Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by johnthegriff »

That's the thing with young players, they keep growing!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 pm
Scott11 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:11 am I like what i see of Brink,don't let anyone be fooled about his lack of starts Kriel,Whitely,Ackermann is one of the best units in World club rugby,great addition,we have got really good back row options now and I'm looking forward to this season!
Wiki has Brink at 6 foot 3 and 15 stone 6. Per Wiki that makes him a little taller but more lightweight than Will Evans who is 16 stone per Wiki. We have skilled and mobile options on the flank do we need another? Would the cap be better spent elsewhere?

Having seen the Lions play he's a good player but I'm just not sure he's one we need.
Yeh don't trust wiki for his stats, it's obvious just by looking at him that he's bigger than Evans currently.

Lions and Rugby.com.AU both have him at 6ft 3 and 118KG (18.5 stone)
http://www.rugby.com.au/players/21702
http://lionsrugby.co.za/index.php/playe ... nk/?id=329
Now that's more like it.

I'd still be happier if he was a utility back with that size but we have needed some additional muscle in the backrow and are very much acquiring it now so can't really complain.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Interesting comments from MO'C in today's Mercury:

"An injection of pace among the backs is something that fans have wanted to see for some time and the addition of Nick Malouf and Jonah Holmes out wide will assist in that direction. It is an issue that we have got. Thankfully it's not a massive drama for us. When you have the speed of thought of Ben Youngs and George Ford and Matt Toomua we can probably compensate for that lack of foot speed. But it is something that is really important – you can't stop speed."

This might partly explain why he was happy to lose JPP who'd lost a yard of pace but I wonder where Adam Thompstone or Matt Tait fit in his thinking? Clearly Tait's no longer the quickest but, even at the grand old age of 30, Thommo would be one of the first on my teamsheet!

Full article: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leice ... story.html
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 am Interesting comments from MO'C in today's Mercury:

"An injection of pace among the backs is something that fans have wanted to see for some time and the addition of Nick Malouf and Jonah Holmes out wide will assist in that direction. It is an issue that we have got. Thankfully it's not a massive drama for us. When you have the speed of thought of Ben Youngs and George Ford and Matt Toomua we can probably compensate for that lack of foot speed. But it is something that is really important – you can't stop speed."

This might partly explain why he was happy to lose JPP who'd lost a yard of pace but I wonder where Adam Thompstone or Matt Tait fit in his thinking? Clearly Tait's no longer the quickest but, even at the grand old age of 30, Thommo would be one of the first on my teamsheet!

Full article: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leice ... story.html
Thompstone was at one point the fastest guy in the team (Veainu might have stolen that title now) so if you looking for pace he's a shoe in, Wouldn't be surprised to see Malouf potentially take JPP's place on the other wing from the way he is being talked about although i'm sure Holmes is going to push him hard for that other wing spot
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Chris Egerton tweeted this morning

"As reported this morning, rumoured Tigers target Cyle Brink opts to stay at Super Rugby side Lions, extending his contract.

I understand chance of replacing Jack Kriel - likely target of English clubs - and chance of more first team rugby, persuaded him to stay."
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Well that is a shame - but I'm sure plenty of us will look at that and think we are already well resourced in the back row and that if there's extra money available that ought to be spent on strengthening the backs.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Iain wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 pm Well that is a shame - but I'm sure plenty of us will look at that and think we are already well resourced in the back row and that if there's extra money available that ought to be spent on strengthening the backs.
I, for one, hope reason will now prevail.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I still fail to believe that all of Pietersen and Betham's wages have been swallowed up by Owen and Malouf. Just doesn't ring true that two international wingers salaries equate to that of a Welsh centre and Aussie 7's player, neither of whom have been full internationals.
Add in the salary space created by Macafferey, plus the fact Brink has apparently decided not to come, and there must be enough cap space left for 2-3 players.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 pm I still fail to believe that all of Pietersen and Betham's wages have been swallowed up by Owen and Malouf. Just doesn't ring true that two international wingers salaries equate to that of a Welsh centre and Aussie 7's player, neither of whom have been full internationals.
Add in the salary space created by Macafferey, plus the fact Brink has apparently decided not to come, and there must be enough cap space left for 2-3 players.
As I have said before do not assume that those players who have left that were still under contract went for free.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:56 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 pm I still fail to believe that all of Pietersen and Betham's wages have been swallowed up by Owen and Malouf. Just doesn't ring true that two international wingers salaries equate to that of a Welsh centre and Aussie 7's player, neither of whom have been full internationals.
As I have said before do not assume that those players who have left that were still under contract went for free.
Perhaps not but you would have to think that unless it freed up any cap space, there would be no benefit to moving them on / allowing them to move on.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

L Smith wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:56 pm
Perhaps not but you would have to think that unless it freed up any cap space, there would be no benefit to moving them on / allowing them to move on.
Indeed, I have no doubt that it freed up some cap space but we can only ever speculate just how much it is. This means that we do not know how much is left for any new signings.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Whether we like it or not we have to accept the club is a business and is now being run as such. The money we will be saving on wages is likely to be set against the building of the hotel and car park as required.

There are also a few contracts up next summer, who will be able to command more money due to the nature of the market and maybe we want to get in early with the renewals.

Or of course; there was money also involved in the swap deal of George Ford and Freddie Burns and we needed to free up the cap space to fit.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There WILL be new signings that will significantly improve the squad. I've been told to watch this space in the coming days...
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:27 am Whether we like it or not we have to accept the club is a business and is now being run as such. The money we will be saving on wages is likely to be set against the building of the hotel and car park as required.
Not so. It has been clarified several times that the playing budget is completely separate to the budgets allocated to these projects.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

So now that all competitions are over do we believe that all the new signings for the coming season have been announced or do we think there are more on the way?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too