Does it deserve a red card?
Not for me.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toby Flood red carded - not happy!!

Post by chewbacca »

If Brive player had rolled away then he wouldn't have got shoed A few years ago it would have been the norm.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

The knee drop looked pre-meditated & the rucking was reckless because he got the face.

Either on their own only a yellow, or knee drop then rucking on the the body, and let the citing comission decide if it was worthy of a red - but with both of them together worthy of a red IMO.

Fully agree with chewbacca though, the Brive player could have avoided it all by rolling
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The shoeing was reckless contact with the head of the player - just daft to let himself get close to the head when he could have easily milked penalty. Probably a red if he actually made contact with the head. Not convinced that his boot actually contacted the head - the only view shown did not show whether that was the head or chest. Sure the player grabbed his face but that may just have been an attempt to avoid getting penalised for not rolling away.
The knee was more cynical but pretty trivial - again he gave away a needless penalty and yellow card just about.

If he had rucked with his left boot he would probably not have been penalised at all as it wasn't stamping.
Last edited by mol2 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Spot on Chew! That was good ol' fashioned rucking. If the opposition player chooses to stay where he was, he gets what's coming.
The only doubt is the lowering of the knees on the initial contact, but from what we can see it doesn't appear to be overly aggressive.
A pound to a pinch of you know what,if that had been in New Zealand, then nothing would have been said. Over-reacting by the ref in my opinion.
Tough on Toby.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

New directives this season, that if the boot catches the face of a player on the floor in a ruck then can be a red. I agree he should have rolled, but this was primarily designed due to the damage being caused by players just poking their feet through in rucks blindly.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

If the report I read is correct (always debateable) then the Red Card or not dispute is irrelevant as he got it for a 2nd Yellow!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

DickyP wrote:If the report I read is correct (always debateable) then the Red Card or not dispute is irrelevant as he got it for a 2nd Yellow!
The report was wrong - it was a straight red as can be seen in te video posted by Tigerbeat
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

IMO he knew what he was doing.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:IMO he knew what he was doing.
Agreed. Flood had already been given a yellow card after 24 minutes. However, this was a straight red offence and rightly so. The Brive 20 (Pejoine I think) was hit by Flood's knees within a second of him going to ground which prevented him from starting to roll away. Flood then stepped over him and caught him in the face with a boot.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

chewbacca wrote:If Brive player had rolled away then he wouldn't have got shoed A few years ago it would have been the norm.

Still should be IMO!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's not ok to kick someone in the head on a rugby pitch any more.

Definite red card.

It's all well and good trotting out the "back in the good old days when men were men" nonsense, but would you say the same thing if your son or daughter lost an eye from being given a good rucking to the face?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

In Flood's defence, the Brive player was making no attempt whatsoever so remove himself from the ruck thus preventing the quick release of the ball and was subsequently and rightly rucked out of the way. Do we know for sure that Flood's boot made contact with the face? No, only that the player was holding his face immediately after. Play-acting to win a penalty? Maybe, but we'll never know. Is it possible that the knee in the back was sufficiently bad to prevent him from rolling away? Debatable. Too many ifs.
However, now knowing that Flood had copped a yellow earlier in the game, another misdemeanour evidently swayed the judgement of the ref.
I still say it's tough on Toby!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Poor reffing aside it's a cut and dry red card. The ref should have sanctioned the Brive player but as soon as Flood's rucking made contact with the head it's a red card. Replays are fairly clear on the contact.

Mitigation for Toby will be that it's reckless rather than deliberate.