Better Play Off System?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Better Play Off System?

Post by Phil B »

Just a thought. Am watching the Indian T20 tournament - the IPL. The top 4 teams are in the play off. Let's call them 1, 2, 3, and 4. Team 1 has home advantage and plays team 2. The winner goes directly to the Final. Meanwhile, 3 and 4 play each other and the winner plays the loser of the first game, which was between 1 and 2. The winner goes to the Final. I like it, :smt038 as it is not sudden death for the team finishing either first or second in the group stages.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Better Play Off System?

Post by ellis9 »

That's awful. You could lose a play off game and then get another chance and then win the league.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

That's why I like it. Seems fair to me, as you have finished first or second, and there is a real incentive to do so. :smt026
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The incentive is already there to finish first or second as you get home advantage. Sorry, if that play off system was brought in, the game would become a joke in my opinion. It's already strange enough that you don't need to finish top to be champions, let alone being able to get a second chance of doing so!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Sorry, not warm to that idea at all.

Two things. Teams 1 & 2 could end up playing each other twice, once in the play-off and then again in the 'final'.I don't like that.

Also, you would need three weeks to play all the matches which would take longer. Not too sure I'm keen on that either.

Full marks for creativity and being a bit different, but I prefer the current system.

:smt023
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Playing devils advocate.......
Why do we need a playoff. The season is taking its toll on players with a big fixture list domestic, europe + international call ups.
Just a thought.. I know we (Tigers) would suffer.. but teams would have to develop their game and not hit the straps for the last few games of the domestic season.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

wellstiger wrote:Playing devils advocate.......
Why do we need a playoff. The season is taking its toll on players with a big fixture list domestic, europe + international call ups.
Just a thought.. I know we (Tigers) would suffer.. but teams would have to develop their game and not hit the straps for the last few games of the domestic season.
Others will disagree, but here's the rationale:

Initially, it stopped the season being dull by one club (i.e. us) having the league wrapped up early and creating a lot of dead rubbers.
It also now means that the season remains competitive for more teams right through the league - pretty much everyone has something to play for pretty much right to the end. It does make more of the season more exciting - that's hard to deny.
In an era where league matches clash with international matches, it acts as something of a leveler - a repechage perhaps to compensate teams who may have been unduly affected by losing players. We've benefited from this over the years.
It's hard to get past "top=champions", I get that. But personally I've made my peace with it. The champions have been the team who win the play offs longer ow than the champions were automatically the team who finished top. And I think it's fair to say the league has been much more exciting in the play off era than it previously was - in no small part due to the play offs perhaps.
Plus, a Premiership grand final raises the profile of the domestic game which it undoubtedly still requires.

You may offer different weightings to the points I have made, but I'm sure most understand the logic.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm happy with it, but believe the team finishing top should get a title and trophy - Champions for the playoffs, League Winner title for the other.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jgriffin wrote:I'm happy with it, but believe the team finishing top should get a title and trophy - Champions for the playoffs, League Winner title for the other.
Why? Since there is a play-off system, topping the league at the end of the regular season is irrelevant (other than to secure the 'easiest' of the home semi-finals).

History only remembers who lifted the overall title trophy, unless you go to Wikipedia to check, most people will never know (or care) who finished top of the league.
Last edited by Roly on Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Having a play off system keeps the interest going most of the way down the league table. This has been used in Rugby League for many years. The difference is that the team finishing top in Rugby League are awarded a Shield in recognition and the overall Champions are the winners of the Grand Final.
Surelyhis is something that could be introduced into Union.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I don't necessarily think we need a change atm but you could make it so the top team automatically goes into a grand final and then either:

Teams 2 & 3 play off for a final place, or:
Teams 3&4 play off to meet team 2 in a semi final with the highest finishing team always having home advantage.

Theres massive incentive to finish top then, or as high as you can get.

The only problem I see with hat is that team 1 will be hanging around for a week or two while the others play off, which can also be beneficial in term of rest/injuries as well.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ads wrote:I don't necessarily think we need a change atm but you could make it so the top team automatically goes into a grand final and then either:

Teams 3&4 play off to meet team 2 in a semi final with the highest finishing team always having home advantage.

The only problem I see with hat is that team 1 will be hanging around for a week or two while the others play off, which can also be beneficial in term of rest/injuries as well.
The play-off system isn't perfect, but in its current format, its uncomplicated and relatively fair.

Don't fix what isn't (badly) broken...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Any system that extends the season with more matches is inferior in my book.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The one change I'd ideally make would be to change the location of the final and have it like in the Super 15: The final is played at the home ground of the highest ranked side.

Of course there are a million and one reasons why that would never happen over here. There's no way the Twickenham showpiece would be gotten rid of.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

ads wrote:I don't necessarily think we need a change atm but you could make it so the top team automatically goes into a grand final and then either:

You have summed up why the system of 2 v 3, then winner plays 1 in final didn't work when it was used in the first days of the play-offs.