Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote:
TheRock wrote:The Rugby Paper saying today Clermont and Exeter are battling out to sign betham.
Seems he was one of the players MOC deemed surplus to requirements.
Was great in his first season but has been poor this season especially towards the start where he didn't really seem interested.
won't be the only one.
I expect a few more names to emerge in the next couple of weeks.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

PB has still a couple of years on contract. Don't want to see him at Chiefs. Rather he didn't go!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Snorbins wrote:PB has still a couple of years on contract. Don't want to see him at Chiefs. Rather he didn't go!
By the sounds of it is more a question of where he's going rather than if he's going.
Would rather he went to France simply so we don't get endless people moaning on here about us letting another player go to chiefs.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TheRock wrote:
Snorbins wrote:PB has still a couple of years on contract. Don't want to see him at Chiefs. Rather he didn't go!
By the sounds of it is more a question of where he's going rather than if he's going.
Would rather he went to France simply so we don't get endless people moaning on here about us letting another player go to chiefs.
TBH he could play in the America rugby league and people would still moan about letting another play go when he scores a try.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Whilst PB was awesome last year he hasn't shone this season at all, 27 appearances in all competitions this season only scoring 4 tries and getting 2 yellow cards isn't great, he is probably on decent wages too (I think with him it's more of a case of value for money rather than is he good or not) so it might make sense to try and get some ££££ from Clermont
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think it'd be foolish to let PB leave. He's had a fairly poor season, but surely has credit in the bank from a very strong season last year. He may actually begin to fit in better again next season with the new leadership and with another superb passing 10.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Agreed Hot Charlie Peter Betham is basically a good player,just suffering occasionally from a lack of form. He was brilliant in the semi final.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

soggytiger wrote:Possible new signings announcements tied in with new kits, fixture lists etc. As for props - maybe a loan signing from Doncaster or Nottingham is easier than using salary cap up early. Given we can replace front rows in all competitions more easily than other postitions.
I highly highly doubt Tigers will get any loan signings from Nottingham- given the fact we're shoring up the prop sized holes in our squad with two loan signings from Wasps Academy we don't have the luxury of a spare prop! I do however wish we did :smt011
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why is there no "Betham is being treated badly, Cohen should go" comments like there was with Burns?

Both players still in contract and being released early (of Betham) is going to be. What's the difference?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote:Why is there no "Betham is being treated badly, Cohen should go" comments like there was with Burns?

Both players still in contract and being released early (of Betham) is going to be. What's the difference?
I mean technically Fissler says that MOC wants to keep Betham. (Not sure I blieve that though).
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote:Why is there no "Betham is being treated badly, Cohen should go" comments like there was with Burns?

If you cannot see the difference in situations then you are even more of an idiot than I previously thought :smt017 ..Please see below to help you out:

-One is at the end of the season not mid
-PB is not being used as a bargaining chip or swapped
-The club aren't keeping secrets on this situation from PB it is all being discussed with him to my knowledge
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JackFlashJonny wrote:

If you cannot see the difference in situations then you are even more of an idiot than I previously thought :smt017 ..Please see below to help you out:

-One is at the end of the season not mid
-PB is not being used as a bargaining chip or swapped
-The club aren't keeping secrets on this situation from PB it is all being discussed with him to my knowledge
You don't know any more about what conversations were had with Burns than I do. How do you know it wasn't discussed with Burns? How do you know that Betham wasn't told when MOC arrived that he may be moved on? How do you know the club aren't talking to another club about swapping Betham with someone?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I do if you haven't listened to the Rugby Pod podcast (which I imagine you haven't because you only seem to like pro Tigers media coverage and not the game as a whole) plus I am not an idiot :smt003 ...also via the Rugby Pod podcast what Burns had to say on the matter was not very positive...

Betham on the other hand is all conjecture as it hasn't happened yet..and even if it does the main point is it is the end of the season not right in the middle of it!

If by some miracle coincidence we are swapping Betham with Exeter can it please be for Michele Campagnaro he is a fine centre used surprisingly little by the Chiefs..
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

According to James Concar on the ultras Facebook page :

'There will be a later than normal flurry of activity, MOC has needed time to see what he already has, he has now decided which areas need investment but now needs to free up some wage role to accommodate, can't bring everyone in until a few more are out, that's where it gets complicated because that involves moving on players that are under contract.'

Seems like a few more signings and departures than initially expected!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Clermont have signed Peter Betham on a two year deal according to Ben Coles on twitter (PlanetRugby) link to follow

Wish him all the best and sorry to see him go...