Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by L Smith »

Noddy555 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 pm Still think we need to get hold of another full back unless I've missed something over the last 10 days as I've been away, Ok we have Tait and Veainu but the first is getting on a bit and has lost that yard of pace he had when younger and the second has admitted to me personally that his favourite position is on the wing. So any progress in this?
There's Worth as well but I would like to see him as understudy to an experienced 15.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

L Smith wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 am
Noddy555 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 pm Still think we need to get hold of another full back unless I've missed something over the last 10 days as I've been away, Ok we have Tait and Veainu but the first is getting on a bit and has lost that yard of pace he had when younger and the second has admitted to me personally that his favourite position is on the wing. So any progress in this?
There's Worth as well but I would like to see him as understudy to an experienced 15.
I thought May was also a fullback, I am not a great fan but he is rapid, I do not have great confidence in his defence though, oh by the way I am currently in the states and have been told we have May and Gloucester have Slater, but can't see anything confirming this on the Tigers website
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I suppose it's worth mentioning, if anyone has noticed but it's Ed's birthday on August 1st (29th)
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

L Smith wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 am
Worth needs the opportunity to cement a first-team place, played well in the Anglo-Welsh Cup last season. I suspect this season will decide whether he stays or goes.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 pm
Guess we may find out more quite soon if the Chiefs lose tomorrow..?
I hope so, but with time passing and rumours seemingly leading nowhere, I'm increasingly thinking we are all getting our hopes up, and little will now in fact happen...please tell me I'm wrong!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am
strawclearer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 pm
Guess we may find out more quite soon if the Chiefs lose tomorrow..?
I hope so, but with time passing and rumours seemingly leading nowhere, I'm increasingly thinking we are all getting our hopes up, and little will now in fact happen...please tell me I'm wrong!
Who knows, but watching the Crusaders v Chiefs I hope you, and others are not wrong, he's a heck of a player, despite being on the (currently) losing side!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Well Chiefs lose so we should know a little more very soon re DMAC or/and his brother. Would still be surprised to see him come as he seems to be wanting to play 10 rather than 15 but would still snap him up if the funds are there.

Whilst I am posting - does anyone KNOW who our marque players are?? Years ago it seemed easy to have a reasonably accurate guess but now I just don't know. May will not come cheap (Glaws fans say he was on very good salary there but then again I suspect Ed is too). GF must be a high earner as must Toomua but I just don't have any idea.
Hehehehehehehehe
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Toomua and Cole maybe as marquee players ? Tight head props normally command the big bucks.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Does it matter who are the Marquee players, it is just two salaries outside the wage cap?
Our current possible fullbacks include Tait, Veainu, Holmes, Owen and Worthht . I think we have the position covered although obviously only Telusa is currently star quality in that position but Holmes could be and George Worth might develop into that category given further opportunities. the season ahead looks exciting!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It was just who could be included and who couldn't I was interested in - think this means DMAC can't if Toomua continues under the new player rule and isn't included in the salary cap. I also think that GF can't be a marque player neither can JM if he comes, as they have played for another club last year

For the 2015-16 campaign, a second marquee player can be recruited who is new to Premiership rugby next term and has not played in the competition for at least 12 months
which I don't think has been changed.

(c) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as their first Excluded Player who:
(i) has been a Player of the Club for at least two full Salary Cap Years prior to the
Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year, other
than a Player who (A) qualifies under Regulation 3.3(c)(i) or (B) has only
been a Player of a Club during the previous Salary Cap Year as a replacement
for an Injured Player following dispensation under Regulation 5; or
(iii) has been a Player (but not an Excluded Player) for the Club in the previous
Salary Cap Year and was not a Player for any other Club for at least one Salary
Cap Year immediately prior to joining the Club.
(d) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as a second Excluded Player who:
(i) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year; or
(ii) was that Club’s second Excluded Player in the previous Salary Cap Year.

The rules are 56 pages long for any other nerd that wants to read them - hehehehehe

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sotic ... 201617.pdf
Hehehehehehehehe
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

iRe: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scuttle »

A wise person once said "be interested in information you can do something with, and let the rest pass by untroubled". On the basis there are 56 pages of rules I will let them pass untroubled and just watch the rugby.
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Our Marquee players are Toomua and Manu for what i am told.
I would imagine that the Slater, McCaffrey, JPP and Betham cap could fit May and a top 15 (If that is happening).

Still think DMAC is get able really and that it might happen.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 pm Our Marquee players are Toomua and Manu for what i am told.
I would imagine that the Slater, McCaffrey, JPP and Betham cap could fit May and a top 15 (If that is happening).

thanks - just what I wanted to know.
Hehehehehehehehe
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 pm Our Marquee players are Toomua and Manu for what i am told.

Not optimistic but would love to be proven wrong
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

May is an international winger with the kind of pace we haven't had for years. His defence and aerial ability have both improved in recent years.

Slater is an excellent player who deserved to be capped by England before his injury setbacks began, but is in a position where we are very well stocked.

I'm ok with it, but obviously it would be sad to see Slater leave, I'm sure he will do very well at Glouc if he goes.

Could be a sign that we have failed to get a top class FB and O'Connor is resigned to keeping Veainu in that position.