Premiership and European Fixtures for next season - 2017-18

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership and European Fixtures for next season - 2017

Post by ourla »

Robespierre wrote:Sorry, chaps, but I can't see an away win among Racing, Castres and Munster.
Let's concentrate on the league!!
I'll get my coat before the rotten tomatoes start flying!
Wow

:smt012 :smt018 :smt024
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

No point in speculating at this point. We've a new coach, some new players, etc. We need to see how our form pans out before we get too excited or downbeat. It's basically an OK draw.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:No point in speculating at this point. We've a new coach, some new players, etc. We need to see how our form pans out before we get too excited or downbeat. It's basically an OK draw.
It could have been worse.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Yes, could've been worse. However, Tigers' chances of progressing aren't good.
So they've won in Munster before, but their record in France ain't so good.
Ok, new coach and new players means that we'll have to wait and see.
Castres is only a couple of hours from home so I'll be going!
Semper in excretia
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Tigers to squash Racing. Take my word for it. Keep the faith.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Robespierre wrote:Yes, could've been worse. However, Tigers' chances of progressing aren't good.
Away victories in Europe are pretty precious across the board. Castres and Racing were the two lowest finishers in the Pro14 to qualify. With the new format easy pickings are minimal. That's not to say I expect us to qualify but I don't understand your negativity.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Yes, could've been worse. However, Tigers' chances of progressing aren't good.
Away victories in Europe are pretty precious across the board. Castres and Racing were the two lowest finishers in the Pro14 to qualify. With the new format easy pickings are minimal. That's not to say I expect us to qualify but I don't understand your negativity.
Neither do I sometimes! However, there's no escaping the fact that these two away fixtures are going to be hard ( as indeed will the home games!). Castres are usually a tough nut to crack at their Pierre Antoine ground, although not unbeatable, as La Rochelle and if I remember correctly, Bordeaux won there last season in the Top14. As for Racing, despite what our cher ami ZSF declares, they will be formidable opposition too.
So will Tigers get out of their pool? I sincerely hope so, but my negativity gets the better of me!
Semper in excretia
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote:So biffer will embra let me register for their forum so I can follow cockers or am I still on the black list?
How did you manage to do that? It's so damn quiet on there I'm surprised anyone noticed you'd been.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
biffer wrote:Yeah, only way that could've been worse is if they had Ulster instead of Ospreys, given how unbelievably awful the Welsh sides always are in Europe.
Only the Italians and Scots are worse.
Like Glasgow who man shamed Tigers home and away last year?
One Swallow does not a summer make. As I pointed out in my follow up post, biffer said "always", not just one season.

If you want to talk pool games, in 2006-7, Scarlets beat Toulouse, Ulster and Irish home and away, only the 4th time a team had won all their pool games. This when Toulouse were a force in Europe (champions 2003, 2005 & 2010, runners up 2004 & 2008).

You keep lining the ducks up Roly, I'll shoot 'em down :smt002
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I am somewhat gobsmacked by the negativity before any of the games, let alone the season, have been played? For some having Trevios, Zebre as the only two other sides in the Tigers pool would be 'a pool of death'.

MOC took a vulnerable Tigers squad to the Prem semis, which IMO they should have won but they didnt so move on. I am sure that MOC will look at the way the Tigers performed last season concentrating on the bad and making the good even better. My 'Tigers' glass is always full regardless and I cannot wait to travel to France and Ireland for the away games and see the Tigers win the lot.

For the Tigers squad to get to the semis last season says that there is not anything drastically wrong with the squad. The Tigers may not have the big names that some on here ask for and some belittle those that the Tigers have as not being good enough. I believe that the Tigers have always had that team ethic that sets them above other sides, many past players like Jim Hamilton cannot praise the Tigers enough as a club. How does that transpose on to the paddock? By the players having the belief in themselves to perform to their best, the coaches to get them there, and for us as supporters to show them that we believe and respect them regardless of the results. It is after all a game of rugby and in my playing days you just moved on from that last game, win or lose, to the next making the effort to win them all, just as the Tigers do.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think a lack of belief is often misinterpreted as negativity.
Given the past few seasons it's understandable that some may lack belief, it's fair enough and no big deal IMO, it's all to prove.
All the groups look very competitive and qualification will be tough.
Some groups look much closer than others and IMO form, injuries and some debatable officiating will count for a lot in the end!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
You keep lining the ducks up Roly, I'll shoot 'em down :smt002
Well, you can try. Glasgow certainly haven't weakened their squad.

But it remains to be seen if the last season's success is indeed a harbinger of more success to come.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Agreed Ourla but telling this lot to stop speculating is probably less worthwhile than putting your finger into a dyke. The Dutch variety I hasten to add.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Noddy555 wrote:Agreed Ourla but telling this lot to stop speculating is probably less worthwhile than putting your finger into a dyke. The Dutch variety I hasten to add.
You're not digging yourself out of that hole, Nodders! :smt003
No pun intended :smt043
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership and European Fixtures for next season - 2017-18

Post by strawclearer »

...and we start with Barf at Welford Road followed by the trip to Franklins Gardens! :smt026
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives