Fly Halves for next season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

brooksey845

Re: Fly Halves for next season

Post by brooksey845 »

How about Ryan Mills at Worcester? Looked very solid past few weeks for Worcester in the Fly Half shirt big boot, touch not afraid to get stuck in. Not really likely to be called up by EJ.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

brooksey845 wrote:How about Ryan Mills at Worcester? Looked very solid past few weeks for Worcester in the Fly Half shirt big boot, touch not afraid to get stuck in. Not really likely to be called up by EJ.
Would suggest he'll stay at Worcester after this afternoons result
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

brooksey845 wrote:How about Ryan Mills at Worcester? Looked very solid past few weeks for Worcester in the Fly Half shirt big boot, touch not afraid to get stuck in. Not really likely to be called up by EJ.
The other Worcester 10, Jamie Shillcock - who IIRC played at 15 when they visited WR - would be a good punt. Kicks goals too and apparently can cover 9. He will have just turned 20 at the start of next season, Eng U20 international, Premiership and European experience.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Journeymen are ok as long as they do the job they are bought for, problem is over the last 18 months or so the journeymen that we have brought in have performed way below the usual standard of what we fans expect from a Tiger. i.e. True grit!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

This would have been a decent one to get, I think he would have preferred to come to us if asked

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/39178274
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

We shold ask Jeremy Staunton if he wants to come back from retirement afterall he seems to have the de rigeur sole qualification that a lot of people demand ie an ex Tiger.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a young kiwi, maybe a 2nd string for one of the super 15 franchises. There was a youngster who started for the Crusaders this weekend, instead of Sopawanga, who would be ideal. Can't remember his name, then again I can barely remember mine :smt027
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it was a young kiwi, maybe a 2nd string for one of the super 15 franchises. There was a youngster who started for the Crusaders this weekend, instead of Sopawanga, who would be ideal. Can't remember his name, then again I can barely remember mine :smt027
The problem with young up and coming talent is they want to stay at home to break into the national side, that's why someone like Madigan would have been ideal. In my humble opinion
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It has been reported that Madigan is being paid an unbelievable amount of money. Given that whoever we are signing is back up to Ford, why would we spend that much?

Incidentally, he's decided that he's cool with playing in the Championship for at least a year because he's going to be paid handsomely. Doesn't strike me as the kind of desire we'd want coming as a back up 10 to me.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote:
Mark62 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it was a young kiwi, maybe a 2nd string for one of the super 15 franchises. There was a youngster who started for the Crusaders this weekend, instead of Sopawanga, who would be ideal. Can't remember his name, then again I can barely remember mine :smt027
The problem with young up and coming talent is they want to stay at home to break into the national side, that's why someone like Madigan would have been ideal. In my humble opinion
This is all purely hypothetical, but such as the example I've quoted is no where near the All Blacks but still a prodigious talent. It may be seen as an opportunity for development.

Barrett will be around for a few years yet and apparently he isn't even the best of the brothers :smt027
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Of course in all this argument about an understudy to Ford, we are forgetting that we already have an able deputy on our books, judging from his performance in the fiendly against Ospreys when he played in that position, namely Sam Harrison.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Behave noddy lol,and who will be playing SH when BY is away?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Scott 1 why Kitto of course!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kitty is a poor SH,third choice at best and his contract extension screams of accepting mediocrity as do another couple too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:
This is all purely hypothetical, but such as the example I've quoted is no where near the All Blacks but still a prodigious talent. It may be seen as an opportunity for development.

Barrett will be around for a few years yet and apparently he isn't even the best of the brothers :smt027
Yeah but one brother is a lock and the other a utility back. I think he's the only flyhalf in the family. The young understudy he has at the Hurricanes, Black, looks to be one with potential.

If the rumours are true and we've signed wing/15 Jonah Holmes from Yorkshire (Leeds) then someone like Ryan Mills who can play 10/12 and can kick would be fairly ideal. Heathcote would be an able understudy as well should he want to get away from sitting in the stands.