Manu sent home

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu sent home

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I have just returned from holiday in Norfolk (what a lovely part of the Country, never been before but it was amazing..sorry off point!!) and I was hoping for a load of cool transfer gossip, but this wasn't on my thoughts.
Manu has the potential and has shown it at times to be world class, the game against the AB's sometime ago springs to mind and some premiership games where others can't get near him or if they do they are swatted away like flies. This due to injury has been to few and far between.
We have the Ashton incident, which all joking aside was not on, regardless of our feelings towards Ashton. the ferry incident was daft as was the bunny ears, no real harm done but to his reputation.
This though will have consequences for him. Good and bad.
Eddie Jones clearly rates him, but he doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke to take this sort of transgression lightly, and why should he? Manu has made a huge mistake, one he must have known he was making.
Good, and utterly selfish on my behalf as a Tigers fan first, he is fit or close to match fitness, with no England AI's or 6N's we get the benifit of this.
Manu is an adult now, he needs to know this wasn't big or clever, and it could end his England career. I will support Manu whilst in a Tigers top, he is our biggest earner for a reason. But I think his next contract will be France. Which is a huge loss for us and not as nice as Norfolk.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Wouldn't read too much into it,if Manu is back tearing up trees there's no doubt Eddie picks him!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm
Doghashadhisday wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 pm If he has got issues with alcohol, then first he has to admit it, and then he must be helped. Too many on here are quite unforgiving and want to get rid of him. On the pitch he has not let us down and injuries are not his fault. Let's get behind him and let him loose on the premiership
some sense amongst the hysteria :smt023
I usually agree with most things you two post but not this occasion.
I think this episode raises questions regarding injuries and recovery etc, and performance.
People have lost their jobs in recent times, coaches and back room staff, it's not funny IMO, but I get the impression that some players simply don't care, they earn plenty of money and do what they want when they want.
I start to wonder am I paying to watch players serious about winning or just on a good earner!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

On the contrary BFG last season I saw a group of players who very much did care. Many of them seemed shocked by Cockers' departure but quickly came to appreciate the change in style that brought. When there was a second change there was a real sense of everyone pulling together and by force of collective determination maintaining a proud record and very nearly making the final. And part of Manu's problem may be that he cares too much, he is too frustrated, too tightly wound (even though he often looks very relaxed).
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I think the players care considerably! When Cockers finally left you could finally feel a huge weight being lifted off the players and there were smiles back in the players faces, conversely you could tell the players were devastated when Mauger was unceremoniously binned. I'll never forget how much it meant to Burns and Williams when they scored in their last home game too!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't doubt that many do care but all, no way, that much is obvious!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Have only just caught up with this thread.

Manu clearly has great talent. But he is mid-20s now. Frankly, not that much time left to fulfill that potential. And this sort of thing, whatever he actually did, doesn't help, does it?
Mind you, I will be delighted if he fulfills that potential on the pitch for
Tigers rather than England.

I reserve judgement, I'm afraid.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 am Well said August.
Ok iceman, who is August? Yes the month is now August but if you are referring to me then I'am Angus. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 am
Ok iceman, who is August? Yes the month is now August but if you are referring to me then I'am Angus. :smt023
:smt005
I'd blame autocorrect on my phone but I must just prefer summer months to traditional Scottish names!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

For someone who is still only 26 far too much controversy has followed him.

He's lost enough of it (his career) to injury and needs to wise up before he loses more of his England opportunities.
Alcohol has been common to two if these. Needs to know when to stop, behave himself when Drinking and not drink when the coach says no because it doesn't fit with the training plan. Let's hope it's not part of a more serious issue.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

When you are a highly paid elite athlete it is reasonable for coaches to expect the highest standards of commitment and professionalism. There shouldn't need to be a written rule about this kind of stuff, it's pretty obvious to anyone who deserves to be in an England squad.

As others have said, it's time for Manu to choose whether he wants to spend the next 6 years striving to make the most of his potential, or to have a good party. It's one or the other. I think he'll regret it for the rest of his life if he chooses the latter.

Commit and become a legend, or **** about and be forgotten. Choose option A and you'll have another 30 years of raking in the money and the freedom to party as much as you like.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 am
I'd blame autocorrect on my phone but I must just prefer summer months to traditional Scottish names!
Rather than a summer month, August in Scotland signals the onset of winter.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 am
Rather than a summer month, August in Scotland signals the onset of winter.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

Excellent piece of man management from MoC today regarding this. Protecting his man, just like EJ did with Ford when he was criticised (albeit for different reasons). Personally I like it when a manager tells people to back off in no uncertain terms. I expect a positive response from MT to his coach now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40935725
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

murphy15 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 pm Excellent piece of man management from MoC today regarding this. Protecting his man, just like EJ did with Ford when he was criticised (albeit for different reasons). Personally I like it when a manager tells people to back off in no uncertain terms. I expect a positive response from MT to his coach now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40935725
I agree but I bet he got a serious telling off in private!!
Soggypitch