds31 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm
Duncan B wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:07 am

He also plays 15 and with Worth injured and Tait lacking pace these days that's handy cover for TV.
He was quoted as saying he was looking forward to learning from Manu and To'omua so maybe he can play centre too? That would make more sense
I also wonder whether Nick Malouf is seen as a potential centre? He's shown he has the ball-handling and guile in his 7's career and he certainly knows how to run and tackle!
In my view, it's a lot to ask of Malouf to learn how to play 15-a-side rugby on the wing, without throwing in centre as well, which is arguable one of the hardest positions to learn on the field. He's done a reasonable job on the wing and took his try well, but clearly it's a work in progress in terms of learning the wing role. I wasn't that happy with Smith coming in for Manu but you have to take your hat off to him, he was excellent against Gloucester and he won't let the side down for sure. Experience is a valuable asset. Tait looked sharp I thought as well.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:20 am Nathan Earle being linked to Us, Sale, Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Harlequins.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusiv ... acens-star

All smacks abit of agent talk though. That article certainly hypes him up to be THE next superstar which i'm not 100% sold on yet.

BUT saying that Saracens have alot of competition for the starting back 3 spot.

Would love him here but can't see it happening.
Would seem an odd choice from us to go for him beings as to my knowledge only one of our current crop of wingers contract is possibly due to end in Brady and having just signed a winger in the week. Not that I'd put it past us to look to sign more wingers next year rather than a centre. Just seem a bit like agent talk to me to try and get him 1st team games.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Stephen18 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:20 am Nathan Earle being linked to Us, Sale, Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Harlequins.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusiv ... acens-star

All smacks abit of agent talk though. That article certainly hypes him up to be THE next superstar which i'm not 100% sold on yet.

BUT saying that Saracens have alot of competition for the starting back 3 spot.

Would love him here but can't see it happening.
Would seem an odd choice from us to go for him beings as to my knowledge only one of our current crop of wingers contract is possibly due to end in Brady and having just signed a winger in the week. Not that I'd put it past us to look to sign more wingers next year rather than a centre. Just seem a bit like agent talk to me to try and get him 1st team games.
Think in the back 3 Tait, Brady, Catchpole and Thompstone are all out of contract at least and maybe Veainu.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Tait sign a new contract last year, which I thought thompstone had but looking your right he sign in 2016 with smith and veainu, although I thought I read or heard on here veainu sign for 3 years. You never know though at the minute contracts don't seem to mean much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Stephen18 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:06 pm Tait sign a new contract last year, which I thought thompstone had but looking your right he sign in 2016 with smith and veainu, although I thought I read or heard on here veainu sign for 3 years. You never know though at the minute contracts don't seem to mean much.
Tait was only a one year deal.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I know Evans signed a deal last year but do we know if its more than a one year deal.

Considering he is at best 4th choice openside at the moment (considering BOC, Hamilton and now Ryan have all started ahead of him) id imagine he isnt part of MOCs plans and will be off when the chance arises.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:53 pm I know Evans signed a deal last year but do we know if its more than a one year deal.

Considering he is at best 4th choice openside at the moment (considering BOC, Hamilton and now Ryan have all started ahead of him) id imagine he isnt part of MOCs plans and will be off when the chance arises.
Think it might be 1 year.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don’t k what MOC sees in Ryan, should let him gel into us via bench and AW cup and I really rate Evans and I see him as 2nd choice, I don’t see Hamilton at 7 I think they just put him there to weigh up our backrow.
I’m worried we are getting the signs that MOC doesn’t trust development players
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Whilst I would always reserve judgement on any incoming player, I wonder about the logic of letting a prop go out on loan and then signing another prop unless the new prop is better than the one out on loan. I look forward in seeing our new prop and making my judgement then but I do have doubts.
Hehehehehehehehe
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 pm Whilst I would always reserve judgement on any incoming player, I wonder about the logic of letting a prop go out on loan and then signing another prop unless the new prop is better than the one out on loan. I look forward in seeing our new prop and making my judgement then but I do have doubts.
I'd like to think Traynor is behind Rizzo in the pecking order. Rizzo is only on short term loan (officially) so at least keeping sharp. he seemed in pretty good form in the second half of last season so would definitely like to see get his call up this season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rizzo, Young’s and cilliers proved a good front row during the 6Ns last year
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IF Worcester go down would like to see us try and poach Christian Scotland-Williamson.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Clowbeck wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 pm
trendylfj wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 pm Whilst I would always reserve judgement on any incoming player, I wonder about the logic of letting a prop go out on loan and then signing another prop unless the new prop is better than the one out on loan. I look forward in seeing our new prop and making my judgement then but I do have doubts.
I'd like to think Traynor is behind Rizzo in the pecking order. Rizzo is only on short term loan (officially) so at least keeping sharp. he seemed in pretty good form in the second half of last season so would definitely like to see get his call up this season.
That would be my initial opinion too so I repeat why loan out a prop who did well and then have to sign a replacement unless the replacement is going to be there only in an emergency. It is not long to the AI's when we will lose both props and that is not an emergency but something anyone would be able to foresee.
Hehehehehehehehe
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:21 am IF Worcester go down would like to see us try and poach Christian Scotland-Williamson.
Would be great but I reckon all of the top four and maybe even top 14 will be after him since he has been levelling people weekly :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:21 am IF Worcester go down would like to see us try and poach Christian Scotland-Williamson.
Not great in the line out though. They don't seem to be able to lift him