Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Post by westwinds31 »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm Halfpenny is not worth the money at all imo...

Lacking in attack as a fullback...if we exclude his world class kicking and look at him as a fullback then he is average imo

Anyway we aren't remotely interested in him as far as I am aware so that is good :smt023
Halfpenny "average" ?! I'd say he's just the kind of player we're looking for at full back. Excellent under the high ball, solid in defence and one the best kicking from the tee and out of hand (I know you mentioned his kicking). We potentially have more than enough potency in attack with Toomua, Manu & Veainu, but wth Ford pulling the strings, 1/2p could also be used as an attacking threat. But we're not interested in him.......
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:36 pm The same can be said for Ford over Burns. There's people on here who believe Burns is better than Ford yet Jones keeps on picking and playing Ford at 10 but not once picked Burns.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
True, but while the debate between Ford and Burns was looking at their relative strengths and weaknesses (with varying views held by many) it also was looking at it from the point of view that George would be away with England while Freddie wasn't. So from an overall Tigers point of view, Freddie, although not quite as good overall as George (in many people's view) would have been better for the club.

Your views on Owen Farrell (extensively documented by yourself) seem to be only held by yourself. I am definitely no fan of his, but have to admit that he is not a bad player. How good he is, I leave to those whose knowledge of, and position in, the game make them farmore competent and better judges than me and most (all?) on here.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:44 pm
JackFlashJonny wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm Halfpenny is not worth the money at all imo...

Lacking in attack as a fullback...if we exclude his world class kicking and look at him as a fullback then he is average imo

Anyway we aren't remotely interested in him as far as I am aware so that is good :smt023
Yet you'd be happy if we were to sign Farrell? If you take your sentence and replace the words full back with fly half, you'd be describing Farrell!
If Farrell couldnt kick it wouldn't change the fact he is a born winner, leader and one of the focal points of any team he plays in...each to his own but you are the only person I have ever known that thinks this about him...I would have him in a heartbeat

That said I am excited to see what Ford can bring and hopefully he will add a lot...not only that but with Te'o going so well for the Lions at 12 it will be very interesting to see what happens come the Autumn internationals...
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

As I understand it, JPP is the last of the departures and along with Betham specifically frees up cash for a particular target to strengthen the backs. Dont think there will be any additional forwards.

Maybe just me but I do find ellis9's opinion of Farrell a bit, well, weird but takes all sorts I suppose.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

There's a few on here that never liked Farrell. The "he's only picked for England because of his Dad" brigade, were out in force but have been strangely mute of late. It's comical really. He's clearly THE most important player for country and the Lions but I think there's still an undercurrent of hatred towards him, as he was a bit petulant a few years ago.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 pm There's a few on here that never liked Farrell. The "he's only picked for England because of his Dad" brigade, were out in force but have been strangely mute of late. It's comical really. He's clearly THE most important player for country and the Lions but I think there's still an undercurrent of hatred towards him, as he was a bit petulant a few years ago.

To be fair, a few years ago he was getting picked ahead of better players - presumably because of the potential to become the world class player that he now is. At the time, the "dad" argument had some validity to me because his performances were not at the level they are now, whereas for example GF had standout talent even as a sixteen year old.

People - and opinions - change over time, and I will cheer Farrell on tomorrow and hope he can lead the Lions to victory.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Astounded is the word. Do you really think a professional rugby player would get a cap for his country because his father was on the coaching staff ?
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 pm Astounded is the word. Do you really think a professional rugby player would get a cap for his country because his father was on the coaching staff ?
Do I think a coach would opt for a player he knows intimately over a player he has watched a handful of times but never coached? Yes.

We have seen it again with the Lions selection - plenty of "Welsh bias" comments have been put forward...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 pm Astounded is the word. Do you really think a professional rugby player would get a cap for his country because his father was on the coaching staff ?
Oh yes, it's not just simply a rugby thing but the way of much of the world in general!
Entire nations have been done this way let alone a minority sport!
Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Post by Alandrin75 »

Talking of the Dad Son Dynamic.

Rumour has it that Farrell senior believes GF lacks bottle.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Its called nepotism-----a way of the world.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Elliot Daly coming to Tigers?
I'd rather see him than Halfpenny in a Tigers' shirt.
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Alandrin75 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm Talking of the Dad Son Dynamic.

Rumour has it that Farrell senior believes GF lacks bottle.
Longstanding antagonism between Faz and Mike Ford, dating back before RU involvement I believe. Collateral, I suspect.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 am Elliot Daly coming to Tigers?
I'd rather see him than Halfpenny in a Tigers' shirt.

No way is that happening.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

According to Midi Olympique Toulon will announce Fekitoa in the next couple of days...

That is one potential target down by the sounds of things...