Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am There is venting your team was poor but as I stated you really seem to relish this and I cannot fathom how you claim to support Tigers when you have not said a positive word about them in the 100+ posts I can recollect...
You haven't been paying close enough attention then....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

See how the team gets on tonight.
If Croft is fit and plays well would be tempted to have him on the bench.

Maybe something like this
1) Genge, 2) Yongs, 3) Cole
4) Barrow, 5) Kitchener/Fitzgerald
6) Williams, 7) O'Connor, 8) Kalamafoni
9) Youngs, 10) Ford
12) Toomua, 13) Manu
11) Malouf/Holmes/Brady (If Holmes has a good game tonight maybe start him), 14) May, 15) Veainu

16) Thacker, 17) Bateman, 18) Mulipola
19) Croft, 20) Hamilton
21) Harrison, 22) Ford, 23) Tait/Holmes/Malouf
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Roly wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am There is venting your team was poor but as I stated you really seem to relish this and I cannot fathom how you claim to support Tigers when you have not said a positive word about them in the 100+ posts I can recollect...
Forgive me for not wading through the endless negative drivel to recall a post that could even be considered favourable

Anyway I will let someone else bite from now on if there is anyone left on here that hasn't blocked you :smt023
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I have been very brave and having been at the match I have now watched the TV recording which has confirmed some of my thoughts during the game and altered a couple of others. I thought Milouf as at fault for the first Bath try when watching from the Crumbie but I see on TV he chased the kick got slightly blocked allowing the Bath 10 to offload to Banahan who made good use of the open space in front of him, not Malouf's fault.
The Rokaduguni intercept was great play by him I don't blame anyone for that. I think the ref was wrong to pull Vieanu up for offside when he intercepted and was through, they scored as a result of that penalty so that was a 14 point decision.
I thought Ben Youngs and Ford had good games, Ford did miss one kick he should have got and it may have been crucial but that apart did well. Kalamafoni put in a good shift, better than some posters think. Most of the lineouts lost including the last one were not as a result of poor throws by the hooker but poor catching and silly flapping at the ball for a tap back when a catch was possible, the inclusion of Croft should improve that area. May scored two tries, you can't expect much more from your winger, generally the backs showed promise but failed to capitalise on opportunities created, they will improve. Obviously we should have scored when Youngs passed to Kitchener and he failed to catch it but that was just one of the team cock ups that collectively were the reason we lost. I have not changed my view on this team's potential and I was impressed by the contribution made by some of the replacements, hopefully so was MOC.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 pm
Roly wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am
Forgive me for not wading through the endless negative drivel to recall a post that could even be considered favourable

Anyway I will let someone else bite from now on if there is anyone left on here that hasn't blocked you :smt023
No, I wont forgive you of accusing me of something and then not even bothering to substantiate the accusation. You're the only one writing drivel here, so either stay on topic or do one.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm I have been very brave and having been at the match I have now watched the TV recording which has confirmed some of my thoughts during the game and altered a couple of others. I thought Milouf as at fault for the first Bath try when watching from the Crumbie but I see on TV he chased the kick got slightly blocked allowing the Bath 10 to offload to Banahan who made good use of the open space in front of him, not Malouf's fault.
The Rokaduguni intercept was great play by him I don't blame anyone for that. I think the ref was wrong to pull Vieanu up for offside when he intercepted and was through, they scored as a result of that penalty so that was a 14 point decision.
I thought Ben Youngs and Ford had good games, Ford did miss one kick he should have got and it may have been crucial but that apart did well. Kalamafoni put in a good shift, better than some posters think. Most of the lineouts lost including the last one were not as a result of poor throws by the hooker but poor catching and silly flapping at the ball for a tap back when a catch was possible, the inclusion of Croft should improve that area. May scored two tries, you can't expect much more from your winger, generally the backs showed promise but failed to capitalise on opportunities created, they will improve. Obviously we should have scored when Youngs passed to Kitchener and he failed to catch it but that was just one of the team cock ups that collectively were the reason we lost. I have not changed my view on this team's potential and I was impressed by the contribution made by some of the replacements, hopefully so was MOC.
Is this season one that could legitimately be termed 'transitional'?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Not for me! There's a settled pack there,a halfback pairing who've played together numerous times,so only really a new MF. No excuses this year. I'm still scratching my head over a brand new back row yesterday!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm I have been very brave and having been at the match I have now watched the TV recording which has confirmed some of my thoughts during the game and altered a couple of others. I thought Milouf as at fault for the first Bath try when watching from the Crumbie but I see on TV he chased the kick got slightly blocked allowing the Bath 10 to offload to Banahan who made good use of the open space in front of him, not Malouf's fault.
Sound post, particularly the point about the throwing into the LO. If you take off your starting two and the issues continue, it is reasonable to assume the problem lies elsewhere rather than the hookers. I agree with you on the replacements. I really don't understand some of the negative comments about Thacker, he added much needed momentum when he came on.

Should really have scored at least two more, so there plenty of reasons to remain cheerful. Perhaps the only concern is the result puts even more pressure on the Saints game.
Simon239

Post by Simon239 »

I agree johnthegriff

I don't think its all bad.

We made multiple line breaks that could (should) have resulted in tries. Playing a more expansive game like that is going to leave us open to intercept tries - that is just one of those things.

