Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scuttle »

Assuming it is not an administration error, the website shows the senior squad having 3 fly halves, 4 centres, 5 wings and one full back. Accepting a number of these are flexible players, this at least shows the baseline from the club viewpoint and where additional capacity is needed. You would expect the website to be correct, or at least to have been corrected by now if wrong.
As Good As It Gets
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

TheRock wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 pm Fissler seems to be indicating on twitter that he will have more on DMAC in tomorrow's TRP so not long to wait to find out if the deals fallen through or still on.
Just looked through and nothing on this in the Fissler files...very disappointed only bought it for this reason...we won't hear either way till Chiefs are out of Super rugby

Personally I think it's dead in the water now and I'm pretty damn gutted
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Fissler seems to think it is still on but with the warning that he published this on 18 July in TRP and I quote " Leicester Tigers move for Damian McKenzie and a flanker show signs of gathering pace " and this is what he said "LEICESTER TIGERS are believed to in advanced talks with All Blacks full- back Damian McKenzie about a move to Welford Road. Blindside sources say that McKenzie, below, is considering his future after coming into the All Black’s squad for the Lions series only after Ben Smith’s first Test concussion. The Chiefs ace, 22, has been outstanding in Super Rugby this season but finds himself down the All Black’s pecking order. The Tigers have also had an interest in his brother Marty and have been clearing the decks with a series of departures in recent weeks. They have been speaking to Blue Bulls No 8 Arno Botha who was due to join Ulster this season. The Springbok who can also play flanker failed a medial at the end of last season and Ulster abandoned plans to sign him. The 25-year-old who has suffered a number of injury set backs was due to sign a two-year deal with the Belfast side. Another player interesting Matt O’Connor is USA tight head Chris Baumann who can also play hooker."

There is nothing new but if he has put something else in TRP I await it with great interest.
Hehehehehehehehe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

With it being so publicised before a deal is done, it is starting to look a lot like McKenzie and his agent are trying to scare Steve Hansen into giving him more game time, rather than actually being interested in a move to Leicester.

Still, fingers crossed.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 am With it being so publicised before a deal is done, it is starting to look a lot like McKenzie and his agent are trying to scare Steve Hansen into giving him more game time, rather than actually being interested in a move to Leicester.

Still, fingers crossed.
To be fair it all started with Fisslers report, if he hadn't said anything I doubt we would have seen it reported on at all
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well, George Ford's deal was so publicised before being officially confirmed so
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 am With it being so publicised before a deal is done, it is starting to look a lot like McKenzie and his agent are trying to scare Steve Hansen into giving him more game time, rather than actually being interested in a move to Leicester.

Still, fingers crossed.
To be fair it all started with Fisslers report, if he hadn't said anything I doubt we would have seen it reported on at all
And where did Fissler get it from? I doubt anyone at Leicester would leak it, given there would be plenty of other teams with more money who might be interested if they knew he was open to moving to Europe. Chiefs or NZRU wouldn't benefit from the leak either for the same reasons - they don't want more European money sniffing around one of their star prospects.

That leaves... McKenzie and his agent. They are the only ones who benefit from it getting into the press at this stage (unless a deal is already done, which sounds unlikely). And that benefit is a better deal (in terms of minutes on the pitch) from the All Blacks, or getting more money from another European club.

I sincerely hope to be proven completely wrong!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Strange one,he has just signed a 2 year deal and is on 200k a year,I think he's forcing SH hand.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 pm Strange one,he has just signed a 2 year deal and is on 200k a year,I think he's forcing SH hand.
For the Chiefs ??
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yes,dpnt be fooled AB get looked after moneywise now and the average wage is 175k per year
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:57 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Still, fingers crossed.
And where did Fissler get it from? I doubt anyone at Leicester would leak it, given there would be plenty of other teams with more money who might be interested if they knew he was open to moving to Europe. Chiefs or NZRU wouldn't benefit from the leak either for the same reasons - they don't want more European money sniffing around one of their star prospects.

That leaves... McKenzie and his agent. They are the only ones who benefit from it getting into the press at this stage (unless a deal is already done, which sounds unlikely). And that benefit is a better deal (in terms of minutes on the pitch) from the All Blacks, or getting more money from another European club.

I sincerely hope to be proven completely wrong!
It seems that McKenzie's agent leaked this info to Fissler (Although that isn't certain, from my understanding a lot of agents leak each others deals), but that's the point it was only leaked to one guy in the NH press, if Mckenzie was purely trying to kick up a storm within the NZ rugby world to get a better deal surely they would have leaked to NZ press?

I still think McKenzie won't be coming but I'm not convinced this was purely a money making exercise for him
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 pm Yes,dpnt be fooled AB get looked after moneywise now and the average wage is 175k per year
And you know this how. That is the £200 k deal with the chiefs. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

An ITK what says Read is on nearly 600k too. Whereas this is a private website just over 20 posters have unmasked on our website. They are vetted by one of the gang who is a security expert and when they are confirmed real,they join and we swap emails,numbers etc and get together when we can. He has first knowledge of the ABs and i trust him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Fair enough but if that's all he's on I would imagine Tigers would be offering him double, as a comparison Owen Williams went to Gloucester for £300k, but I think his short time All Blacks chances are slight
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

My mate said he is third choice AB FH at present but that could all change after a full season at 10 for the Chiefs and Hansen wants him to stay,dont forget the AB run the clubs in SR unlike here. Should come on our site and have a mooch,some very knowledgeable posters,some lunatics,banter and very lightly modded,live match threads are superb!