Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scott11 »

Still nowhere near as many times as Mike Williams lol. I can't wait to see Kriel in the AP,top player! In fact Kriel,Ackermann and Whitely is one of the best back rows in club rugby. Lions are my favourite SR team but sadly I fear for them now Ackermann senior is going,Gloc have done well there!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I can't see Kriel going yet, he hasn't hit the required cap amount to still be able to play for SA and he is just starting to get into the team.

Could see him going end of his current contract next year if he isn't a regular starter for SA though.

I don't think we do use Williams more at lock either.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

No we don't,but we should. Fitzgerald is better at 6 imo and had a far better season season before last where you could say he was up there with Sarries Rhodes as one of the AP best blindsides. The ridiculous quota is killing Kriel chances and it's too early to tell if Coetzee has turned things around yet. I know Serfontein has hit the cap mark dead on before his move to Fance but Faf De Klerk has gone to Sale with very few caps and starting regularly so why not?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

See i think Fitzgerald is a way better lock than he is at 6.
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:12 am See i think Fitzgerald is a way better lock than he is at 6.
+1 RB
I see Fitz as a lock who can play at 6, not a genuine 6. Though I feel that as good as he, I do prefer Barrow and Slater as preferred starters. Though MOC has consistently picked Kitchener as a starting lock during this time in charge last year. I don't think that Kitch is physical enough compared to the others, his line out is the best though.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

PaleoTiger wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:47 pm I don't think that Kitch is physical enough compared to the others, his line out is the best though.
I completely agree with this. It's a massive concern and something that I do think should have been addressed this summer. I think that's why they look at having Fitz in at 6 when Kitch is at 5 to balance it out.

My starting option:

4. Slater
5. Barrow
6. Williams/Ryan
7. O'Connor/Evans
8. Kalamafoni/Hamilton

Out of those I can't spot one that readily operates as a lineout caller. Unless Ben Kay has been locking Dom Barrow in the IT room over the summer I think we'll have a poor line out this year. We are a far cry from the likes of Kay, Skivington and Parling.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Part of the reason why Kitchener was used so much (apart from his lineout skills) was that Slater was injured. It's easy to forget as he has had a lot of injuries, but Slater is an exceptional player, and the first name on my teamsheet when fit.

The obvious lineout caller is Barrow I think. He called the lineout at England age group level, and so with some training from Kitch, Blaze, etc. should be able to grow into that role. Slater, Barrow, Williams, and BOC are all potential targets, so we should be able to have a decent lineout. And if Croft is fit and sticks around all the better.
Never believe generalisations
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kitch played some of his best rugby under MOC's first stint, so i'm hoping he will have a good season.
He certainly carried more when MOC arrived.

Kitch on his day was one of the best locks around IMO, certainly one of the most complete locks we have. Just think he has struggled with Mauger game plan. (Same with a few forwards)
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

The Rugby Paper yesterday reporting we are close with the Lions backrower and that Lachy has signed a 3 year deal with the ACT Brumbies- the latter part I was chuffed about I wish him all the best :smt023
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I like what i see of Brink,don't let anyone be fooled about his lack of starts Kriel,Whitely,Ackermann is one of the best units in World club rugby,great addition,we have got really good back row options now and I'm looking forward to this season!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Have I missed an announcement on Brink?
Fissler said we've offered £160k but as far as I can see, there is no agreed deal yet.
Fissler is ok but less than 50% accurate
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Fissler is a lot more than 50% accurate...if he says a club are speaking to someone then they pretty much are...whether that leads to a deal or not is nothing to do with Fissler :smt023

When he says it is going to happen I am yet to see it not...Not that he has said that in this instance though...wages seem very reasonable it will just be the Lions release fee that might be an issue...can't imagine them being happy losing him and Kriel though if that is on the cards
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:11 am I like what i see of Brink,don't let anyone be fooled about his lack of starts Kriel,Whitely,Ackermann is one of the best units in World club rugby,great addition,we have got really good back row options now and I'm looking forward to this season!
Wiki has Brink at 6 foot 3 and 15 stone 6. Per Wiki that makes him a little taller but more lightweight than Will Evans who is 16 stone per Wiki. We have skilled and mobile options on the flank do we need another? Would the cap be better spent elsewhere?

Having seen the Lions play he's a good player but I'm just not sure he's one we need.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 pm
Scott11 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:11 am I like what i see of Brink,don't let anyone be fooled about his lack of starts Kriel,Whitely,Ackermann is one of the best units in World club rugby,great addition,we have got really good back row options now and I'm looking forward to this season!
Wiki has Brink at 6 foot 3 and 15 stone 6. Per Wiki that makes him a little taller but more lightweight than Will Evans who is 16 stone per Wiki. We have skilled and mobile options on the flank do we need another? Would the cap be better spent elsewhere?

Having seen the Lions play he's a good player but I'm just not sure he's one we need.
I keep waiting for the extra top quality centre, not another - albeit very promising - backrower.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeh don't trust wiki for his stats, it's obvious just by looking at him that he's bigger than Evans currently.

Lions and Rugby.com.AU both have him at 6ft 3 and 118KG (18.5 stone)
http://www.rugby.com.au/players/21702
http://lionsrugby.co.za/index.php/playe ... nk/?id=329