'New' Laws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

'New' Laws

Post by Grimlish »

Much as the lift in the lineout was legitimised several years ago it seems there are more changes to legitimise previous sharp practices, from the No 8 picking the ball up from the row's feet, to a form of feeding and previously illegitimate hooking by props, all these will be allowed from this autumn.

I get most of the changes are intended to improve 'continuity' but I don't get some - the ruck changes for a start. Aren't these just a case of fixing something that ain't broke?

Changes outlined here
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 'New' Laws

Post by Scott11 »

The jackalling 7 is slowly being phased out,shame!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

The SH teams are slowly but surely getting their way in terms of neutering the scrum.
Hey, why not reduce the playing numbers down to 13 per side while while we're at it?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Not sure that rule change on the put in will make much odds. Currently they feed it in diagonally under the feet of the hooker. Now they will feed it in straight but still under the feet of the hooker (as they are allowed to align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum)

The rule on the No 8 will help to nullify scrum dominance a little - which isn't good for us. But only a little I think.

Law 20 is interesting. What constitutes a strike? Will be interested to see the interpretation.

The others seem fair enough to me. Although they all seem to limit the possibility of turnovers/counterattack which could be argued isn't a good thing.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

The good
Offside line at a ruck is formed as soon as 1 player is on their feet & over the ball; doesn't necessitate 1 player from each team to create the offside line.

The bad
Team putting in at the scrum 'must' strike for the ball - guaranteeing a 7 on 8 push albeit briefly

The blooming ridiculous
No toe poking a ball out of a ruck - presumably all those bodies lying on the floor in the way will now be penalty offenses :smt044
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm The jackalling 7 is slowly being phased out,shame!
May I ask why you feel this?

Not disagreeing with you, just interested in your reasoning.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 am

The bad
Team putting in at the scrum 'must' strike for the ball - guaranteeing a 7 on 8 push albeit briefly

Actually, I'm cool with this. A return to hookers hooking. It's a lost art and the loss of this art has resulted in teams essentially having three props and focusing on just pushing. This makes scrums more volatile and increases the trend for players needing to be big.

This rule change (or more accurately, a reminder to play rugby the way it was intended) is great news for someone like Harry Thacker. A hooker adept enough to strike with quick feet but who has until now been made redundant as a hooker since being a big pusher has been deemed more important. If scrum halves are actually going to be made to put in straight as well.... oh yes please. PROPER SCRUMS!!!!!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Iain wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 am
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 am

The bad

Actually, I'm cool with this. A return to hookers hooking. It's a lost art and the loss of this art has resulted in teams essentially having three props and focusing on just pushing. This makes scrums more volatile and increases the trend for players needing to be big.

This rule change (or more accurately, a reminder to play rugby the way it was intended) is great news for someone like Harry Thacker. A hooker adept enough to strike with quick feet but who has until now been made redundant as a hooker since being a big pusher has been deemed more important. If scrum halves are actually going to be made to put in straight as well.... oh yes please. PROPER SCRUMS!!!!!
I think it should be that both teams have to strike so it's 7 vs 7 and then 8 vs 8 once the ball is away from the tunnel.

The tap from the scrum half to the hooker gives the team with the put in the advantage of knowing when the ball is coming in, but as soon as the hooker lifts to strike your scrum will likely go backwards if the opposition have no intention of striking and go for the 8 man shove.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Fair, but I don't think that's a new thing is it? I see where you're coming from though.
TheRugbyRef
Tiger Cub

Post by TheRugbyRef »

You can get the official list of law trials with example videos here:
http://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=20
Law 6.A.4(a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

A return to hookers hooking.
I wish. As I read it the entire front row will be able to hook (but someone must from the team in possession). Of course it shouldnt be in their interest for more than one to do it. Expect some interesting 'hooking' by props...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If the prop on the put in's side can strike and the scrum half can stand slightly to one side I can't see how a team can fail to win the ball. Add to the fact the 8 can get it from the back rows feet a weak scrum is going to be no issue as long as you have the put in.
TheRugbyRef
Tiger Cub

Post by TheRugbyRef »

Grimlish wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:30 pm
A return to hookers hooking.
I wish. As I read it the entire front row will be able to hook (but someone must from the team in possession). Of course it shouldnt be in their interest for more than one to do it. Expect some interesting 'hooking' by props...
Anyone in the front row has always been able to hook the ball. This is not new.

20.8(b) Striking after the throw-in. Once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel, any front row
player may use either foot to try to win possession of the ball.
Law 6.A.4(a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Now i know why I dont ref the game! Has this really always been true?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Iain,see Evans v Ben Morgan on his debut for an example. One great trait of any good 7 is a tackle followed by an immediate bounce then steal,he should be able to do this from any side as long as he has clear released,to have to get up then go around to the gate is farcical and takes away a great skill!