Manu sent home

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu sent home

Post by mightymouse »

If drink ... then marginally better than injured... however I'm afraid if that is the case then I will be very worried even so.

A man who has been injured for years... not able to play for club or country. Why? if this is true, would he not accept the rules willingly, desperately try to impress , do anything to play, accept any rules ... surely to god you would do what it takes if you have waited that long. I cannot believe that anyone in that situation would so stupid as to jeopardise their chance for something so :censored:.

I know a couple of up and coming young semi pro rugby players who frankly have little chance of the big time, and yet I am constantly staggered by their restraint, preferring orange juice to beer whilst down the pub. Even at that lowly level, things have changed dramatically in rugby. Why, therefore would one of the highest paid players in this profession who has done so little recently and owes so much to his various employers, be so obtuse.

If the story is true, and that is about the 4th time I've used the word if, then I would be deeply worried about the man's "attitude" and be even more worried, as I think many on here have already discussed in the past, that we have backed the wrong horse. What is more we have backed that horse long and hard with a substantial amount of the club's money and very probably at the detriment of the rest of the club's playing resources in the hope that one day that horse is going to win big. Let us all now hope that this Gamble has not been all in vain, and not because of the horses, ability or injury chequered career, but because of its temperament, it's heart for the race!

We'll see.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Why would a word meaning lack of strength of character or being irresponsible be censored by this website?

Is it because the word had an F and an E and a CK and a LESS in it ? ... seems odd!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Back in the day when I was employable, we had a rule for our younger employees - 'Get as ratted as you want tonight but work starts at 8am and you'd better be fit to do it!' We weren't paid sportsmen but we were highly skilled (yes, really!), highly paid and highly motivated client-facing professionals.

Some, of course, pushed the rule to the limit and the good ones, we kept. Around the age of 25, I'd say to them "Time to grow up now". They either matured and progressed within what was then the fastest growing company in global history or we parted company. I know for a fact that most that we 'let go' never again achieved to their potential.

Manu - you're 26. Time to grow up now.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Now we know the origin of capacity denominations in the computer industry- it started with "terror bite"......a good :censored: from Mr Strawcleader.
As Good As It Gets
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I should feel sorry for Manu.
How many chances does he get? He appears to be a serial embarrassment whether in an England or British Lions camp. He should have kept his head down after long term injury and securing an excellent contract.
Whether as some say "A storm in a tea cup" or not with the financial implications my question is - "is he worth it".

Strong leadership from MOC needed if he doesn't prove his capabilities - and start earning his pay grade - ship him out.
Potential needs to be turned into productivity. :smt013
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree and disagree with so many posts on this subject. I don't see why Hartley gets a mention the theme of this thread has nothing to do with him. Manu appears to have transgressed the unwritten rules of a training camp and has been disciplined, hopefully that is the end of the matter and when he has proved himself on the pitch he will return to the England fold knowing a little better just what is expected of him. Drinking to the early hours was daft, he has to make up his mind if he really wants to be a professional rugby player. Success has come easily for him, injuries mean he has been very well paid and given little in return. Now is the time to dedicate himself to making the most of the rest of his career, he has undoubted talent and hopefully this well publicised punishment will prove to be the kick up the backside he needs, and maybe another one from big brother Freddie will help.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Johnthegriff speaks commonsense . Given his lack of games in the past year or so Manu was lucky that EJ showed faith in him by recalling him to the squad training camp . Pretty stupid of Manu to screw things up so badly - he needs to decide if he wants to fulfill his potential or not .
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes well he doesn't seem to have learnt from the last ocassion he went out drinking and got into bother with the law, so I won't hold my breath on him growing up any time soon. I'm expecting him to get injured within a few games anyway so he's definately moved from Asset to Liability on the Balance Sheet for me.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

If he has got issues with alcohol, then first he has to admit it, and then he must be helped. Too many on here are quite unforgiving and want to get rid of him. On the pitch he has not let us down and injuries are not his fault. Let's get behind him and let him loose on the premiership
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 pm If he has got issues with alcohol, then first he has to admit it, and then he must be helped. Too many on here are quite unforgiving and want to get rid of him. On the pitch he has not let us down and injuries are not his fault. Let's get behind him and let him loose on the premiership
some sense amongst the hysteria :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 pm Back in the day when I was employable, we had a rule for our younger employees - 'Get as ratted as you want tonight but work starts at 8am and you'd better be fit to do it!' We weren't paid sportsmen but we were highly skilled (yes, really!), highly paid and highly motivated client-facing professionals.

Some, of course, pushed the rule to the limit and the good ones, we kept. Around the age of 25, I'd say to them "Time to grow up now". They either matured and progressed within what was then the fastest growing company in global history or we parted company. I know for a fact that most that we 'let go' never again achieved to their potential.

Manu - you're 26. Time to grow up now.
The Torygraph nicked my line!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... -grow-now/
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

GB72 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 pm
I for one am hoping that in years to come we are all talking about a "stellar career" rather than lamenting what could have been
Could it be that Manu's problem is with his Stella career, Artois where are you???? :smt030
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

wormus wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 am
I for one am hoping that in years to come we are all talking about a "stellar career" rather than lamenting what could have been
Could it be that Manu's problem is with his Stella career, Artois where are you???? :smt030
Very good! :smt023
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

wormus wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 am
He will need courage to get over this incident :smt006
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Joking aside, Manu needs to know when to flick the switch. On England camp isn't the time or the place. It's almost like a few days away with work in a different environment and the mischievous streak comes out ! It was stupid and he needs to grow up, but for the last 3 years or so, he's been sat in the physio room, doing his exercises, stretching, rehab, weights, etc ....repeat...repeat. There's nothing more soul destroying than watching your team mates running around, playing the game you love while you're sat on an exercise ball working on your core. You don't feel part of the team, it plays on your mind, you wonder if you can get back to the levels you were at. It doesn't mean you should get hammered when you get an opportunity. The lad has something in him that every now and then takes over and he can't help it.