Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PaleoTiger

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by PaleoTiger »

In reply to the OP regarding team selection, I was talking to Dan Cole & BOC on Friday who were sitting in the hospitality balcony. BOC failed the HIA but fit for this week and Cole said he will be back for Bath game.

I personally think that both will start against Bath with either LH or MW at 6 and SK at 8. MOC will be looking for quick turnover ball and tackling and will play a genuine 7, with LH on the bench to cover back row if not playing. Against stronger forward teams I think you may well see a different stronger back row. Agree on previous points that Brady will play if fit with Matt Smith on bench, JF to cover FH and FB. Assuming Manu plays then he will get subbed so you know a centre will play, so think MS will be bench as can cover centres and wing.

Gutted as on holiday so will be watching texts / app and hopefully watching game on prem tv a day later.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Doghashaditsday does that mean Cole and Thompstone are still injured? I've heard on the grapevine that Brendan
O'Connor will be fit for Sunday so that's good news. I would still have Tom Croft on the bench as an impact substitute he can be a real asset if Tigers are struggling in the line out. I would also have Harry Thacker as sub hooker as his ground work is so much better than McGuigan even given the fact that McGuigan's Scrum skills are better, So my Team would be:-

15, Veianu. 14. Thompstone (if fit). 13. Tuilagi. 12. Toomua. 11. May. 10. Ford. 9, B.Youngs

1. Genge. 2, T Youngs . 3, Mullipola. 4. Barrow. 5,Kitchener. 6. Williams or Hamilton, 7, O'Connor. 8. Kalamafoni.

Subs Bench, 16. H Thacker. 17. Balmain. 18. Bateman. 19, Fitzgerald 20. Croft. 21 J Ford. 22. Holmes. 23. Tait.

I think that side could do the business. :smt026
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

Balmain's gone to Gloucester, Noddy.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:17 pm Leicester by 12 for me
That's what I predicted on Superbru but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Noddy555 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 am Doghashaditsday does that mean Cole and Thompstone are still injured? I've heard on the grapevine that Brendan
O'Connor will be fit for Sunday so that's good news. I would still have Tom Croft on the bench as an impact substitute he can be a real asset if Tigers are struggling in the line out. I would also have Harry Thacker as sub hooker as his ground work is so much better than McGuigan even given the fact that McGuigan's Scrum skills are better, So my Team would be:-

15, Veianu. 14. Thompstone (if fit). 13. Tuilagi. 12. Toomua. 11. May. 10. Ford. 9, B.Youngs

1. Genge. 2, T Youngs . 3, Mullipola. 4. Barrow. 5,Kitchener. 6. Williams or Hamilton, 7, O'Connor. 8. Kalamafoni.

Subs Bench, 16. H Thacker. 17. Balmain. 18. Bateman. 19, Fitzgerald 20. Croft. 21 J Ford. 22. Holmes. 23. Tait.

I'd start Slater and have Owen Williams on the bench. :smt025
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

If Coley is saying he's back from his Lions rest won't the Bath 3 be back too ??
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am If Coley is saying he's back from his Lions rest won't the Bath 3 be back too ??
I think I read somewhere that Faletau had a run out for them against Leinster in their last match so I expect they are now likely to be available.
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

Positively busing for this weekend now! Couldn't make either of the home preseason games due to festivals and a wedding so massively looking forward to getting back to welford road!
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

BFG wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 am
Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am If Coley is saying he's back from his Lions rest won't the Bath 3 be back too ??
I think I read somewhere that Faletau had a run out for them against Leinster in their last match so I expect they are now likely to be available.
Watson and Faletau played in the Tests, so presumably their stand down period started a week and a half after Cole's???
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Granby wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:56 am
BFG wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 am
Watson and Faletau played in the Tests, so presumably their stand down period started a week and a half after Cole's???
No idea to be honest Granby as I don't know the rules but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Faletau was selected to play against Leinster last weekend, didn't he spent some time out last season so perhaps that changes things!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think the england lions players are contracted to have rests depending on how much they played during the tour and how much rest they got.
Also apparently JJ might have an injury.
Given Watson played pretty much all the test for nearly 80 mins he might be out.

But teams can play non england lions players how ever they want.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm I think the england lions players are contracted to have rests depending on how much they played during the tour and how much rest they got.
Also apparently JJ might have an injury.
Given Watson played pretty much all the test for nearly 80 mins he might be out.

But teams can play non england lions players how ever they want.
Read a piece yesterday on Watson (BBC I think) who hopes to figure in early season matches because he was injured for chunks of last season, thereby negating the enforced Lions lay-off period
As Good As It Gets
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Noddy555 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 am Doghashaditsday does that mean Cole and Thompstone are still injured? I've heard on the grapevine that Brendan

Noddy, Thompstone is out injured and I left Cole out on the assumption that he was resting after Lions tour but rumour has it he is available but I would still start with Logo and bring Dan on in the second half on the basis that Dan has not played in the warm up games
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

JJ and Watson in. So if Burns plays it's Bath best backline,their back row is arguably better than ours in Louw, Garvey,Toby so big game needed from our tight 5 with Bath missing a few.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

'TigersFans' on Twitter saying:

"Louw, Watson and Joseph all in the Bath squad for Sunday. Underhill just started training. Catt, Batty, van Vuuren, Thomas, Lahiff all out as are Ewels and Attwood. Locks are likely to be Stooke and Charteris."

Guy Mercer reportedly on loan to Ospreys.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives