Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by BFG »

Silly to let McCaffery go given just how many new players are into the unknown and how average some that are retained are.
He provides a guaranteed level.
Lost count of the amount of defensive turnovers within five metres of the try line he made, someone else will need to seriously step up!
I had a feeling that he might be one of those to suffer after the playing around on the back row last season and the silly idea that others such as front rows could do a good enough job there as cover if required!
It's often these type of compromises made to fit in names for names sake that can be costly if the injuries occur IMO!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

While I can understand the sentiment, the was no-way MOC was going to continue with the current squad of players for 17/18. I will assume that MOC has made his selections based how he wants the team to play in 17/18? We can only wait with baited-breath to see the fruits of his labour? If he screws up then he will go - eventually?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am sorry to see McCaffrey go, I would say surprised but the suggestion was leaked sometime ago. With him and recent signings there did seem to be a surfeit of back row players. O'Connor and Evans contest the 7 slot, Williams, Croft, Hamilton, Ryan, Mapapalangi, Kalamafoni and McCaffrey to cover 6 and 8. I can understand the thinking that Lachlan's share of the wage cap could be better spent elsewhere in the squad or for a different type of player.
The team have not achieved what they would want in recent years, for some fans that was a disappointment others it was no more than they expected, both schools of thought would agree changes were needed and this latest news is just one of the changes, by next May or possibly before we will know if the alterations are for the better and will no doubt make our opinions known. Meantime we will carry on supporting our club, we after all will still be here after all current players and coaches have gone. Good luck for the future to all players leaving Welford Road and even better luck to all just coming in.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

I recall reading that this was likely to McCaffrey's last contract here as he was returning to Australia. I have no link or evidence, just recall reading it and discussing it with friends at the ground. If this is the case, maybe it makes sense to bring someone in that will be (hopefully) here for a few years and with whom MOC can help to build a Team around? Just a thought, as I , like many on here, are sorry to see him go. A very classy player.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Let's see if the talk that Cyle Brink was being lined up to replace Macafferey 'if' he left. Seems like replacement for replacement sake if that is the case, albeit I don't profess to know that much about Brink, but Macafferey has generally been pretty consistent in my opinion, and offers a good all round skillset, defensively astute, lively at the breakdown, and carries the ball with his head up.
Still a lot of back row shuffling, when there are glaring gaps elsewhere, flyhalf, prop and back 3. Sadly, Macafferey offered more to the squad over the last two seasons than Croft, but Croft remains, true tiger yes, unplayable in his prime, but injuries have left that form far behind. I'd have looked at Croft going before Locky. If Brink does come onboard as was suggested at the weekend, I'd still contemplate cutting Croft to free up funds for more urgent areas.

6. Williams, Ryan, Croft or Brink
7. O'Connor, Evans
8. Kalamafoni, Hamilton, Mapapalangi

More than enough depth.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

With all these players leaving surely there is some decent signings to be announced...We wouldn't let Betham, JPP and McCafferey go unless we were spending the money on something MOC would see as better for the squad logically...

Interesting few weeks ahead for us transfer news lovers...as surely we would want players to come before pre season unless they were playing in Super Rugby :smt038
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

A huge loss
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:44 pmA huge loss
Yep, the new signings have big boots to fill. A bit like De Chaves in an earlier season, kept us going when all around were injured or wobbling. Not happy, and just hope a classy signing in the backs is forthcoming with the ££
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a super rugby contract.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Okay Coaching and backroom updates
Senior staff
Head of Rugby operations: Ged Glynn
Head Coach: Matt O'Connor
Forwards Coach: Richard Blaze
Skills Coach: Geordan Murphy
Scrum Coach: Boris Stankovich (Who goes from a part time contract to a full time contract and will work with both senior and Academy packs)
First Team Manager: Teresa Carrington (Moved up from being our academy administrator)
Head of Strength and Conditioning Services: Alex Martin (Who returns to Tigers after a spell at Loughborough Students)
Analyst: Simon Barbour (Who returns after a stint with the England team)

Academy staff
Head of Development Coaching: Brett Deacon (This role involves work with the club’s Premiership ‘A’ League team, development squad and with the young players loaned out to gain experience elsewhere, including the relationship with Loughborough University.)
Academy Head Coach: Anthony Allen (Who will take a lead on all age-group coaching including the National Academies Under-18 League)
Academy Manager: Dave Wilks
Junior Academy Manager: Jamie Taylor,
Academy and Development Manager: Dave Bassett (who joins from Loughborough Students)
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

What has happened to Adam who was part of the fitness and conditioning team last season, brought in from the forces after assisting in the pre-season exercise?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

What concerns me is that we seem to be contracting what I would call peripheral players who might get the odd game when our stars are injured or on international duty, In the back line the board seem to be investing heavily in the fitness of Tuilagi and Toomua, which is a dangerous path to follow. We need more back line stars not peripheral players. As for Lachlan McCaffrey I wish him well for the future and thank him for his contribution, Again another example of a good player ill served by the coaching staff.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Definitely agree with FrontRowUnionMember on this.
Good luck, Lachlan: you've done us proud.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

When you have two international centres who are probably your highest paid players it must be difficult and financially fool hardy to have another star to sit on the bench. There is no reason to suppose Toomua will not be fit, I understand the doubts regarding Manu but hopefully his troubles are behind him. I do agree with Noddy we need a more than competent centre as back up and I really hope one of the signings proves to be an adequate replacement for 12 or 13. Obviously I would not be unhappy if we signed a current All Black centre but that is unlikely, meanwhile an exciting project like Milouf or a versatile seasoned campaigner like Owen who Tait like has had his career disrupted by injury might prove to be exactly what we need.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

There also has to be a path for academy players to develop or they will leave.