Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Post by jgriffin »

In Cardiff last two days (33-35 degrees!) and chatting to a couple of Blues fans, and they thought Gareth Owen was a very solid signing as a second choice/utility.They were also gobsmacked by George Ford's two test performances (one lad said he has never watched two England games before but the first was so good he had to watch the second), they said they wondered whether he was being let off the Fazlet leash!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hhmm it seems people are starting to realise what I've said all along about Farrell.
BillCarr85

Post by BillCarr85 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 am
Iain wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:25 am Point taken, but I think this would be even more ridiculous. We'll be bolstering the backs, I'm quite sure.
On paper it looks like a starting back line as it currently stands for the start of the season of:

Tait; Veaniu, Manu, Toomua, Thommo; G. Ford, B. Youngs.

And a second choice of :

Worth; Holmes, Smith, Owen, Brady; J. Ford, S. Harrison.

A first choice winger to allow Veaniu to play full back is a definite I think. Maybe a utility back depending on what's happening with Catchpole, C. Thacker and the Olowofela twins.
Would we say we want Tait as first choice 15?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

BillCarr85 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:22 pm
TTRITH wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 am
Iain wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:25 am Point taken, but I think this would be even more ridiculous. We'll be bolstering the backs, I'm quite sure.
On paper it looks like a starting back line as it currently stands for the start of the season of:

Tait; Veaniu, Manu, Toomua, Thommo; G. Ford, B. Youngs.

And a second choice of :

Worth; Holmes, Smith, Owen, Brady; J. Ford, S. Harrison.

A first choice winger to allow Veaniu to play full back is a definite I think. Maybe a utility back depending on what's happening with Catchpole, C. Thacker and the Olowofela twins.
Would we say we want Tait as first choice 15?
Nope
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

So JPP has gone to Toulon (whilst in contrat with us) and we need a solid goal kicker so could Halfpenny be coming this way?

Backine of Youngs, ford, veainu, tomua, tuilagi, thompstone, Halfpenny does have a ring to it.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Don't feel Halfpenny would bring anything near his money's worth to the squad.

Also lots of people still seem unsure if Brugnara is leaving; he has confirmed he is on his twitter account (not said where though).
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Seal wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:37 pm Don't feel Halfpenny would bring anything near his money's worth to the squad.
Quality player who is out of a contract if Toulon want rid. We need a 90% kicker as over the last few seasons we have lost out on points because of this. With his accuracy and the pressure off of Ford then I really think we could be a European contender so I disagree that he is not worth the money. All being said though, we do not know what that would be as he knows he will not get the same over here as he would in France.

His experience could also prove huge with the younger players and bring some stability like when we had a certain Mr Murphy. Him and Veainu playing together would remind me of the relationship Stimpson and Murphy had.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Halfpenny is not worth the money at all imo...

Lacking in attack as a fullback...if we exclude his world class kicking and look at him as a fullback then he is average imo

Anyway we aren't remotely interested in him as far as I am aware so that is good :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm Halfpenny is not worth the money at all imo...

Lacking in attack as a fullback...if we exclude his world class kicking and look at him as a fullback then he is average imo

Anyway we aren't remotely interested in him as far as I am aware so that is good :smt023
Yet you'd be happy if we were to sign Farrell? If you take your sentence and replace the words full back with fly half, you'd be describing Farrell!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

ellis 9 should be given the England and Lions coaches job as he certainly has more knowledge than Eddie Jones, Warren Gatland and their coaching teams, what do they know after all they all rate Owen Farrell as a world class fly half but ellis 9 constantly likes to advise us all how awful a player he is.
Wish he would change the record he is becoming boring.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The same can be said for Ford over Burns. There's people on here who believe Burns is better than Ford yet Jones keeps on picking and playing Ford at 10 but not once picked Burns.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Interesting to note the squad has been updated on the new website and Jonah Holmes is listed as a scrum half :smt017

Also Harry Thacker is listed as a Hooker, Matt Toomua a Fly-Half and Telusa Veainu a Winger
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 pm Interesting to note the squad has been updated on the new website and Jonah Holmes is listed as a scrum half :smt017

Also Harry Thacker is listed as a Hooker, Matt Toomua a Fly-Half and Telusa Veainu a Winger
Well Thacker wants to be a Hooker so that makes sense.

I suspect that is just a mistake re Holmes since he started as a 9.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:13 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 pm Interesting to note the squad has been updated on the new website and Jonah Holmes is listed as a scrum half :smt017

Well Thacker wants to be a Hooker so that makes sense.

I suspect that is just a mistake re Holmes since he started as a 9.
Holmes was indeed a very tall 9/wing til 2 or 3 years ago, when he concentrated (successfully) on the latter.

I have a sneaky suspicion, with a good pre-season, he could join Thommo as our other starting wing.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It also says Matt Toomua is 5'12"! :smt003 :smt003