Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

doublecarpet

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by doublecarpet »

Have we actually got a recruitment strategy in place?
We seemed to have released some decent first team players without much of a definitive plan to replace them?
Five weeks before the season kicks-off and we've got a squad of 37, evidently short of backs.
Bizarre and very amateurish in my opinion.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

For me 1/2P is a good trade for JPP, both offer similar things (positioning & defence) except 1/2P is a world class kicker and has a few extra years on his side, of course we would all rather DMAC but if the deal is dead we need another option and 1/2P isn't a bad one
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I certainly wouldn't moan at any Barrett!!! Jordie is a miles better FB than LHP already!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:29 pm I certainly wouldn't moan at any Barrett!!! Jordie is a miles better FB than LHP already!
Back in reality the rest of us are considering players who might actually join.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Keep up TheRock I was answering a post!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm Keep up TheRock I was answering a post!
Yep and I was answering yours.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Marty does seem like the only alternative to Halfpenny ATM and probably cheaper.
May and Moriarty would be for 18/19 surely? Still under contract?

Anyone heard anymore on Arno Botha?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Amanaki Mafi too? Anymore on the American hooker/prop and what about Trainor the prop?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 pm Amanaki Mafi too? Anymore on the American hooker/prop and what about Trainor the prop?
Can't see Mafi happening.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

For the right price Halfpenny would be a good addition. There are 2 obvious problems though. Firstly, the 'right price' and 1/2p haven't gone together for a while, especially when you factor international commitments. Secondly, Tigers wouldn't be his first choice (Bath rumoured to have offered a lot then backed out) and he isn't Tigers first choice (DMAC). Whilst that isn't an ideal starting point, it's hardly an unusual one in professional sport either.

I rate Halfpenny personally. He has been wildly over payed at Toulon but that again isn't unusual!

It's easy to pass him off as 'just a goal kicker' but he's excellent under the high ball, one of the best 15s around positionally, very strong in contact, has a strong tactical kicking game, good decision maker, big game experience. His once promising running game has stalled under the Gatland game plan. He could be young enough to rediscover it though.

Personally I think a move back to wing could do his running game the world of good. From that perspective he could be an interesting signing as a replacement for JPP with more pace left and world class goal kicking. In reality he seems intent on staying at 15 though, his solidity defensively makes him a more valuable one than some give him credit for.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Hes worse on the wing than FB!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

doublecarpet wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:16 pm Have we actually got a recruitment strategy in place?
We seemed to have released some decent first team players without much of a definitive plan to replace them?
Five weeks before the season kicks-off and we've got a squad of 37, evidently short of backs.
Bizarre and very amateurish in my opinion.
As far as we're aware we're short in the backs. We have no idea who might be announced at the end of the Super 15 season.

The Leigh Halfpenny rumours are starting to smack of a desperate agent. Bath were linked and seem to have decided against it, the Welsh lot don't seem interested. It's like his agent is trying to urge whichever clubs he's speaking to, to hurry up and offer a contract with the demanded salary.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It is beginning to look as though DMAC is not coming after these reported comments. He doesn't actually say he is not but that his focus is on this weekend's semi finals. After that, who knows?

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/mckenzie-shut ... --spt.html
Hehehehehehehehe
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:38 am It is beginning to look as though DMAC is not coming after these reported comments. He doesn't actually say he is not but that his focus is on this weekend's semi finals. After that, who knows?

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/mckenzie-shut ... --spt.html
Interesting. He could have ruled it out. I also spotted this
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/201 ... rseas.html
It's probably all agent-led smoke and mirrors, but it would be great to think Plan A is McKenzie and Plan B is Halfpenny - yes I know I'm probably completely delusional...but we can dream :smt044
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

My concern is with the development of George Worth - a potentially excellent player who is one of ours. DMAC is clearly one of the best in the world but he would be with us for, what, two years? We'd be developing him to go back and play for the ABs. If we signed Halfpenny, Worth would still get some game time and development - potentially usurping HP. The ABs don't bring players in to develop then for teams in other countries - maybe we should do the same. 😁 Saying that - watching a player of DMAC's ability week in, week out is very tempting.