Will Tom Youngs be selected for England ever again

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Will Tom Youngs be selected for England ever again

Post by JP14 »

Tom Youngs says he will play on regarding his wife's terminal illness and that is great stuff from the club captain, whether he should remain as that is open for debate. Now if he plays consistently well like he did when he played against Wasps, could we be seeing a surprise England recall. Especially if EJ drops Taylor which he should because he is rubbish. But then again why did EJ drop Youngs in the first place?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Will Tom Youngs be selected for England ever again

Post by Iain »

I'd be surprised if that ship hasn't sailed now to be honest.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I can't see it. First of, playing for the Tigers is one thing, playing for England is added commitment he probably won't want at this time. But regardless of that I think he'd have to have a good run of games for us before he comes into the picture. TBH it's odd the question has been brought up at this stage.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

No.End thread! (And I am talking Tom the player not the man!)
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Even without the personal issues, the England Hooker berth debate has moved on.
The Lions saw the emergence of Jamie George as the best British hooker and by inference the best English hooker. He is now an established test player.

I guess this means a change of captain for England as it would be hard to justify leaving your best player on the bench to allow another to be captain. (I know England did it with De Glanville) The reality is that this will mean a younger player getting the bench hooker role with 2019 being the ultimate target.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

And Taylor isn't "rubbish" IMO ....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Probably won't be another cap for Tom. It seems Eddie Jones likes the bigger prop sized options at hooker. Hartley and Cowan-Dickie both played prop at age grade and Jamie George is a monster.

Hartley won't have much longer at international level but there is younger options in Taylor at Wasps, Walker at Bath and Singleton at Worcester all looking like they could step up (Taylor now the other two in a couple of years).
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:34 am Tom Youngs says he will play on regarding his wife's terminal illness and that is great stuff from the club captain, whether he should remain as that is open for debate. Now if he plays consistently well like he did when he played against Wasps, could we be seeing a surprise England recall. Especially if EJ drops Taylor which he should because he is rubbish. But then again why did EJ drop Youngs in the first place?
EJ dropped TY because in his opinion he was not good enough at International level? Jamie George is, IMO, the front runner but Tommy Taylor will, IMO, eventually be the first choice come 2019.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Don't forget LCD too,very abrasive,great carrier and good at the breakdown,his arrows are getting better too.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I'm sure that when he recovers his form Eddie Jones will reconsider the situation, but the lad is going through some tough times at the moment and he needs his family ,Friends and his club behind him. So let's leave this topic alone for now until his personal situation becomes clearer,
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Hear hear.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JWM wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:09 pmHear hear.
Maybe, But Noddy has boosted a thread that he wants closed back up to the top with the first post it has received in over a week :smt017
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game