Telusa Veainu!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Telusa Veainu!!

Post by jgriffin »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 pm TV will be the regular 15 subject to fitness, I can't imagine any reason why not.

Everyone's favourite player (well ok not everyone but you know what I mean!).

If MOC doesn't pick him in the first 15 I'll eat my hat!! (ok I'll be very cross :smt003 ).
Questionmark appears to be that MOC thinks he's a winger and will/has be buying/bought another 15. IMHO Veainu is a cracking FB in concert with Thommo and A.N.Other and is less effective on the wing as he has less than half of the opportunities to wreck the opposition.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Much as I like Veainu at full back with the ball in hand (his ability to use space in front of him off either foot is wonderful), the downside to him there is that he's not quite so flash at the defensive element and under the high ball - think back to the opening moments of the Saints game at Franklin's Gardens. He's not got much of a clearing boot either.

Naturally, he is a winger currently doing very well at full back. If we can get him focused as a winger who scores tries and darts through gaps with an all-rounder full back with a boot (Damian McKenzie I'm looking at you... possibly) then Veainu being on the wing and being given licence to come off his wing strikes me as a useful and well-rounded skillset in the back three.

You've then of course still got Veainu as an option when we shuffle the pack or on a faster track. It's a squad game and having a more steady full back option would do no harm.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with Iain, Telusa is a superb attacking player whether at fullback or wing but he is not the best kicker of the ball even though much improved and sometimes it is better for the fifteen to welly the pill up field not try to jink past six advancing players, even if it is exciting on the occasion it works. I would like to see us sign a 15 although I would settle for a really quick winger.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

teams that pick players based on what they cannot do won't win anything, pick players based on the damage they can do to the opposition.

English sport needs to get over that mentality
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Congratulations jimmy post of the day!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:05 pm teams that pick players based on what they cannot do won't win anything, pick players based on the damage they can do to the opposition.

English sport needs to get over that mentality
Think that might depend on what they cannot do...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

All 3 of your back 3 should be good kickers (unlike Tait who regularly floors an elderly gent or lady with a screwed practice kick into the Crumbie - I'm the bloke shouting 'heads'). Any one of the 3 could be in the FB position, and you'll normally have someone else 10 or 8 back there under some circumstances.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Disagree Ashton,Maitland,Wade,Basset,Short and Woodburn hardly kick and there's RCC and AP winners among those. What about Brown,Visser,Yarde? Only one kicker there. Watson,Rockadagoolies,Banahan? Banahan is a very underrated kicker but SR never kicks and Watson runs it as much as possible. Plenty more examples.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Scott11 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 am Disagree Ashton,Maitland,Wade,Basset,Short and Woodburn hardly kick and there's RCC and AP winners among those. What about Brown,Visser,Yarde? Only one kicker there. Watson,Rockadagoolies,Banahan? Banahan is a very underrated kicker but SR never kicks and Watson runs it as much as possible. Plenty more examples.

In all those situations the fullback is a good kicker, veainu for all his amazing running skills can't kick, with the right players inside him he can do damage on the wing just like most the wingers you mentioned
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I was just disagreeing to the point you need 3 good kickers. It's a tough one for Veianu in the sense he isn't the best kicker but definitely better at FB than wing where he gets more space and ball and is more dangerous. Although he could play the Ashton role this season and go looking for work off Manu and Matt's shoulder.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

I don't understand where this opinion that TV can't kick for love nor money has come from.

Yes his kicking game from hand isn't rivalling Ford, Farrell, 1/2p, Brown, Bin Smeth etc, but it's perfectly serviceable for a fullback.

I seem to remember a clearance kick he made at Allianz park last year that went about 70-80 metres!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I see Lee Halfpenny has been turned down by all 4 Welsh regions,please,please don't do anything stupid Leicester board!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Scott11 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm I see Lee Halfpenny has been turned down by all 4 Welsh regions,please,please don't do anything stupid Leicester board!
He should go and milk his reputation in Japan.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott11 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm I see Lee Halfpenny has been turned down by all 4 Welsh regions,please,please don't do anything stupid Leicester board!
Too much ££££????
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Not good enough as a player Griff for me,superb place kicker,brave defender but reckless and his technique stinks and doesn't offer very much going forward. Bath are reportedly in for him,fingers crossed!