Is Matt O'Connor coming back?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is Matt O'Connor coming back?

Post by sammy »

The Mercury say he's a "strong favourite" to lead Tigers next season. http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/matt- ... story.html
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Matt O'Connor coming back?

Post by Scott1 »

Please God no!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Scott1 wrote:Please God no!!!
+1

Poor at Tigers and leinster - why would he even be considered? Also he's a backs coach, we need a forwards coach.
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Soggypitch wrote:
Scott1 wrote:Please God no!!!
+1

Poor at Tigers and leinster - why would he even be considered? Also he's a backs coach, we need a forwards coach.

Not sure how having a backs DOR stops us from also signing a forwards coach?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hopefully it's lazy journalism! Why hire a crack consultancy team if you're just gonna go for MOC?! Makes no sense to me,if we do have him back it will tell me all I need to know about the club!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hopefully not!

This subject is really annoying me now! The names mentioned just aren't good enough!

Soggypitch, it doesn't matter what position the DOR used to play. If he is a former back then he will need to employ a forwards coach.
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ellis9 wrote:Hopefully not!

This subject is really annoying me now! The names just aren't good enough!

Soggypitch, it doesn't matter what position the DOR used to play. If he is a former back then he will need to employ a forwards coach.
I'm trying to save the club some money...if we can get a DoR who is also a top forwards coach there would be no need to employ an additional forwards coach. eg. Rob Baxter.
Soggypitch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ELLis 9, it may be annoying you but it is a name in the mix. MOC did have a successful time at Tigers and left of his own choice to join Leinster.
Not sure that he would be the right choice in my opinion, but he has a proven record at Tigers.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Id rather have Jake White any day of the week!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Scott1 wrote:Hopefully it's lazy journalism! Why hire a crack consultancy team if you're just gonna go for MOC?! Makes no sense to me,if we do have him back it will tell me all I need to know about the club!
Consultancy = Give me your watch & I'll tell you the time for a fee ( and you will finish up knowing what you knew anyway)

Which is that MOC should not be let anywhere near this parish.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tigerbeat, none of the names have been good enough though!
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote:Hopefully it's lazy journalism! Why hire a crack consultancy team if you're just gonna go for MOC?! Makes no sense to me,if we do have him back it will tell me all I need to know about the club!
Dear Scott, while we may differ on some issues, we are 100% on this one. To have a coach I consider to be mediocre back as DOR will tell me the BoD are braindead and the club is sailing blithely up the brown creek.
I do not agree with Tigerbeat, as my eyes and the quality of play told me otherwise (ad nauseam from me at the time, sorry)and IMO we succeeded because we had some darn good players who knew to play what was in front of them when the tactics were rubbish (hence the famous post Chiefs meeting and episodes of Flood changing tactics on the park).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Where has this agenda that he was poor for us come from? When he left us we were champions. We've not got to a final since. The one criticism leveled at him was that the play made the defence a bit loose, but to say he was poor is completely disingenuous. He left because he was approached to take a rather prestigious role.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

My rugby criticism was that our playbook was one-dimensional and inflexible (my posts must be archived somewhere!). He was not the only architect of our success BTW, indeed I credit the players we had at the time as being the main factor, not to mention other coaches and the DOR.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

jgriffin wrote:My rugby criticism was that our playbook was one-dimensional and inflexible (my posts must be archived somewhere!). He was not the only architect of our success BTW, indeed I credit the players we had at the time as being the main factor, not to mention other coaches and the DOR.
Undoubtedly. Far more to it than just O'Connor.

But Cockers rated him highly for a reason. Leinster approached him for a reason. He's good - and his departure coincided with the end of our era of dominance.