Tigers losing youth talent

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers losing youth talent

Post by Scott11 »

DRC007 I'll try and find the story again but we along with Sarries have supplied 24 players that have gone on to play in the AP,the highest in the AP and very good!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I was slightly wrong but here you go
https://alexshawsports.wordpress.com/20 ... lysis/amp/
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Interesting article although the last words of the analysis of Tigers doesn't make for great reading:
Matt O’Connor is not known for trusting the kids and given Leicester’s terrible U18 season this year, Tigers are a side who could drop down the rankings over the coming years.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:02 pm I was slightly wrong but here you go
https://alexshawsports.wordpress.com/20 ... lysis/amp/
This is a fantastic read and must have taken a huge effort.

Will need to digest it over a couple of beers.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

No probs mate!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Interesting the proportion of academy players has gone up in the league post 1990 although we drop down the table relatively speaking.

Interesting how only 5 Premiership sides produce more than Yorkshire Carnegie who haven't been at the top level for a while.
Glad to see Tigers are one of those 5 but shocking that Wasps & Bath don't.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

We are not alone in this and youngsters will always consider moving on, just like their senior colleagues, if someone comes along with an "offer they can't refuse". I know that Munster were not happy to lose Ben Betts when he came or should I says some of their supporters weren't, but they could see why a prop would want to come and learn from Marcos and Dan. By the way, I hope someone from the club learns that 5' 12 is in fact 6'.
Hehehehehehehehe
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm Yawayawa didn't play for England U20.

Would be amazed if Umaga is on Eddie Jones radar yet watching him play in the Eng U20's.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... ones-radar

and i meant Yawayawa played U18
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Richardfje wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm Yawayawa didn't play for England U20.

Would be amazed if Umaga is on Eddie Jones radar yet watching him play in the Eng U20's.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... ones-radar

and i meant Yawayawa played U18
Starring for England is a massive push already.

Could be wrong but where does it say he is already on Eddie jones radar literally zero quotes in that from Eddie jones saying he is on his radar.

He could become great but he realy needs to add some mass on and improve his tackling. Certainly isn't on the same level as a few others at his age currently.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I've said all along that Tigers must do more to retain their talented youngsters whether that is blooding them earlier in "A" league games of which there should be more or moving them quicker into subsidiary competition sides such as the Anglo/Welsh cup, If we don't as has been shown over recent years they will leave for pastures new.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tigers do blood their young talent in the A league fixtures and in the Anglo Welsh and some of that talent does not live upto expectation. Yes there should have been more A league matches but opponents are necessary and some other Premiership teams have not done their part, however that competition is increasing the number of matches to be played, I look forward to greater numbers attending on Monday nights this season and better informed but not too harsh comments on young players. The step up from A league to Premiership is massive and only the coaches are in a position to assess a players potential to make that step.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Would just like to throw this one in as food for thought. Would it not be a better situation for Tigers Academy in both development of players & game time that this partnership with Loughborough University gives the players just that without having throw them in at the deep end in an AP or LV game for them to sink or swim.
I for one am glad of this tie up not only for the above but as Loughborough University have one of if not the best sport science programs going it can only be for the good of all Tigers players at all levels.
I fully expect to see more of this sort of thing in the future with Tigers & Loughborough University with both reaping the benefits.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The lack of a meaningful A league has become more of a problem as sides have seemed to ditch their "second team"

This deprives a lot of young players in Premiership team squads game time at a high enough level.
I know some here think that watching the experienced players in the first team squad and training with them is enough but for a developing player in most sports game time/competition at a good enough level is vital to progression.

Loaning players out to lower division clubs is one of the solutions but that doesn't always provide the top level coaching and training. Very difficult if you can't find opponents in a decent A league,
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://alexshawsports.wordpress.com/20 ... her-story/

Seems Tyrese Johnson-Fisher is still with us, didn't know he was still U18 this coming season.

Hopefully he is starting to look at Rugby being his full time option.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:09 pm https://alexshawsports.wordpress.com/20 ... her-story/

Seems Tyrese Johnson-Fisher is still with us, didn't know he was still U18 this coming season.

Hopefully he is starting to look at Rugby being his full time option.
Interesting that he's playing 7's for Jamaica, does that not lock him out of playing for England or is there still the loophole that lets you switch national sides in regards to 7's & 15's