New Signings !!!! I am totally under whelmed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: New Signings !!!! I am totally under whelmed

Post by Noddy555 »

Several posters may be underwhelmed but please lets give these players a chance to prove themselves.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:If it's true we are looking at two more centres plus a No8, great.
I think we need someone who can bring an explosive physical presence at 12, then someone who can unlock a defence, be it a playmaker 10/12, or even just a dynamic outside runner at 13. I know he's been getting some negative views on here, but I wouldn't be against Eastmond, would fill the distributor role at 12, and also alternatively be a dangerous runner at 13 with footwork and pace. Add in a gainline busting 12, a big Polynesian maybe, and I think we'd have a decent balance to our backline.
Assuming the 8 may well be a project like Mapapalangi. Can't see it being a high profile international player.
To be looking at two centres and an 8, would this suggest further departures? One player at risk in my opinion is Macafferey. I rate him, but he's not a hard hitting 6, not a groundhog 7, not a big carrying 8, more of a bit of decent all rounder. With Williams, Hamilton, and now Ryan vying for 6 shirt, O'Connor, Evans and Ryan battling for the 7 shirt, and Kalamafoni, Hamilton plus another 8 fighting for the 7 spot, Macafferey looks expendable. Sad to say, as he's always been Quality in my opinion, but just doesn't leap out as a banker starter. Equally Croft could be seen as expendable? In the backs, Betham going justifies one centre, does a second centre require further squad cutting?

One other area we still need to add for me, is prop. Losing Ayerza, Balmain and Brugnara leaves us a little lighter than I'd like. Betts is a talent, but one prop to replace all three is risky. He replaces Balmain for me, as the fringe TH behind the internationals. Need to add at least one more. I rate mulipola highly as a player, but I don't have a lot of faith in his durability.

Eastmond, a Pacific Islander explosive 12/13, Mapapalangi, and a prop? Perfect.
I don't think we would need Eastmond and another pacific island centre as well as manu and toomua who we already have, that would lead to good players not getting enough game time. If manu or toomua got injured then it is worth bringing i n a younger player who would not expect as much game time if there are no injuries. Although I do agree with one of Eastmond or a pacific island centre (the only obvious choice i could find was Botia) but I would rather have eastmond as we already have manu as a power centre.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Noddy555 wrote:Several posters may be underwhelmed but please lets give these players a chance to prove themselves.
Totally agree. They may turn out to be as good as Adam Thompstone who wasn't universally seen as a stellar signing but who we wouldn't be without now.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

seems as tho people will be storing up their bile for the next few months and come out spitting venom after the first pre-season if its not a 50 nil thrashing of someone.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Snorbins wrote:seems as tho people will be storing up their bile for the next few months and come out spitting venom after the first pre-season if its not a 50 nil thrashing of someone.
alas the weaknesses evident in preseason do seem to manifest themselves in the season.....I can remember a couple of very lacklustre efforts that were mirrored in lacklustre seasons that stuttered and stuttered...
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

jgriffin wrote:
Snorbins wrote:seems as tho people will be storing up their bile for the next few months and come out spitting venom after the first pre-season if its not a 50 nil thrashing of someone.
alas the weaknesses evident in preseason do seem to manifest themselves in the season.....I can remember a couple of very lacklustre efforts that were mirrored in lacklustre seasons that stuttered and stuttered...
Yes a trip to the Scottish borders was a bit of warning wasn't it
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Some of our recent pre season games have been woeful struggling against significantly more lowly sides. Let's not forget it was preseason for them too.
If it were us taking it lightly to entertain the crowd it might have been acceptable but we leaked tries and continued in that fashion when the season started.

Let's hope a for better this season.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

50 nil thrashing :smt017 When was the last time Tigers did that during the season let alone preseason :smt039
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Richardfje wrote:I don't think we would need Eastmond and another pacific island centre as well as manu and toomua who we already have, that would lead to good players not getting enough game time. If manu or toomua got injured then it is worth bringing i n a younger player who would not expect as much game time if there are no injuries. Although I do agree with one of Eastmond or a pacific island centre (the only obvious choice i could find was Botia) but I would rather have eastmond as we already have manu as a power centre.
Botia would fit the bill, not sure if he'd be available.
As for having Manu, all well and good when available for selection (international duty or injury permitting). Outside of Toomua, we don't have too many natural options at 12.

Eastmond/Botia two very different 12's. Add Mapapalangi, that's a lot better balance.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:
Richardfje wrote:I don't think we would need Eastmond and another pacific island centre as well as manu and toomua who we already have, that would lead to good players not getting enough game time. If manu or toomua got injured then it is worth bringing i n a younger player who would not expect as much game time if there are no injuries. Although I do agree with one of Eastmond or a pacific island centre (the only obvious choice i could find was Botia) but I would rather have eastmond as we already have manu as a power centre.
Botia would fit the bill, not sure if he'd be available.
As for having Manu, all well and good when available for selection (international duty or injury permitting). Outside of Toomua, we don't have too many natural options at 12.

Eastmond/Botia two very different 12's. Add Mapapalangi, that's a lot better balance.
I think Henry Slade would answer many of the questions we have around centres, cover for Ford and spot kicking. I just don't think he'd come to a less successful club :smt044
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Chobbsy wrote:Well after yesterdays announcement of the new signings I am left underwhelmed I hope 2 things,

1, I am proved totally wrong (I am married so I am used to that)
2, That there are more signings to come.

Oh and just to head off any outbursts, this isn't me going against Tigers, not being a true Tigers fan, wanting MOC out, it is just my opinion.
While there may not be any 'headliner' names other than GF, If those that have signed can better the 4th place of this year then it will be a +! MOC knows what and who he wants so I'm fully prepared to wait and see, venting my spleen as I wish when it is right, IMO, to do so. Hang in there Chobbsy and keep the faith.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

I think another good option for tigers could be Ben Te'o as he continues to play for an unsuccessful premiership club, so I think he would be for the idea of joining an english club with a lot of history of success where he would probably get a lot of game time too

Another obvious option would be Michele Campagnaro who is a kind of centre that would add a lot of excitement to the squad and even though you could say he is down sizing the premiership table fluctuates hugely from season to season and he would also get more game time here as well
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Richardfje wrote:I think another good option for tigers could be Ben Te'o as he continues to play for an unsuccessful premiership club, so I think he would be for the idea of joining an english club with a lot of history of success where he would probably get a lot of game time too

Another obvious option would be Michele Campagnaro who is a kind of centre that would add a lot of excitement to the squad and even though you could say he is down sizing the premiership table fluctuates hugely from season to season and he would also get more game time here as well
Ben Te'o? Dream on. He's under contract at Worcester and is their biggest earner. There's literally no chance of us buying out his contract then paying him the big time wages he'll want.

Campagnaro is also under contract. Think he signed a new deal at Exeter earlier this year.
Tiger Cub

Signing - Stop Moaning!

Post by 1988 »

There is a lot of moaning about new signing on here. I for one would like to welcome the new players.

How about we respect the decisions the club has made and back the new players - alternatively ... support a club that has signed the players you like.

Completely agree with discussing rumours and players we would like etc, but once they are officially signed a announced, back them.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I bet you were also underwhelmed when we signed Telusa Veainu?!

Look how good he is!