New Forum!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigersAdminPudz

New Forum!

Post by TigersAdminPudz »

Hi Pop Pickers!

The new website is coming along famously, and we are ready for a go live in the last week in June.

In the meantime, we wanted to give you an update on the forum. After your feedback, we are keeping the forum and will be providing a newer version from the same provider.

This is so that you can keep all the functionality you are used to with some added benefits such as the new site being responsive (viewable on all screen sizes).

We have set up a demo site of the new forum, and we would appreciate it if you could take a look and give us any feedback on it and post it on this thread.

You should be able to login with your existing details, but please note that this is a test site, so nothing you add in or do will appear on the live forum.

https://lei-phpbb-staging.clockhosting.com

The plan is then to take a backup of the existing forum on Thursday morning of next week (June 15), and transfer all this data over to our new servers.

This will mean that the forum will be down all day on Thursday.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tigers
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Forum!

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Hi it looks like a decent upgrade bar the colour as it is a little white and bright...The colour scheme of this one works great for me :smt023

The only other thing is the poster author being on the right instead of the left looks horrible to me...

But those two are easily fixable :smt023
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

MUCH better!!

I'll log on with my phone and tablet later - interested to see how well it optimises for mobile use.
TigersAdminPudz

Crikey...if you don't like white...the new website might not got great reviews either.

Thank you for taking a look, and we'll see what we can do once we've got everyone's feedback.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

No new facilities that I can see (e.g. a Like feature) :smt009

The layout is more compact (the current style is quite wasteful on space) :smt023

Agree that the green shading on the current forum stands out more than the grey on the new, plus it is a Tigers colour :smt001

As "we" read from left to right (unlike Japanese and Arabic IIRC), sticking the author of the posts on the right puts them out on a limb and more difficult to read. If, like me, you only look to see who the author is on some posts, usually at the end of reading the post, your eyes are somewhere in the middle (l-r) of the screen. The natural thing to do then is to go to the left, as if starting reading a new line. Moving your eyes right to a new column is a less "natural" action :smt018

Not sure what the new topic "icons" mean. In terms of indicating what topics you have read etc. There are 3 possibilities:

* Unvisited topic, therefore with unread posts.
* Previously visited topic, with new, unread posts.
* Previously visited topic, with no unread posts.

You have 4 "icons". A static set of lines looking like a paragraph in a red or blue circle, plus a scrolling set of lines, again in a red or blue circle). Why 4 :smt017
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I've posted. Seemed painless but quite plain, in its current format
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

It looks very good. I like it a lot. Much cleaner with a more modern feel.

Can we have the ability to upload our own avatars, please? Call me perverse but I'd like to be able to see some of my fellow fans, if they so chose.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

Seems better though a little bright & stark.
Pip
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Can't comment on mobile use - only view on laptop.

Looks a bit stark - anodyne even.

Prefer to see poster's name on the left - having it on the right is a tad counter-intuitive imho.

Would have liked a 'like' (and 'don't like') feature - such as is on twitter. Would mean more feedback to posters (and others) with regard to how much support their idea might have. At the moment, we either have page after page of +1's and :smt023 or we have people who might agree but are fed up with +1's etc!

Otherwise - progress is good!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigersAdminPudz

Thanks all for taking the time to have a look and post your thoughts.

We reviewed a number of solutions, and decided on the upgrade to the existing one as we felt it was more important to make it as easy for current users to continue using it.

With regards the users being on the left...we were working on the premise that what was said, was more important that who was saying it....granted....not always true!

Two features we're looking to add, are uploading your own avatars, and a "like" system. There are ways of supporting this on the new forum, but the avatars will have to be sized before you upload them, and the "like" functionality is a add-on piece of software which may cause issues if we ever upgrade.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Having logged in on my phone, the mobile optimisation works really well. Great work on that.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Oh, a request if I may for the new app (you may be already ahead of me here).

Could we have push notifications? For things like breaking news, team announcements, latest scores, fixture confirmations etc. I'd find that really useful myself. Could allow people to select what kind of notifications you receive - have a look at how BBC Sport do that.
TigersAdminPudz

Hi Iain,

We will have push notifications on the new app, but at the moment it will be an all or nothing option!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Excellent news!

I'm cool with the all or nothing option as it goes :smt023
TigersAdminPudz

Just so that everyone is aware....we have had some geeky issues with the TTL on our DNS, so we're delaying the changeover of the forum until next week while our boffins in white coats line up their 1's and 0's!
:smt024