Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ticket and cup fiasco

Post by MrPartridge »

I don't like to moan but:

1. Bought tickets at the ticket office last night. Paid using contactless (2x £12 standing). Payment failed as contactless is not an option although it was offered to me by person serving me and via the card reader. So we started again and I did chip and pin. Tickets printed, sorted. Walked up to gate 20, not allowed in. No bar code on tickets. Back to ticket office to start again... you get the picture.

2. Buy a drink. Drink it. Go back for re-fill. Told can't re-fill your empty cup. Options: buy at full price again and accumulate extra cups or go exchange your cup for a £1 and then buy drink. End of game at the Goldsmiths end, one 'drink for £1 return' stand shut. Other had queues of 30+ people.

I believe as a club we started in 1880. I wonder if it was as hard to get in the ground and buy a drink 137 years ago? And I haven't even mentioned the fact the big screen broke in the second-half!

Nice touch in tribute to Bruce Forsyth mind with the introduction of Welford's Wheel of Fortune at half-time. That was a surreal treat. Big bonus please to whoever came up with that gem.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Ticket and cup fiasco

Post by Seal »

It makes sense not to refill the cups, with the bar setups it's very difficult to track whose is whose, and pouring into dirty cups takes longer as it produces more head.

However if they do have that policy the cup return at the end of the game should be easy. I've had similar issues at Sixways and the Ricoh.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Would agree about the tickets we requested they be posted to us 3 times. When they didn't arrive rang the ticket office who advised that they would be collectible before the game which they were except that when presented at the gate they were void do had to walk back to the ticket office to get reprints. All rather unnecessary and unorganised
MJB

Post by MJB »

MrPartridge wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 am I don't like to moan but:

2. Buy a drink. Drink it. Go back for re-fill. Told can't re-fill your empty cup. Options: buy at full price again and accumulate extra cups or go exchange your cup for a £1 and then buy drink.

As an ex-barman myself I'm wondering would it really be so difficult for the bar staff to accept the used cups and replace them with clean ones at the bar?
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Seal wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:19 am It makes sense not to refill the cups, with the bar setups it's very difficult to track whose is whose, and pouring into dirty cups takes longer as it produces more head.

However if they do have that policy the cup return at the end of the game should be easy. I've had similar issues at Sixways and the Ricoh.
For hygiene and health reasons you are not allowed to refill cups. Is it really too much to hang on to your empties and return them in one go. I have never had to wait too long to get my money back.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

MJB wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:56 am would it really be so difficult for the bar staff to accept the used cups and replace them with clean ones at the bar?
That's what they were doing last season.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Last season you handed over your dirty cup and got a clean full one in return, end of evening one cup to return to get your deposit back. I was not aware that system had changed, I am not happy if it has and I will consider not bothering to drink at Tigers if that is the case.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yeah that's a farce!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Let's be honest the reason the club have introduced the new rule is because for every non returned cup they profit an extra £1. It is a cheap as that. They swapped empties at the bar last season for no extra cost. What has changed in 4 months?

Forgot to mention, last night at terrace entrances all bags were being thoroughly searched. Much stricter than ever before. Of course I'm sure the club line on this will be it is all to do with added security. Keeping us all safe. Very impressive.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I tjink what he's saying is you can't exchange there and then. So if you've had 4/5 pints that's £4/5 extra and then end of game the exchange bar was shut and the other one was 30 deep. So the club have earnt an extra £4/5 for nothing! If I am right that's shocking! Who wants to queue up end of game,why change it?!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Has anyone tried returning cups at Twickenham?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

Took my beer vessels back half hour after final whistle no problems at all.
Also used the scanner to print my beer ticket no problem there either.
Regarding tickets not scanning, if there is the slightest break or smudge on the bar code the reader won't recognise it.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I love Welford Rd, always feel at home there, great atmosphere, nice people and usually a decent game!

However for a long time now my biggest gripe has been the bars; poor quality/trained staff, high prices, slow service etc.
The introduction of the £1 cup system made it worse, but just about tolerable as if you couldn't be bothered to queue at the end of the game for your £1 at least it was just that, £1. Now with the system that Mr P has described, it will be intolerable. As johnthegriff says, I will probably not even bother drinking in the ground.

A ridiculous own goal by the club!!

Bring back the speed bar in the Captain's Bar (that was), beer only for us proper rugby fans!! :smt002
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why don't you all just stop buying drinks?!

If no one buys the drinks, the club will have to make changes. If you carry on buying them, as has been proven, nothing will change. Well not for the better anyway.

I'm sure you can go without a drink for 2 hours of the day can't you?!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

You do talk some guff sometimes Ellis 😉