Youngs looked sharp, and Fords lines i thought were very good. Malouf did well - especially in defence - that hit on Faletau especially! He wasn't at fault for their try - he got blocked (maybe illegally, they shielded the jumper) the cover was slow to react.

May looks exciting and his link up with Vieanu will be something special.

Manu, whilst clearly lacking match fitness got 80 mins. Toomua offers a lot - and when they all gel we'll give teams a hiding. If we can bring the forward intensity that we showed in the last 10 minutes then we'll be more than a match for most teams! Thacker offered lot of go forward when he came on.

Yes we were sloppy, yes we gave them too many points, but all things considered after all that we nearly snatched it. Let them have a few more games before writing them off.

Was it just me or was the crowd very quiet too? We only seemed to increase the noise at the end. When Bath were camped on our line it was almost silent!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:54 pm
Sack Ford? No. Nowhere have I suggested anyone should be sacked.
I know you didn't, but I fully expect some other forum members to be calling for every player who makes a mistake to have their contract torn up by the time of the Gloucester match! :smt003
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cannot understand this bemoaning of Ford :smt018 Burns and Williams are history so lets support and get behind George. He is truly an international quality Fly Half and he now plays for Tigers and I relish that fact. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

I couldn't see the match live so watched it all on BT Sport. Didn't want to post straight away when disappointment was still raw. I personally find losing to Bath more painful than any other opposition (including Saints). Nowadays whenever Bath score a try, a mental image of their coiffeured owner feebly air-punching springs into my mind and fills me with intense irritation!

However yesterday's home defeat wasn't the disaster that some claim. In my opinion, we can still realistically aspire to a top two spot in the premiership. Let's admit first that Bath are now a very good side - they have had an uber-talented set of backs for several years and now look like they have a forward pack to match in which Faletau is immense. We could learn from them: learn from their superior line out technique and pinch their smart "restart" tactic ie the Priestland deep kick into the corner with Rocko's speedy follow up. It was a highly effective tactic (twice) and we could do exactly the same with GF's restart kick and Johnny May's pace. Despite Bath's strengths, in my opinion, it was a game we could easily have won - with just a little more composure. The game turned on the interception try, a real killer for us - arguably a 14 pointer. Take that out of the equation and we would all now be basking in the warmth of another comfortable home win over Bath!

Anyway, roll on Saints I say. Now there is a club with serious problems to solve. :smt045
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Nice to see Roly back in order to throw in the usual vitriol about the side he allegedly supports.

I had something on, couldn't watch the game live and forgot to record it. Will check it out when it's online no doubt though I don't feel a particular need. It sounds like ultimately the game could have gone either way and I'm sure if we'd have won by a score instead of losing by it, we'd all be a lot more comfortable with things. It didn't. There are obvious areas of improvement. Let's work on those and move on.

Incredible to me that Ben Youngs, Ford, Cole and Tualigi are still attracting criticism from some quarters. Any team in the Prem, Pro 14 and Top 14 would love to have them in their sqaud. Back row is clearly the biggest issue right now. But I'll give them more than one game before I start squealing.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:49 pm I couldn't see the match live so watched it all on BT Sport. Didn't want to post straight away when disappointment was still raw. I personally find losing to Bath more painful than any other opposition (including Saints). Nowadays whenever Bath score a try, a mental image of their coiffeured owner feebly air-punching springs into my mind and fills me with intense irritation!

However yesterday's home defeat wasn't the disaster that some claim. In my opinion, we can still realistically aspire to a top two spot in the premiership. Let's admit first that Bath are now a very good side - they have had an uber-talented set of backs for several years and now look like they have a forward pack to match in which Faletau is immense. We could learn from them: learn from their superior line out technique and pinch their smart "restart" tactic ie the Priestland deep kick into the corner with Rocko's speedy follow up. It was a highly effective tactic (twice) and we could do exactly the same with GF's restart kick and Johnny May's pace. Despite Bath's strengths, in my opinion, it was a game we could easily have won - with just a little more composure. The game turned on the interception try, a real killer for us - arguably a 14 pointer. Take that out of the equation and we would all now be basking in the warmth of another comfortable home win over Bath!

Anyway, roll on Saints I say. Now there is a club with serious problems to solve. :smt045
A lot of money, time and effort has been spent developing the back line - it would seem at the determent of the forwards, who were like headless chickens on Sunday. Strange for a club which has a lot of pride in the pack. The inability of the pack to work out that Charteris is probably one of the best line-out operators in the NH and to keep lobbing it in his general direction was baffling.

Having said that, scrum time was pretty good - Tigers had the measure of their opponents there. They just lack nouse generally - Bath took them to the cleaners in that department.
Last edited by Roly on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly, as you state Charteris is probably one of the best operators in the NH, it can be lobbed as you say, anywhere, players can also move anywhere to compete and often do, credit where it's due!
The best team on the day won but it wasn't so far apart that they deserve completely lambasting.
Pre-season was deceiving in it's ease, this was a wake up call!
I find your description of Cole as a liability confusing given that the England coaching dept have openly expressed the view that he has been irreplaceable.
Also your view on Manu as one dimensional, seems to me there was a time when Brad Barritt was accused of similar, look at him now grubber kicks and all, Manu has been out for a long time and will be rusty and is still young enough to improve.
I get the impression further problems would suit you down to the ground, keep it coming, it's precisely your type that'll drive the desire to prove wrong!