Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done Ellis!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done Ellis!

Post by wardy »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39652871

Quite an experimental squad with 15 uncapped players but lots of experience as well.

Big surprise for me - no Mike Williams!
Give blood, play rugby!!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Only one Tiger in Argentina squad, well done Ellis

Post by Bunchy »

shame, but not a shock given Robshaw's return
Less is more....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

and I guess technically, George Ford is ours by then too
Less is more....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Slightly disappointing. Would have liked to have seen a few more Tigers involved. The motivation for Saints to sign Francis is now clear; Jones obviously wanted him. Disappointed Solomona has been picked. The residency rules can't change soon enough. Not a good way to encourage grass roots talent.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Agreed, very disappointing and far away from the days we formed the backbone of the England side, and even the Lions.

Our recent recruitment policy of going for overseas talent has clearly hurt our representation. Some may say it has also impacted (negatively) our ability to compete in the major competitions too.

Interesting to see Exeter with so many rising stars. They really are the "new Tigers" in so many ways ... :smt009
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Bristol Tiger wrote:Agreed, very disappointing and far away from the days we formed the backbone of the England side, and even the Lions.

Our recent recruitment policy of going for overseas talent has clearly hurt our representation. Some may say it has also impacted (negatively) our ability to compete in the major competitions too.

Interesting to see Exeter with so many rising stars. They really are the "new Tigers" in so many ways ... :smt009
Hard to disagree with that and hard not to admire what Exeter have done, 2nd favourite team
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

England Squad - two fingers to Tigers

Post by jgriffin »

England’s 31-man squad for Argentina tour

Forwards

Will Collier (Harlequins, uncapped), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 4 caps), Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 3 caps), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap), Dylan Hartley – captain (Northampton Saints, 84 caps), James Haskell (Wasps, 75 caps), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, 5 caps), Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 8 caps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, uncapped), Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 42 caps), Matt Mullan (Wasps, 15 caps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 55 caps), Sam Underhill (Ospreys/Bath Rugby, uncapped), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, 50 caps).

Backs
Mike Brown – vice-captain (Harlequins, 60 caps), Danny Care – vice captain (Harlequins, 71 caps), Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish, uncapped), Nathan Earle (Saracens, uncapped), George Ford – vice captain (Bath Rugby, 35 caps), Piers Francis (Auckland Blues/Northampton Saints, uncapped), Sam James (Sale Sharks, uncapped), Alex Lozowski (Saracens, uncapped), Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints, uncapped), Joe Marchant (Harlequins, uncapped), Jack Maunder (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 25 caps), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 4 caps), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks, uncapped).

Top #7 doesn't get picked then as do none of our other qualified players who are of that quality.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England Squad - two fingers to Tigers

Post by baz1664 »

Surely Barrow, M Williams, O'Connor and even Thompstone should have been in the mix for that squad, some odd, uninspiring selections by Jones.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Bristol Tiger wrote:
Probably because they weren't feeding off past glory with a core of supporters who would follow limited coaching skill, poor recruitment and a lethargic BoD over a cliff and were prepared to look to the future instead.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - two fingers to Tigers

Post by Roly »

baz1664 wrote:Surely Barrow, M Williams, O'Connor and even Thompstone should have been in the mix for that squad, some odd, uninspiring selections by Jones.
Decent players in a decent enough team, but hardly setting the world alight.

The likes of Cipriani and Wade for Wasps could feel aggrieved, but look at the talent available.

Denny Solomona is the disappointing selection for me.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done El

Post by mol2 »

I guess Mike Williams missed out to an extent because he hasn't been starting enough for Tigers.

Apart from Genge there isn't anyone who is really on the England radar (and not injured like Manu and Evans)
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Eddie has picked obviously a few players to just train.

I mean how Maunder is picked ahead of Robson I beyond me. So before everyone starts moaning and Crying just look at some of the players Eddie has left out else where Wade, Roko, Thompkins, Robson, Hill, Devoto, etc etc etc.

Tigers I mean the only players who could feel unlucky are Barrow, Williams and BOC as he has only taken 3 locks and Wood has shown nothing at international level to be picked.

JackFlashJonny wrote:He is boring, relentless and a troll but also some truth in there

None bar Genge deserve to go for me...we have a very average squad that must get paid far too much money when you look at what others get for the money
So I take it you have an idea on what players are paid do you?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please can we try and stick to the topic and not make personal snipes. Very hally for Genge but a bit disappointed that Williams did not make the squad.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

First post on this forum after a long time just being nosey! :smt006

I must say I'm baffled at the inclusion of the curry twins and Mallinder in this squad. O'Connor, Ewers and Devoto would've been much better options for me.

Fair play to Genge though, come a long way over the past 18 months. :smt038
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

It's a disgrace!

Yet again, Eddie (should be Ebbw) Jones (note the surname!) surrounds himself with his Welsh favourites! Just look at the names, especially all the double l's...

Will Collier (clearly Welsh mining stock), Llanellis Genge, Luke Cwmbran-Dickie, Danny Caerphilly, Dylan 'Thomas' Hartley, Haskell, Hill, Nathan 'Mark' Hughes, Joe Llaunchfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch-bury, Mullan, Underhill, Harry 'Shane' Williams, Tom 'Under Milk' Wood, Mallinder...

There are no Scots - again - and hardly any good old-fashioned Anglo-Saxon stock apart from Isiekwe, Cokanasiga, Lozowski, Solomona and a couple of Currys - Biryani and Tikka, I think!

It's time Jones The Manager realised that the next Welsh person to hold the Six Nations Cup is likely to be the engraver! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives