Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Post by johnthegriff »

Whilst I am not thrilled by the departure of Aaron Mauger just as the team seemed to be getting on track for the closing matches of the season I think some of the comments re Matt O Connor are unfair. When previously with us he, in combination with Cocker won trophies and got us to finals. Some say he did not use young players but Dan Cole, Tom Young, Ben Young, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees and Tom Croft established themselves during that time, George Ford made his debut and played in three finals.
I am not sure that the board have made a correct decision although I like the idea of no Director of Rugby just coaches responsible for coaching. Actually I have been impressed by Ged Glynn when I have met him. I believe the changes to the Academy structure are working, the Head Coach will advise the Head of Rugby Affairs what sort of player he needs in a position and it will be that persons job to find the right man within the budget allowed by the CEO. Therefore no excuses by the coaches for lack of success, seems straight forward to me.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MikeR wrote:Leinster seemed to have improved out of all recognition since he left !
Conversely, our, proper, decline coincided with his departure! IMHO :smt003
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote:Who says Glynn will be in the locker room?
only as a figure of speech as there are utterings that he is to have a more prominent role apparently?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerCam wrote:
RagingBull wrote:Who says Glynn will be in the locker room?
only as a figure of speech as there are utterings that he is to have a more prominent role apparently?

Yeh in the non playin side of things.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote:Whilst I am not thrilled by the departure of Aaron Mauger just as the team seemed to be getting on track for the closing matches of the season I think some of the comments re Matt O Connor are unfair. When previously with us he, in combination with Cocker won trophies and got us to finals. Some say he did not use young players but Dan Cole, Tom Young, Ben Young, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees and Tom Croft established themselves during that time, George Ford made his debut and played in three finals.
Ben Youngs, Croft, Cole all played for Tigers first team before MOC joined. Tom Youngs transition to hooker was a Meyer project. Twelvetrees was sent out to Bedford for a year where he performed exceptionally and was brought back, rumours were he didn't get on with the shouty style of MOC. Manu was a force of nature, developing not really required.

It's telling that the Tigers players are sorry Mauger is leaving rather than telling of their excitement over MOC's return.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Coops wrote:
L Smith wrote:I've contacted the club to share my thoughts with them.
The more I think about this, the angrier I'm getting.
The popular opinion after this was leaked via the Mercury should have told the board all they need to know. The fans expected and deserved better.
Do you expect a sensible well thought out response?
The response was a cut and paste jobby from the press release :smt013
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

Who was it who suggested Mike Ford for DoR?

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... -of-season
A citizen of hope and glory
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Well somebody might have to protect George from the shouty man
I'm not cynical just experienced
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote:Something people have to bear in mind is that coaches evolve as well as players. MOC came here as a young coach and would have been heavily influenced by the DoR, board and other coaches of the day. Having moved onto Leinster and then back to Oz and a little bit of international exposure one would hope he has developed and isn't wedded to the past.

+1 !!
Reassuring to read some rational thoughts instead of all the negative drivel that appears elsewhere in this thread. MOC is being crucified before he even sets foot in the changing rooms.
Ok, his objective will be to secure 4th position - no easy task, given that we have to go to Saints, Bath (at Twickers) and Worcester, and have Falcons and Sale at home. I've not looked at the fixtures of the other sides in contention for the 4th spot, but how many of those games are we likely to win? On current form, maybe 2 or 3. If we can win the first two - a big IF, then we're in with a chance.
If however, we don't make it, the knives will be out. :censored:, they're even being sharpened now!
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sam16111986 wrote:
johnthegriff wrote:Whilst I am not thrilled by the departure of Aaron Mauger just as the team seemed to be getting on track for the closing matches of the season I think some of the comments re Matt O Connor are unfair. When previously with us he, in combination with Cocker won trophies and got us to finals. Some say he did not use young players but Dan Cole, Tom Young, Ben Young, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees and Tom Croft established themselves during that time, George Ford made his debut and played in three finals.
Ben Youngs, Croft, Cole all played for Tigers first team before MOC joined. Tom Youngs transition to hooker was a Meyer project. Twelvetrees was sent out to Bedford for a year where he performed exceptionally and was brought back, rumours were he didn't get on with the shouty style of MOC. Manu was a force of nature, developing not really required.

