Ryan - no HIA??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Ryan - no HIA??

Post by ourla »

Not sure if he got mentioned in dispatches.

It looked like Ryan got "a bang to the head" mid-way through the second half and was "groggy" to say the least. And yet there was no HIA. I was at the match, was there any mention on the TV about it? Am I mistaken?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Ryan - no HIA??

Post by sapajo »

Murphy said he Ryan was badly winded and that his head did not make contact with North. Nothing to see here move on :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:46 pm Murphy said he Ryan was badly winded and that his head did not make contact with North. Nothing to see here move on :smt017
Cheers, as I say it was an observation from the terraces.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TV made a meal of it, big discussions/comments as to why did he not go off etc, we all saw his head hit hip and today I think I read there is an official investigation going on. I think Murphy got it very wrong!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

LE18 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:23 pm TV made a meal of it, big discussions/comments as to why did he not go off etc, we all saw his head hit hip and today I think I read there is an official investigation going on. I think Murphy got it very wrong!
Presumably that is the Concussion Management Review Group (CMRG)

Let's see what they make of it.

Seemed to get a reaction on twitter also
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

O'Connor's reply when questioned about this was essentially "Ryan asked the physio if Saints scored or not, so he must be fine". Not sure that's really sufficient for an assessment of any type of injury, let alone HIA.

Would expect some comeback based on that, if he did indeed take a knock to the head rather than being winded.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:46 pm Murphy said he Ryan was badly winded and that his head did not make contact with North. Nothing to see here move on :smt017
Trouble is, watching this on TV, that when North got clattered and Thomo binned (last year or was it the year before!) we were informed that one of the 'markers' for an HIA/concussion was the player not attempting to break their fall and Ryan didn't do that, he just faceplanted.

3 times the medics went on to talk to him (I mentioned to the wife that they must have seen the video and are reassessing) and at one scrum it appeared that Hamilton had to drag Ryan into position.

I think someone is going to the naughty step for this.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:23 pm TV made a meal of it, big discussions/comments as to why did he not go off etc, we all saw his head hit hip and today I think I read there is an official investigation going on. I think Murphy got it very wrong!
I have seen this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... t-dominic/

But it is just alot of if and coulds.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

I could see them getting in trouble over it. Going to a scrum and lineout not long after he seemed dazed and confused, I know Williams was off and seemed like they didn't want another player off. I really hope that didn't factor in over player welfare especially as Bateman was on the bench and could have come on at hooker and moved Thacker to the flank.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I presume Geordan was just repeating what he had been told at the time, the TMO should have intervened if he thought Ryan had been KO'd
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Watching on the TV live it was surprising that no HIA was recommended by the TMO, I thought after the George North incident the medical staff has someone to watch the TV feed to see stuff like this.
Also the players who were shepherding him to position in the scrum should have has the nuts to have asked the ref to stop play as the player was obviously not all there.