Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by JWM »

With an 80-mile journey home, and a 😴 I haven't read all 12 preceding pages, so apologies if I'm repeating a point.

All game long, I was waiting for Tigers new ball carrying, line smashing No8 to turn up.

Should I be expecting kicks ahead to be chased up? If yes, I didn't see any.

From where I was sitting (Clubhouse) it looked like Hobbits v Orcs. Our chaps didn't seem very big.

The whole thing looked tired and laboured.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JWM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am With an 80-mile journey home, and a 😴 I haven't read all 12 preceding pages, so apologies if I'm repeating a point.

All game long, I was waiting for Tigers new ball carrying, line smashing No8 to turn up.

Should I be expecting kicks ahead to be chased up? If yes, I didn't see any.

From where I was sitting (Clubhouse) it looked like Hobbits v Orcs. Our chaps didn't seem very big.

The whole thing looked tired and laboured.
I thought a few of ours looked trimmed down, possibly the kit giving that impression, I don't know!
Physically Bath were comfortable when 15 v 15, it's that word physicality again IMO.
Ours guys were fine when finding gaps, apart from possibly some fatigue from the physicality affecting the basics, it all adds up.
Manu also looked like a player who has hardly played for two years.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Question one. How many of our line-outs did we lose? Too many.
Question two. How many of their line-outs did we challenge / pinch? Too few/None? To be honest, I can't remember.
Question three. Who is our most reliable line-out source? Tom Croft.
Question four. Why wasn't he playing? Not fit?

Fundamentally, our own line out ball at this level should be more or less guaranteed, and yesterday was simply not good enough.
So who's at fault? The hooker who throws in must take part of the blame. Lifters and jumpers too. Forwards coach (Richard Blaze) must shoulder some of the blame.
If our line out doesn't function properly, we'll struggle to finish in the top half of the table, let alone the top 4.

This problem needs fixing, and double quick before next weekend.
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

We left 3 or 4 trys out there, we gifted them a couple, our lineout was terrible and our kick chase very poor.

All should be fixable. I'm not as pessimistic as some on here and there was lots to give encouragement. For once I find myself agreeing with ellis9, I thought YBY had a good game, as did Ford (for the most part), once that back line gels and gets match sharp, it will be fantastic.

But I do appreciate we need to win some decent ball first and foremost!!
Soggypitch
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Disappointing first game. On paper we have a terrific set of backs who if they get quick ball will score loads. Thats IF they get quick ball. I have concerns about our forwards at the moment.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Spicer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:55 pm Gifted them 2 tries.
Butchered 1 of our own.
Took intil 11 mins to go for ref to penalise their repeated high tackles!
Line outs poor and also poorly refereed.

Much of Baths play around to rucks was more along the lines of the banned flying wedge. Is it legal for 3 players to bind before receiving the ball.
I think we butchered 4 tries. In the first half with manu not passing in a 3v2, O'Connor not passing, Kitchener dropping the ball and whoever throw the ball behind Thackers head when he looked certain to score.
In theory it was 4 but had O'Connor passed the ball to Malouf he would have scored meaning the play where someone threw the ball at Thacker's head, wouldn't have happened. That play should never have happened as we should have scored before that.
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

I have mixed emotions about yesterdays game.
A massive anticlimax at the final whistle, preceded by 5 or 10 minutes of jaw clenching frantic play that almost led to what would of been an amazing unlikely and probably undeserved victory in my eyes.

Both myself and my son were gutted at the end (and still am), especially as our lift home was my Bath supporting father in law, who had a great day out!
But what really upset me was the behaviour and attitude of some of our supporters.
They couldn't seem to comprehend that we were being beaten, that we had no right to be beaten and that everything was the refs fault.
I took my elderly Dad to a Chelsea game a few years back (a team that he had supported since a boy, from just after the war) and to have fat louts behind us calling the ref a ******* **** was embarrassing and took the shine off the day.
I hate to say it, but it was like I was at a football game yesterday.
We apologised to a Bath fan with a young daughter (as did several other Tigers fans) about the language that was being hurled the refs way.
It was difficult to see who exactly was shouting it as they were behind us. But Tigers fans did ask others to tone the language down as kids were about.
They didn't. I don't know if they were reported to the stewards, I didn't as it was entering the final few frantic minutes of the game and I don't know who they were.
I do believe that grown adults should know when they should tone down their language. I swear loads. Not in front of my kids though, and especially not in front of other peoples kids. I know in the heat of the moment people let things slip. I have no problem with that. Also if you take kids to a sporting venue, they are likely to hear swearing. Again no problems with that. But this was something different. It wasn't just the swearing, it was the attitude that every decision was against us and that was the reason we were losing. Not due to the fact that we had been outplayed, outmuscled and made too many stupid errors.
I hate bad losers!
Anyhoo a new game next week, lets hope we learn some lessons and get back to winning ways!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

For me TY and Kitchener were not up to standard yesterday but will hopefully improve (I do worry about TY throwing though and Kitchener seems lightweight)...the less said about Ryan and Kalamafoni the better our backrow was embarrassing and does not have the calibre needed in todays game for me but Hamilton and Williams did add some good impetus

I would go 6. Williams 7. BOC (I really thought BOC would be a lot better than he has shown thus far in his Tigers career but I am still hoping) 8. Hamilton for next week

Backs did look like they will spark once they have bedded in but winning them ball looks like a big issue...Ford was heavily targeted and will come good but again this will be another frustrating season imo as our backrow just cannot compete with big teams

Next week will be a very interesting match now
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

It seems that Tigers have been overhyped in the pre-season - yet again.

