The Return Of Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Return Of Ford

Post by baz1664 »

Welcome back, two world class performances this last two weeks, tactically brilliant, solid kicking and a workable defence, was hugely upset to see Burns leave and thought having Ford back was a back step but I have to say he is a different class to what we let go, exciting times!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: The Return Of Ford

Post by drc_007 »

Probably the best player on the pitch in both matches.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

That's what happens when Owen Farrell isn't playing outside him! :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ford has shown that he is a significant upgrade on Burns and I cannot wait to see him back in a Tigers shirt next season.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Ummmmmmmmm..very unfair on Freddie, because he is in the top 6 UK wise... But Ford certainly is right at the zenith of Fly Halves as we presently stand.

Plus his kicking seems to have come on leaps and bounds. And purring about the drop goal.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I certainly have been a doubter but his last two performances for England have been fabulous .
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Completely agree, two consistent and first class performances from Ford in Argentina. I'm not sure whether he has improved of late or whether it's just I'm focusing on his play more but he does look the business.

What I will miss from Freddie is the flair and character. Ford I expect will be a Steady Eddie, doing all the basics very well.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

baz1664 wrote:Welcome back, two world class performances this last two weeks, tactically brilliant, solid kicking and a workable defence, was hugely upset to see Burns leave and thought having Ford back was a back step but I have to say he is a different class to what we let go, exciting times!
I recorded the match but haven't watched it yet. The reports in the papers say that our pack wasn't going forward. One of the major criticisms of GF was that he needed a go forward pack to shine - one swallow and all that but if it is true, another fear confounded.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

TomWeston wrote:
baz1664 wrote:Welcome back, two world class performances this last two weeks, tactically brilliant, solid kicking and a workable defence, was hugely upset to see Burns leave and thought having Ford back was a back step but I have to say he is a different class to what we let go, exciting times!
I recorded the match but haven't watched it yet. The reports in the papers say that our pack wasn't going forward. One of the major criticisms of GF was that he needed a go forward pack to shine - one swallow and all that but if it is true, another fear confounded.
I was a nay sayer but those last 2 performances were outstanding, and in both games the pack were going backwards. I don't get it; he is supremely talented but seemingly his head needs to be completely in the right place in order for him to perform well. Let's hope we can keep him in a good place and that he matures to the point where he can perform more consistently, regardless of external factors.
If we can get some sustained performances from Lenny, GF, Toomua, Manu, Veianu, Thompstone in the back line, we could tear it up next year. Big if
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Clowbeck wrote:Completely agree, two consistent and first class performances from Ford in Argentina. I'm not sure whether he has improved of late or whether it's just I'm focusing on his play more but he does look the business.

What I will miss from Freddie is the flair and character. Ford I expect will be a Steady Eddie, doing all the basics very well.
Ford plays flat to the gain line. Snipes himself, creates holes for others. I'd day the difference between the two is that Ford is more consistent and pragmatic. Less likely to opt for the miracle move which was a Burns staple both positive and negative.

What I liked in the Argentina tour was that Ford adapted very well to the lack of structure in the game. He took both games and brought them under control, that drop goal caused me to double take it was straight out of the Wilko play book it was like Johnny had snuck on.

If he controls games like that for us next season. We'll score a lot of tries and we'll do very well.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

ellis9 wrote:That's what happens when Owen Farrell isn't playing outside him! :smt023
I said the same whilst watching. I do wonder how much Faz tries to control the game (vocally) and without this Ford has a clear head to control the game his way?

The vision for his pass to Brown for the Care try was a thing of beauty :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

HantsTiger wrote:
ellis9 wrote:That's what happens when Owen Farrell isn't playing outside him! :smt023
I said the same whilst watching. I do wonder how much Faz tries to control the game (vocally) and without this Ford has a clear head to control the game his way?

The vision for his pass to Brown for the Care try was a thing of beauty :smt023
Agree about the Fazlet comment, also think his head is in a better place than for a while. Very impressed.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

GF has played the best rugby over the past two tests. Even his tackling of the Argy biguns was solid and brave on a couple of occasions. IMO he showed all the attributes of being the 'general' on the park in a game where once again 'chaos' crept in. The speed in broken play of the Argies was a delight to watch as was the riposte of the England guys. Two cracking games of rugby with an England side of many young guns under pressure. The thing is now, who would you have in your starting 23 and 45 man squad with 61 players to chose from?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TigerCam wrote:GF has played the best rugby over the past two tests. Even his tackling of the Argy biguns was solid and brave on a couple of occasions. IMO he showed all the attributes of being the 'general' on the park in a game where once again 'chaos' crept in. The speed in broken play of the Argies was a delight to watch as was the riposte of the England guys. Two cracking games of rugby with an England side of many young guns under pressure. The thing is now, who would you have in your starting 23 and 45 man squad with 61 players to chose from?
1. M. Vunipola
2. J. George
3. D. Cole
4. J. Launchbury
5. M. Itoje
6. S. Underhill
7. J. Haskell
8. B. Vunipola
9. B. Youngs
10.G. Ford
11.D.Solomana
12.E.Daly
13.J.Joseph
14.J.Nowell
15.A.Watson

Replacements:
K. Sinckler
E. Genge
L. Cowan-Dickie
G. Kruis
J. Clifford
D. Robson
D. Cipriani
M. Brown
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I have to agree, I was so impressed with the improvement in his kicking and to a lesser extent his defence.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too