Starting 15 Next Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Re: Starting 15 Next Season

Post by maroontrunks »

Interested to see who will be club captain. I understand Cockers' reasons for giving the captaincy to OTY last season, though I feel like it was to prove a point to Eddie Jones about his own personal favourite player. I feel like Tom Youngs just needs to be getting on with playing next season as he's had to shoulder a lot more than most of us can imagine lately.
There seems to be a strong case for Barrow, though he has only had a few opportunities to captain the team so far. Barrow seems the most nailed-on of our second row players, but we have good strength in that position. I feel for Slater, who came pretty close to England contention a couple of seasons ago and was great captain material. He may yet hit the heights again if he can have an injury free season, he is now something of a veteran and perhaps if Barrow is club captain and Slater hits peak fitness, we can have some rotation both in the row and with the captaincy.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I can see Ben Youngs getting the captaincy. O'Connor is a massive fan of his.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

maroontrunks wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 pm Interested to see who will be club captain. I understand Cockers' reasons for giving the captaincy to OTY last season, though I feel like it was to prove a point to Eddie Jones about his own personal favourite player. I feel like Tom Youngs just needs to be getting on with playing next season as he's had to shoulder a lot more than most of us can imagine lately.
There seems to be a strong case for Barrow, though he has only had a few opportunities to captain the team so far. Barrow seems the most nailed-on of our second row players, but we have good strength in that position. I feel for Slater, who came pretty close to England contention a couple of seasons ago and was great captain material. He may yet hit the heights again if he can have an injury free season, he is now something of a veteran and perhaps if Barrow is club captain and Slater hits peak fitness, we can have some rotation both in the row and with the captaincy.
Slater is 28........veteran??
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Iain wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 pm I can see Ben Youngs getting the captaincy. O'Connor is a massive fan of his.
BY was one of the few MOC fans last time round as well as being a favourite. I said on hearing of MOCs appointment that BY would be captain. Like to see Barrow as captaincy material.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

tigercaspian wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 pm
Slater is 28........veteran??
Nearly 29, so I think he can be safely considered one of the senior heads in the squad now. I was going to say how it's strange that a 'rising star' of a couple of seasons ago can be considered a veteran now, but bear in mind that he's older than Launchbury, Lawes and Kruis, who all have a decent number of caps to their names.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:04 am
Iain wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 pm I can see Ben Youngs getting the captaincy. O'Connor is a massive fan of his.
BY was one of the few MOC fans last time round as well as being a favourite. I said on hearing of MOCs appointment that BY would be captain. Like to see Barrow as captaincy material.
I'm struggling to make an assessment of how well BY got on as captain, I remember he had quite a long stint whilst Slater was injured. I also like the idea of Barrow as captain, personally feel that second row is a good position to captain a side from.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Has the captain for the new season been announced yet?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
jamie1880

Post by jamie1880 »

Agreed with Barrow as captain, especially as he'll be there for most of the season with no international commitments
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Wouldn't mind Barrow, but would be very surprised if it wasn't Lenny.

To be honest I love Youngs (B) as a player, and he's fine captaining the last 20 minutes, or against a weaker opponent. But I haven't seen the qualities in him to drag a team from 15 points down at half time. Too often it seems like his head has gone down when we are knee deep in the brown stuff, and instead of picking up the squad he just gets frustrated.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Seal wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pm Wouldn't mind Barrow, but would be very surprised if it wasn't Lenny.

To be honest I love Youngs (B) as a player, and he's fine captaining the last 20 minutes, or against a weaker opponent. But I haven't seen the qualities in him to drag a team from 15 points down at half time. Too often it seems like his head has gone down when we are knee deep in the brown stuff, and instead of picking up the squad he just gets frustrated.
Perhaps if he was captain that would change as he would have the responsibility to drag the team when needed. I'd have no problems if he was given the captaincy though.