I thought Bath were on the wrong side of a lot of poor decisions by a very poor ref. Bath played with more belief and if they can build on this will be a force to be reckoned with. Leicester were incredibly inept, butchering attacking opportunities one after the other.

For two weeks it has been constant talk about the "stellar" Leicester backline - cant see it myself, and would take the Sarries, Wasps, or Bath backline over the Tigers. With Manu in the team, Stella backline might be a more fitting description. Yet again proof why Tuilagi shouldn't be anywhere near the England side. When faced with a routine 3 on 1 overlap under no pressure, he chose to take the ball into contact and then try to throw a miracle pass. Tuilagi is not the Messiah, he is one dimensional and obviously has a lot to do to get in Eddie Jones side.

Priestland outplayed the much vaunted Ford who had another one of his days - although George Ford's pass for Rokoduguni's Try was perfect....

The last lineout summed it up - after working good field position and pressure, they didn't even try to move the jumpers around. it was so telegraphed.

Cole is (and i'll say it again) a liability.

Collectively, they aren't streetwise and savvy enough to be taken seriously, however flash the backline looks.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 am For me TY and Kitchener were not up to standard yesterday but will hopefully improve (I do worry about TY throwing though and Kitchener seems lightweight)...the less said about Ryan and Kalamafoni the better our backrow was embarrassing and does not have the calibre needed in todays game for me but Hamilton and Williams did add some good impetus

I would go 6. Williams 7. BOC (I really thought BOC would be a lot better than he has shown thus far in his Tigers career but I am still hoping) 8. Hamilton for next week

Backs did look like they will spark once they have bedded in but winning them ball looks like a big issue...Ford was heavily targeted and will come good but again this will be another frustrating season imo as our backrow just cannot compete with big teams

Next week will be a very interesting match now
I kind of agree about our backrow but I don't think the second row is any better.
Bit harsh on Kalamfoni and Ryan considering that was there first games yet retaining BOC who has been here two years.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I'd bring in Williams and Hamilton for Ryan and Kalamofoni and drop Ryan altogether for Mapapalangi.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 am I'd bring in Williams and Hamilton for Ryan and Kalamofoni and drop Ryan altogether for Mapapalangi.
I thought Kalamafoni was pretty good. He never gave up and his work rate was excellent. The pre-match hype was just that...hype...a back row of Garvey, Louw and Faletau was always going to be difficult to contain, and so it proved.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Roly wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am It seems that Tigers have been overhyped in the pre-season - yet again.

I thought Bath were on the wrong side of a lot of poor decisions by a very poor ref. Bath played with more belief and if they can build on this will be a force to be reckoned with. Leicester were incredibly inept, butchering attacking opportunities one after the other.

For two weeks it has been constant talk about the "stellar" Leicester backline - cant see it myself, and would take the Sarries, Wasps, or Bath backline over the Tigers. With Manu in the team, Stella backline might be a more fitting description. Yet again proof why Tuilagi shouldn't be anywhere near the England side. When faced with a routine 3 on 1 overlap under no pressure, he chose to take the ball into contact and then try to throw a miracle pass. Tuilagi is not the Messiah, he is one dimensional and obviously has a lot to do to get in Eddie Jones side.

Priestland outplayed the much vaunted Ford who had another one of his days - although George Ford's pass for Rokoduguni's Try was perfect....

The last lineout summed it up - after working good field position and pressure, they didn't even try to move the jumpers around. it was so telegraphed.

Collectively, they aren't streetwise and savvy enough to be taken seriously, however flash the backline looks.
Roly it really does seem like you relish these opportunities to troll your supposed club...yes Manu has poor vision imo too but your gambit just shows you actually enjoy blasting Tigers and only come on here to do so...please get a life
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:17 am
Roly wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am It seems that Tigers have been overhyped in the pre-season - yet again.

Roly it really does seem like you relish these opportunities to troll your supposed club...yes Manu has poor vision imo too but your gambit just shows you actually enjoy blasting Tigers and only come on here to do so...please get a life
Please face up to reality.

Was I the only one to spot that Tuilagi was one-dimensional? Have I been the only one to spot that Tigers were far below expectation (again)? Hardly, yet it seems that if I say it, it's trolling.

Me get a life? May I counter with requesting you mind your own business.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

There is venting your team was poor but as I stated you really seem to relish this and I cannot fathom how you claim to support Tigers when you have not said a positive word about them in the 100+ posts I can recollect...