'Nuff said.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu sent home

Post by johnthegriff »

Firstly we don't know what the offence is. Manu is a great rugby player but not one of the games intellectuals.
His record is not good but actually not terrible.
First offence thumping Ashton. (Understandable)
Second offence jumping off a ferry, daft but he was very young and for an islander this was not outrageous behaviour, and it put no one in danger.
Third, rabbit ears behind David Cameron, bad manners and stupid but no one got hurt.
Fourth the arrest, inexcusable, I have heard what I think is the true story and believe the press made a meal of it, but it was stupid and reflected badly on him and Tigers.
He is a young man but old enough to be responsible for his actions. He has tremendous talent but for the past two years he has been paid a lot of money, and had a lot spent on him for so far little return. It is not too much to ask that he treats Leicester management and the fans with the respect they deserve and dedicates himself to getting fit, preparing for the coming season and playing the way we know he can.
I stress we do not know why he has been sent home and should not jump to conclusion but it is clear he has to do things on the pitch to justify a return to the England set up, many have been forgiven for bad behaviour in the past and no doubt will be in the future but there are limits!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Total DH! If he/they can't adhere to the EJ requests then so be it. Obviously another England cap not wanted.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm
Phil B wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm If it's alcohol related, then it's disgraceful, in my opinion. Professional sportsman, given an opportunity to train with the elite, and this is how he shows how grateful he is? :smt013
Absolutely disgraceful - a rugby player drinking beer. Whatever next, a cricketer drinking cider? The shame of it. :smt046
Phil B is quite right IMO!
It's all well and good going out for a drink but there is a time and a place for it.
If your gaffer asks you not to do so then if you respect that request then you don't!
If you recall the commitment of the Japanese rugby team at the last World Cup, the fitness levels and desire in the dying minutes against South Africa and the sacrifices that might've been made for lesser players to reach that level, then it's disappointing that highly talented and paid professionals can't stay away from a beer for just a few days!
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Whichever was you look at this story, it does taint. Really hope to see Manu play consistently without injury next season but have a feeling there's a self destruct button that keeps being pushed. Similar to other pro athletes who've come back from major injury in the past, if he wants to sustain top flight rugby he'll need to alter his game given his world class reputation .

If that ego isnt controlled he'll be out with another long term injury soon into next season; the ligament injury against Saries was avoidable if he had just gone down. No surprise that a bone / muscle / ligament will give pretty quickly with three rugby players hanging off you.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I see the keyboard warriors and righteously outraged are highly visible again. Storm and teacup are the words which come to mind.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Eddie Jones is a complete hypocrite, he turns a blind eye to someone who has been banned many times for an accumulation of some 13 months due to offences committed on the pitch and sends someone home for drinking once whilst off the pitch due to so called " cultural issues" .
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:40 pm Eddie Jones is a complete hypocrite, he turns a blind eye to someone who has been banned many times for an accumulation of some 13 months due to offences committed on the pitch and sends someone home for drinking once whilst off the pitch due to so called " cultural issues" .
Could not agree more.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Agree with you Sapajo in regard to DH - I would not have made him captain or even selected him but surely the bottom line is that if you are being paid to do a job and the top boss says you don't do this or that and you want to stay in a job then you don't! If DH had been involved in this incident then I would have hoped that he would have been sent home too. I don't know the ins and outs of what Manu has done other than what has been suggested on here and other places but it certainly seems certain that he has not followed what was required of him. I have seen one of the Tigers players in our pub with his family regularly on Sat nights during pre-season and would hope that he is ok to continue during the season but not before Sunday games. He behaves totally responsibly and could not possibly be in breech of any code of conduct something which Manu does not seem able to do. I don't know Manu's personal relationship status but maybe a good partner can bring him into line - someone needs to as he is too big a talent to let it go to waste but not more important than the team he is playing for.
Hehehehehehehehe
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Oh dear although he is now mid twenties I feel Manu still has a lot of growing up to do, Is this a sign of a problem with Alcohol and the first indications of Alcoholism or merely a temporary lapse? Let's hope it's the latter.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:44 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:40 pm Eddie Jones is a complete hypocrite, he turns a blind eye to someone who has been banned many times for an accumulation of some 13 months due to offences committed on the pitch and sends someone home for drinking once whilst off the pitch due to so called " cultural issues" .
Could not agree more.
Selective opinions, IMO!
You are missing the point here, if lads can't follow orders then trust will not exist!
Rugger players are often asked to go out onto the pitch and make the opposition uncomfortable, if they do naughty things to achieve this then gaffers rarely care how players do it as long as it works, and if a line is crossed then don't get caught, that's rugby!
There is little harm in going for a beer or two, unless you are asked not to in which case if you still choose to do so then it shows a lack of respect to those asking it.
Not following instructions is as much a cultural issue as anything else.
The fact it was alcohol related is immaterial, it could've just as easily been playing with their Barbie dolls when told not to do so, the fact is TWO players failed to do as requested so it's bye bye!
Last edited by BFG on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

There's a lot of filling in of gaps at the moment, but I'd like a few more details first.

To my mind, based on what we know, there are 3 possibilities, assuming no other parties were involved:

- Boozing was banned in camp, but they went out anyway;
- The team was on an authorised bonding social and they decided to get trollied;
- The team was on an authorised bonding social and they decided to have a scrap.

Worse case scenario, to my mind would be the first one, as that would involve a sober decision to flaunt the rules and disrespect Eddie who has gone out of his way to talk him up.

Of course, it could be a mix of all 3 (banned drinking, got smashed and had a scrap) which would be appalling.

He is a muppet, but how much of a muppet I think he is will depend which of (or combination of) the above is true.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

There are good posts from Johnthegriff and iceman, yes we do not yet know the full story and possibly never will. However Tigers have spent a considerable amount of money on his wages and invested heavily on his return to the game. On the day Tigers are trying to have a "Magical Monday!" with new squad announcements all this good news is swept away by stupidity from one of our star players who should have much more regard for the lifeline that Eddie Jones threw him and he decided to discard and more so for Tigers the etiquette and high standards that are expected of them. Manu really now must concentrate on playing for Tigers as I feel he has lost the chance of the autumn internationals, however if he plays well for Tigers then who knows he might be invited for the Barbarians v New Zealand @ Twickenham on 4th November but that rests with him and the Tigers management, who I suppose punish him too.
No one is bigger than the club. :smt009
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BFG wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:20 pm
Could not agree more.
Selective opinions, IMO!
You are missing the point here, if lads can't follow orders then trust will not exist!
Rugger players are often asked to go out onto the pitch and make the opposition uncomfortable, if they do naughty things to achieve this then gaffers rarely care how players do it as long as it works, and if a line is crossed then don't get caught, that's rugby!
There is little harm in going for a beer or two, unless you are asked not to in which case if you still choose to do so then it shows a lack of respect to those asking it.
The fact it was alcohol related is immaterial, it could've just as easily been playing with their Barbie dolls when told not to do so, the fact is TWO players failed to do as requested so it's bye bye!
So if players failed to do as requested so it's bye bye so please explain how come Hartley is anywhere near the England squad then? As I say it's utter rank hypocracy from Jones.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:02 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:20 pm
Could not agree more.
Selective opinions, IMO!
So if players failed to do as requested so it's bye bye so please explain how come Hartley is anywhere near the England squad then? As I say it's utter rank hypocracy from Jones.
Because players are sometimes asked to do things to get results, they are often asked to do naughty things, rile up opponents, put them off their game etc, as a former player I know this!
There are just plain nutters and then there are committed players, the two shouldn't be mixed just to suit.
As far as I am aware Hartley has never let EJ down, he got a chance and took it, past indiscretions if indeed they were that and not the result of orders from above are in the past.
I've met Hartley, lovely man off the pitch and committed on and off it!
One thing I like about EJ is that day one of his reign was day one for everyone, he has opened it up to many players and had a good look of his own, reputations count for very little and clearly he is a man not to be crossed!