Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scott11 »

I agree with you straw! Betham fell off a cliff,badly!
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Such a dramatic decline of a player who seemed to be doing so well the season before made me think there was something else going on with Betham, not that it's our right to know.

Not just the form drop but he did not seem happy at all.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Betham was excellent first season - it seemed like every game he had a couple of world class moments where he would create, score or save a try. After that it looked like he lost interest, instead it seemed like he butchered or gave away 2/3 tries every game with handling errors and disinterested tackling. No idea why, but his performances weren't good and May should be a BIG improvement.

Betham has all the talent to be an international back, but for whatever reason I think at the end of his career, he'll be looked back on as a bit of a journeyman...
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Didn't Betham come to Tigers as a centre who could play on the wing as and when it became necessary?
May is a winger, period, and is lightning quick, and if Ford, Tuilagi and Toomua can work their magic and create space then our wingers will have lots of try scoring opportunities.
An exchange deal for Slater sounds good to me, although it would be sad to see him go, but if he gets regular first team rugby with Glaws, then good for him!
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

No he was a winger who could play in the centre
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:01 pm Didn't Betham come to Tigers as a centre who could play on the wing as and when it became necessary?
May is a winger, period, and is lightning quick, and if Ford, Tuilagi and Toomua can work their magic and create space then our wingers will have lots of try scoring opportunities.
An exchange deal for Slater sounds good to me, although it would be sad to see him go, but if he gets regular first team rugby with Glaws, then good for him!
No he came as a winger.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

He came as a winger but was much better at centre lol
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

In fact he played at fullback and wing back in Oz😀
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 pm As I say in my opinion of our 4 locks there isn't really a fag papers width between them but for me it is Barrow, Kitchener and Fitzgerald before him. Also interesting where he plays Mike Williams and possibly follows the like of Scott Barrett who is equally comfortable at 4 or 6
Fitzgerald was below par last season in much the same way Betham was in his second season. Sure he works hard but as a lineout operator he is sub par (nearly cost us the game against Munster because he can't organise maul defence at the lineout) and he isn't an enforcer, in no way is he more than a stand in blindside. Quite frankly a fit and in form Slater would be above him every day of the week. I'd much rather offer Fitzgerald as part of the transfer.

Also and more importantly Gloucester have signed Ackermann as head coach. He's done an incredible job at the Lions and I can't think of many worse ideas than giving him a leader, enforcer, capable lineout leader and someone able of playing his mobile offloading game. In one stroke we are significantly increasing the ability of the Gloucester tight five as they appoint someone who will make the most of it.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pmAlso and more importantly Gloucester have signed Ackermann as head coach. He's done an incredible job at the Lions and I can't think of many worse ideas than giving him a leader, enforcer, capable lineout leader and someone able of playing his mobile offloading game. In one stroke we are significantly increasing the ability of the Gloucester tight five as they appoint someone who will make the most of it.
Nail hit on the head imo.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 pm As I say in my opinion of our 4 locks there isn't really a fag papers width between them but for me it is Barrow, Kitchener and Fitzgerald before him. Also interesting where he plays Mike Williams and possibly follows the like of Scott Barrett who is equally comfortable at 4 or 6
Fitzgerald was below par last season in much the same way Betham was in his second season. Sure he works hard but as a lineout operator he is sub par (nearly cost us the game against Munster because he can't organise maul defence at the lineout) and he isn't an enforcer, in no way is he more than a stand in blindside. Quite frankly a fit and in form Slater would be above him every day of the week. I'd much rather offer Fitzgerald as part of the transfer.

Also and more importantly Gloucester have signed Ackermann as head coach. He's done an incredible job at the Lions and I can't think of many worse ideas than giving him a leader, enforcer, capable lineout leader and someone able of playing his mobile offloading game. In one stroke we are significantly increasing the ability of the Gloucester tight five as they appoint someone who will make the most of it.
Think Slater blotted his copy book last season by saying something than didn't go down well
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

People who believe that - when fit - Slater is our fourth choice lock have very short memories.

I take the argument for Barrow - a younger player who has impressed and has potential at the lineout. I also understand that Slater has suffered from injuries.

But aside from that, Slater is in a different class. He was made club captain ahead of all sorts of current and former internationals. He carries harder than any of our other locks. He leads better than any of our other locks. His ball skills are miles ahead of any of our other locks. And he embodies what Leicester is about better than any of our other locks.

If the rumour is true - and we are swapping a leader and enforcer like Slater for a sideways speedster like May - then it will be a sad day for the club. It won't be the end of the club by any means, but it will be worrying.
Never believe generalisations
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

BG01 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:54 pm If the rumour is true - and we are swapping a leader and enforcer like Slater for a sideways speedster like May - then it will be a sad day for the club. It won't be the end of the club by any means, but it will be worrying.
No we are not, these players are polar opposites. MOC has swapped another back for another forward. This swap comparison is not Slater vs May.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

2014 wasn't it when Slater quite rightly got an England call-up ? He was in superb form then but I struggle to think of him returning to that form since then, admittedly partly due to injuries. A Slater in that form would improve Gloucester for sure and he will bring leadership and some steel with him, but it will take more than that to turn the Cherry and Whites into a forward force. I see it as a similar move to when Jim Hamilton went to Kingsholm, in that he did improve their forward pack but not significantly enough to turn them into a winning unit.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 pm 2014 wasn't it when Slater quite rightly got an England call-up ? He was in superb form then but I struggle to think of him returning to that form since then, admittedly partly due to injuries. A Slater in that form would improve Gloucester for sure and he will bring leadership and some steel with him, but it will take more than that to turn the Cherry and Whites into a forward force. I see it as a similar move to when Jim Hamilton went to Kingsholm, in that he did improve their forward pack but not significantly enough to turn them into a winning unit.
My point entirely. Slater 3 seasons ago was near the top of the tree. Since then, through injuries his form has not reached those levels. All a matter of opinion and as I say there really is not a lot between the 4, personally I rate Fitzgerald a lot higher than some of my fellow posters