Booing and Language, Timothy!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Booing and Language, Timothy!

Post by JWM »

I don't know if this is an old can of worms, but I really don't like the level of Booing (in earnest, not the odd bit of obviously panto booing) and real Effing and Jeffing that seem an increasingly common feature of Welford Road.

As well as personal dislike, I don't think they are really in the spirit of the game, especially if we keep claiming it is an all-age sport and family-friendly stadium.

I have heard it argued "I've paid my £400 so I'll boo if I want/I've bought the right to boo/similar". Really?! It's never going to change Sir's mind, if anything it'll set his jaw more like flint. And anyway, aren't we better than that?? And the really foul language?

I'm not a wilting violet, nor am I one of these rugby/soccer snobs in saying this, but it's a long time since I've gone to a soccer match for this reason, and I think it would be a real shame for rugby to go down that track.

The senior management at Welford Road still bang on about being 'THE Family Club' etc. That crown has passed to Exeter some time ago, we're behind the times and we've got to work hard if we - as the umpteen thousand supporters - want that reputation back for our Club.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Booing and Language, Timothy!

Post by mol2 »

Booing is a traditional way of displaying dissatisfaction. Having ignored multiple offences by the Bath side for most of the game the ref probably deserved that.

The foul language is not acceptable in Welford Road.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Isn't it just a reflection of todays society? I can recall going to the Filbert Street ground in the mid 1960's and mixing in the crowd with opposition supporters with no expectation of any trouble. Welford Road was usually fairly empty on a Saturday afternoon at that time and travelling fans were a rare sight. Today I doubt you can go anywhere wearing a team shirt without some sort of abuse coming your way.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Booing? Part and parcel of the "pantomime" element of the game, whether an "appalling" (generally a 50/50 call) decision by the referee, or targeted at a player who's just upset us all/got away with something/ got carded. All fine IMHO.

Foul language, particularly when directed at someone, is not fine and is unnecessary.
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

I did post on the Tigers v Bath topic about my experience.
We went to 7 or 8 games last season and had no problem whatsoever.
But then we won each time.
This time the atmosphere was decidedly worse.
Booing I can handle, swearing sometimes slips out of my saintly mouth, :smt018 but the sustained "you :censored: idiot ref" was a bit too much considering there were kids about.
I can understand people are involved, passionate, and get upset, but when other peoples kids are about surely they can rein it in.
I think the offenders are season ticket holders, so I am in the process of getting my seats moved away from the 1880 Club and Directors Area to a more genteel area :smt042
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I think you're all being a bit precious with the bad language thing.

Most children these days are well versed in vernacular that would have made Chubby Brown blush 20 years ago. And mostly its a result of lazy parenting. I wouldn't worry, the kids could probably teach you all a choice word or two.

BTW, is it alright to call the ref a cock waffle?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

I don't want to sit with my 8 year old, in front of someone calling the ref a :censored: :censored: because they don't like the way their team is playing and can't comprehend that they aren't entitled to win. Not once but for most of the game.
If I wanted that I would go to Premiership Football.

Each to their own though.

Cock waffle is a fine insult BTW.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I'm afraid to confess I was moved to a bit of shouting at the ref on Sunday, despite being accompanied by my 7 year old son. However I restricted myself to comments involving 'gutless' and 'inconsistent' rather than anything more colourful or catchy. A little bit of shouting at the ref - 2 or 3 times across 80 minutes - seems ok. Expletives much less so - I'm not particularly sensitive myself on that score but really not great for kids and it is a public place.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

dpoc74 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:12 pm I did post on the Tigers v Bath topic about my experience.
We went to 7 or 8 games last season and had no problem whatsoever.
But then we won each time.
This time the atmosphere was decidedly worse.
Booing I can handle, swearing sometimes slips out of my saintly mouth, :smt018 but the sustained "you :censored: idiot ref" was a bit too much considering there were kids about.
I can understand people are involved, passionate, and get upset, but when other peoples kids are about surely they can rein it in.
I think the offenders are season ticket holders, so I am in the process of getting my seats moved away from the 1880 Club and Directors Area to a more genteel area :smt042
Thing is, unless inappropriate behaviour is brought to the attention of stewards (I think you said elsewhere that you haven't reported it), I'm not sure what the club can realistically be expected to do about it.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I'm usually extremely loud on the terrace (sometimes to the annoyance of those with fragile ears), vocal in giving support and occassionally offering sage advice to the officals.

On Sunday though I have to admit for the first time (in a long time) a swear word slipped out. I believe I may have shouted "Oh you clucking donkey" (or similar) when Kitchener dropped the ball with the line at his mercy. Lots of apologies all round after that. Only human etc.

Persistent swearing or berating of officials though is never on.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I'd also add that, whilst I'm not keen on the booing, I prefer that to the borish "Eee-orr, eeee-orrr" which a small section of the terrace belts out every time there's a knock on. Mainly because it's been ripped straight from the Shed and is one of the most grating things about visiting Kingsholm. Would rather we didn't copy Gloucester fans.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't particular like Booing and utterly abhor effing but the fans frustration with the referees lack of action viz a viz high tackles was understandable. I counted 16 by Bath, 6 in the first half and 10 in the second as opposed to three dubious tackles made by Tigers, Garvey should have been Yellow carded in the first half along with Joseph. Also the ref's almost point blank refusal to use the television replay facility I could see was frustrating Tom Youngs who pointed to his captains armband on several occasions but seemed to be totally ignored. If this is typical of the
refereeing standards expected this season then some player somewhere is going to get very seriously injured.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I don't like the applauding or mocking of the opposition's errors, shows a lack of class for me. I would rather applaud our excellence. Politely pointing out errors by the officials may not antagonise them, anything more vehement probably hands to opposition an advantage by engendering bias, they are human after all, so not overly helpful.
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

With apologies to Edmund Burke for hi-jacking his words - the only thing necessary for the triumph of base behaviour and profanity is for good men to do nothing. We're a club and a sport that relies on self-policing rather than hordes of stewards and police. If people who simply don't 'get it' disrespect the kicker by making noise - we (the fans) tell them. I suggest we do the same with the few who resort to 'effing and blinding' rather than appealing to the stewards. :smt018
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

For some of you a trip to Kingsholm is needed. Then this thread would be unnecessary.
BTW, the level of swearing on the Terrace seems to have almost diminished to nothing. Once upon a time the 8 pints before halftime crew used to swear continually (circa 2007-10), now the worst offence seems to be the lasses who come and chat with their backs to the game.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.