It's telling that the Tigers players are sorry Mauger is leaving rather than telling of their excitement over MOC's return.
12T was not in favour according to the Costa rumour factory at the time, neither was TF but MOC was over a barrel there. You are correct AFAIK about develoment, and yes, the bench use was an issue. So was the lateral play and simplistic tactics. However, we will have to see. The portents are not good, but then part of this team will be gone, some more to go IMO, and possibly some of the good supporting coaches.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am on holiday in the Canaries and to say I am gob smacked at the stupidity of this appointment has just spoiled a nice trip. What a ridiculous time to make it change. I know that the team will do it's best to beat the Saints but for the rest of the season under a new coach means to me that the board have written it off. Mauger was beginning to make a difference and that effort is now wasted. SACK THE BOARD!!!!!!
Hehehehehehehehe
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Well having gone through 12 pages of comments I find the reaction of the majority very interesting. I am sorry to see Cockers and Mauger go on a human level as they are Tigers and have given their best for our club. However taking the emotion out of things our results, performances and recruitment over the last few seasons has been poor to put it mildly. We may have won a few games since Cockers departed but not against anyone of any real quality. I agree there were signs of improvement until Exeter showed us how far we are off the pace.

I also agree its harsh on Mauger and fair play to the bloke to hang around for the Saints game but that isn't O'Connors fault.

The negativity around the appointment of Matt O'Connor seems to focus on two key points, his personality and his time at Leinster. I'm not sure any of us could name a coach that has been successful in every job, failure is an important part of learning and experience. Regarding his personality, I don't want to take him home for tea I want him to win Rugby matches and personally I don't much care how he does it. While I love to see fast, open free flowing rugby, I hate losing, so up the jumper when required is good for me.

Regarding the reaction from the players I completely understand them expressing their disappointment at Maugers departure it shows the respect they had for him but I'm not aware of any of them criticising the appointment of O'Connor which some on the forum seem to be implying.

So a sad phase in the clubs history? Absolutely, not nice to see and I feel for the individuals involved, but that's professional sport whether we like it or not.

Finally amidst the barrage of anger, disgust and disappointment at the return of O'Connor I haven't seen a consensus of opinion for an alternative coach either today or since the departure of Cockers. I'm not a huge fan of consultants but again there is huge critiscm of the process but only because people don't like the outcome.

I'm not really sure what O'Connor has done to deserve all this negativity, I've no idea how successful he will be but I truly hope he takes us back to the winning ways of his previous tenure.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Clearly this is big talking point. I really do wonder what difference AM was making after 2 years and with the recent results against the 'big' teams? He is a great bloke and players reaction suggest to me he is a mate they don't want to lose
The timing does seem strange, however if we get to a semi and even beyond it may be seen differently.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:Well having gone through 12 pages of comments I find the reaction of the majority very interesting. I am sorry to see Cockers and Mauger go on a human level as they are Tigers and have given their best for our club. However taking the emotion out of things our results, performances and recruitment over the last few seasons has been poor to put it mildly. We may have won a few games since Cockers departed but not against anyone of any real quality. I agree there were signs of improvement until Exeter showed us how far we are off the pace.

I also agree its harsh on Mauger and fair play to the bloke to hang around for the Saints game but that isn't O'Connors fault.

The negativity around the appointment of Matt O'Connor seems to focus on two key points, his personality and his time at Leinster. I'm not sure any of us could name a coach that has been successful in every job, failure is an important part of learning and experience. Regarding his personality, I don't want to take him home for tea I want him to win Rugby matches and personally I don't much care how he does it. While I love to see fast, open free flowing rugby, I hate losing, so up the jumper when required is good for me.

Regarding the reaction from the players I completely understand them expressing their disappointment at Maugers departure it shows the respect they had for him but I'm not aware of any of them criticising the appointment of O'Connor which some on the forum seem to be implying.

So a sad phase in the clubs history? Absolutely, not nice to see and I feel for the individuals involved, but that's professional sport whether we like it or not.

Finally amidst the barrage of anger, disgust and disappointment at the return of O'Connor I haven't seen a consensus of opinion for an alternative coach either today or since the departure of Cockers. I'm not a huge fan of consultants but again there is huge critiscm of the process but only because people don't like the outcome.

I'm not really sure what O'Connor has done to deserve all this negativity, I've no idea how successful he will be but I truly hope he takes us back to the winning ways of his previous tenure.

Good post, Grumpy! Another voice of reason comes to the fore!
Semper in excretia
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Tigersunited wrote:if we get to a semi and even beyond it may be seen differently.
Certainly by me Wife...here's hoping! :smt023