Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by TTRITH »

Noddy555 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 pm Will all posters get any idea of a crossover between the playing budget and other commercial transactions out of their mind. It has been stated on many occasions at boardroom level that commercial decisions such as the ne hotel and car park are completely separate from the budget set aside for team operations and that includes the acquirement of new players, For once the Board can be believed and you know me I am not a great fan of the current management set up, but I'm getting sick and tired of those posters who do not research topics properly.
I'm sorry Noddy; but I just don't accept it. I get that the commercial investment is necessary but players used to sign for us based on the package we provided over the wages offered elsewhere. The budgets may have been set aside but that does not rule out the team operations being reduced to allow flexibility.

There's got to be a reason we are failing to attract quality players. Perhaps I'm just hoping that we can blame the commercial ventures over the fact we just don't have pulling power anymore.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 pm
There's got to be a reason we are failing to attract quality players. Perhaps I'm just hoping that we can blame the commercial ventures over the fact we just don't have pulling power anymore.
Looking at our incoming pool of new recruits, I'd say there are certainly 'quality players' amongst them!!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Latest media report from NZ on McKenzie rumour
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11893064
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

It maybe valid opinion, it may be correct, but it really seems to be no more than an opinion piece. Again, no quotes, no 'my sources suggest', no validation of the opinion from 3rd parties. An opinion piece with an agenda. Let's see what actually happens.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 pm Perhaps I'm just hoping that we can blame the commercial ventures over the fact we just don't have pulling power anymore.
Of course our pulling power has diminished!

Our recent record shows that we are no longer the top team in England, or even 2nd best for that matter. We are not nailed-on finalists, year on year, any more. All players want to win stuff and top players will get the choice of teams that are currently doing just that. At the moment, that's not Tigers.

We will struggle to attract top names until our standing improves. We just have to hope that, with shrewd acquisitions (e.g. TV) rather than flashy ones and good coaching, that happens soon!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 am It maybe valid opinion, it may be correct, but it really seems to be no more than an opinion piece. Again, no quotes, no 'my sources suggest', no validation of the opinion from 3rd parties. An opinion piece with an agenda. Let's see what actually happens.
Agreed. Only half the argument has been put forth and that's the pro NZ argument. The article may well be correct but it's not as straight forward as made out. The promised test career is severely under threat with Black and Mo'unga of a similar age and of serious talent, they'll both have starting ten shirts next season.

Marty would be the more likely signing but we'll keep our fingers crossed on Damian as well.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

For these rumours to come out and us not get our man would be a blow that's for sure...

I must admit I am of the opinion if it hasn't happened already it isn't going to :smt012
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Wont happen,Mckenzie named Chiefs vice caotain for next season!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

All part of the cunning plan. We would have won the prem if only 'so and so' had signed. Misinformation to keep the punters quiet.
I'm not cynical just experienced
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am Wont happen,Mckenzie named Chiefs vice caotain for next season!
Not an unusual move to try and persuade him to stay - I wouldn't close the door on this just yet as there's compelling arguments either way.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Agree Kornboy.

We've clearly been talking to him as there's no smoke without fire but it's not the done deal some would have us think.

The rumours coming out that it's 'less likely' that he'll sign now are not surprising. The last thing anyone associated with the Chiefs want is a distraction going into the playoffs. As a sign of respect, neither should we. I'm not surprised to see water poured on the rumour somewhat to let him focus on the rugby.

If, in 2/3 weeks, a week or so after the Super Rugby is done and dusted, there's no announcement, we'll know.

I still think it's a move that can make a lot of sense for him, but I'm biased. He's been overlooked at 15 despite being the best attacking full back for the last 2 seasons, and has seen a rookie - albeit an impressive one - jump ahead of him. At 10, where Hansen apparently sees his future, he would have to settle for being third choice for the AB 10 jersey, and try to ply his trade in a Chiefs team that will be losing their best players in the off season. No easy task. Add in the fact that he will earn c.3x what he's on now in the UK, a 2-3 year stint makes sense.

But maybe that's wishful thinking on my part. All I know is that if the signing comes off it has the potential to be one of our best imports. Ever.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

.......add to that the fact he would be joining a very potent back line at WR that could further showcase his talents (if it were needed) and make him even more marketable back in NZ in 2/3 years time........
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 pm
Noddy555 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 pm Will all posters get any idea of a crossover between the playing budget and other commercial transactions out of their mind. It has been stated on many occasions at boardroom level that commercial decisions such as the ne hotel and car park are completely separate from the budget set aside for team operations and that includes the acquirement of new players, For once the Board can be believed and you know me I am not a great fan of the current management set up, but I'm getting sick and tired of those posters who do not research topics properly.
I'm sorry Noddy; but I just don't accept it. I get that the commercial investment is necessary but players used to sign for us based on the package we provided over the wages offered elsewhere. The budgets may have been set aside but that does not rule out the team operations being reduced to allow flexibility.

Cockers rightly or wrongly didn't believe in big name signings simple as that.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Sorry for going off topic but struggling to start a new thread. 6 new laws being introduced,2 of them in the ruck area and it looks like the days of the jackalling 7 are sadly coming to and end! Big,mobile 6 looking the order of the day.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Could I point out that the decisions to sign George Ford and Toomua were taken whilst Cocker was Director of Rugby both I would describe as big name signings. It should be remembered that certain clubs appear to have unlimited funds available and are sustaining losses of several million pounds whilst paying large wages to star signings, that does not apply to Exeter who have developed in a sensible manner but you all know which clubs I am referring to.
I am certain that in Genge, Cole, Youngs, Ford, Toomua, Tuilagi and Vieanu we approach the season with enough stars to arouse envy in most other teams supporters and undoubtedly as the season progresses other players will move into that "star" bracket.