Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Post by strawclearer »

Veainu, Betham, Burns, Hamilton, Harrison, Thacker, Worth, Rizzo and Genge all 'liking' a tweet thanking Mauger for all his hard work and contribution towards this rugby club and describing him as 'a legend'.

Don't want to read too much into it but Matt O'Connor will need to move quickly to 'win' the dressing room...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

MMMMMmmmmmm.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

strawclearer wrote:Veainu, Betham, Burns, Hamilton, Harrison, Thacker, Worth, Rizzo and Genge all 'liking' a tweet thanking Mauger for all his hard work and contribution towards this rugby club and describing him as 'a legend'.

Don't want to read too much into it but Matt O'Connor will need to move quickly to 'win' the dressing room...

Wouldn't read to much into that.

A lot of the players did the same thing for Cockers despite reportedly having a hand in his dismissal.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Fissler and Goode both seeming to suggest Ged Glynn taking the DoR role. Really???
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

With Cocker and Matt O Connor at the helm Tiger's enjoyed success but some people just did not like them. Winning the Premiership and scoring more tries than our competitors was not good enough for some fans, Matt o C was particularly singled out as for some reason he seems to get on the wrong side of what should be his supporters where ever he goes. Personally I think if in January we had released Aaron Mauger, kept Cocker and brought MOC back I would not have been upset but we seem to have now denied Mage the chance to do things his own way and come to a decision that upsets the fans and the players. I wonder what the incoming George Ford thinks of this change in management?
If indeed there is a change in structure with no Director of Rugby and a promotion or increase in responsibility for Ged Glyn then I am happy about that. It was always something of an anomaly having a Head Coach when his direct boss was actively coaching, with hindsight it was better with the Deano system when Wellsy and Stransky or Pat Howard coached and Deano directed.
I am a Tigers fan and will continue supporting and expect to be doing so after MOC has departed, I cannot say that I am in favour of this appointment, mind you, I was against Eddie Jones being made England Head Coach.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

johnthegriff wrote:I wonder what the incoming George Ford thinks of this change in management?
Maybe he knew about it as part of his contract negotiations?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

How can it not be a great decision? It seems to me that several posters have short memories. 3 Title Wins, an Anglo/Welsh cup win 2012 and a European final in 2009.
Isn't it remarkable that until last Sunday we had won zilch since he left. Is that because he was the driving force behind our success in those 5 years 2008 to 2013
and when he left it exposed Cockerill for what he was i.e. Useless!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

As a Leinster supporter I think this is a very regressive move by your club. MOC spent two seasons with us during which he won the Pro12 League title, which a lot of supporters felt was won on the basis of work put in by his predecessor, Joe Schmidt. During his second season the quality of performance by his team went slowly but irrevocably downhill to the point where we were struggling to beat teams that we should have been belting out of the RDS. It was touch and go whether we would secure the last qualifying place for Europe the next season, not doing so until our last match of that season. At the final whistle in that match having limped over the line for a barely deserved victory many ST holders around me and Mrs. JohnB had much the same reaction, "Thank heavens we don't have to watch that muck again until October!". The type of rugby that the squad was playing was so dreadful to watch that we couldn't even derive pleasure from our victories. In addition to that it was clear that MOC had favourites (which admittedly all coaches do) but what was galling about that was that allied to that he had very little interest in considering or promoting youth. Our promising young winger, Adam Byrne, simply could not get a look in with MOC in charge. Byrne is still very raw but undeniably talented and it is to Leo, Girvan and Stuart's credit that they've given him so much game time this season from which he is learning all the time. Perhaps MOC V.2 will do the business for you but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

What an horrendous shambles. I feel like I'm supporting a football club. The revolving door thar has been increasingly in motion for great players seems to have sucked coaches in to its vortex. Surely it would have been better to wait until May for this; is this the board's way of saying "Sod it, we don't think we'll make the top 5 so let's change now and hit the ground running next season"? Not a great message to send out especially after the highs of Sunday.

Personally I think MoC is a good coach and I honestly couldn't give a .... if he has a foul mouth or not. He knows the club and was extremely successful when he was here. He is likely to bring in some big ball carriers in the forwards and we desperately need that element of our game back in order to provide better ball for what (if fit) will be an absolutely stellar back line next season. YBY is not the same player behind a pack that is being stopped on the gain line.

Just... why now?!
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Strict social media code at clubs these days, so despite players having views about Mauger etc, they shouldn't be posting on social media about it. Unprofessional whatever way you look at it. Some people are never happy. I remember Mauger getting stick on here when Cockers was sacked, some even blaming Mauger for getting him sacked ! I wonder what other coaches or DoRs people wanted to come in ? It seems a safe option and weird timing to me, someone who knows the club and did reasonably well when last here. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt shall we ? I suspect Mauger was offered backs coach maybe and didn't want it ?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I am shocked.

Reminds me of the leaving party when one of the bosses says – (inebriated) :smt030 :smt030 good luck son, you’ll always be welcome back you know (liar).

And then a phone call, “You remember what you said at my leaving do…”? :smt006

Have never been a fan of going back to old pastures myself. As for Mauger, I guess they told him he could stay on if he wished, knowing full well that anyone with an ounce of self-respect would have to say “thanks and no thanks”.

As with all things, one hopes it will turn out well. :smt017
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It was mentioned weeks ago that Tigers wanted to get someone in by the end of this month so they had the end of the season to settle in etc so the timing is totally expected and hasn't surprised me one bit.

The thing I'm unhappy with is the person the club have chosen to take the club forward. I also think we should have appointed a DOR. It sounds like Ged Glynn is going to take this role or something similar but that will just be a glorified recruitment role. What a shambles!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Tigers board - boring and stepping backwards.
What is wrong with promoting from within. Some of the best rugby I've seen Tigers play was in Anglo Welsh. Mixture of youth and experience admitted but style of play, energy and commitment was warming. Therefore if you take on board Murphy, Deacon and Blaze, inexperienced as they may be at coaching but add the Tiger DNA and knowing what it takes to win surly we should have considered promoting from within.
Doesn't seam the norm though - too much of a gamble to promote players or staff from within the culture. So why go to the expense of training individuals , also at a cost to the club? - easier to bring in at a cost and then to bull locks and Pies every one off.
The Exeter model works for them ( Sat result exempting)
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

Yes it does seem an odd time but.....

these are just maybe points but something to think about

He did try to promote a more open play but was shot down by the former DOR and maybe if he had been left to coach we may not have slipped as far as we have?

Yes it seems early and odd but does this still give us time to off-load dead weight and bring in the type of players we have been lacking for a while?

Maybe when asked if he wanted the role of head coach with no DOR Mauger opted to step down and the club felt there was not point waiting?

As for Leinster he may not have had the best of times but was that a transition of players? not sure if there had been some big names stepping down/aside around the same time? also I do feel in the Irish sides the IRFU did have a lot of say in who plays and how much and with a lot of big names with big voices a coach could fall foul of player power.

I am still unsure on the new era ahead but I will for one give him time to get to grips with the good parts of the squad and the large number of issues in the squad and see how it takes shape.

As for TV and other players on twitter I think its great to show respect for a great guy leaving but we have to remember no coach or player is bigger than the club and if TV or anyone else is unhappy about thing in the club and feel it right to vent on social media that's fine but if he is really unhappy then no matter how good a player he is then maybe its time to move on as when the rot sets in with the players it only harms the club in the long run. Player come and go as do backroom staff but the club has to come first.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

In response to Veainu's tweet, someone said to him:
T, get yourself out of here. Clubs not right.

Guess who liked it? Veainu himself!