No Championship play-offs for three seasons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BeeJ

No Championship play-offs for three seasons

Post by BeeJ »

According to the Aviva site here.

As long as the top team meets the required criteria, it will be automatically promoted. Now all we need to do is get rid of the play-offs in the Premiership.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: No Championship play-offs for three seasons

Post by strawclearer »

BeeJ wrote:According to the Aviva site here.

As long as the top team meets the required criteria, it will be automatically promoted. Now all we need to do is get rid of the play-offs in the Premiership.
Good decision to scrap play-offs but now I'd have the Championship winners play off against the Premiership bottom Club for a place in the Prem. It could be 'home & away' or a one-off game at a neutral venue.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Play offs are just cash cows, get rid of them all, sorry straw clearer, but what you propose is just ring fencing in disguise. Championship sides do not get Premiership resources so their player squad is smaller and generally less strong.
Once the RFU actually support rugby and help the national leagues grow and attract some press and sponsorship, then the game can and will grow.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

For clarity, 3 season trial starts next season. :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

An overdue decision. But they won't touch the Prem play offs, quite rightly imo.
Soggypitch
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

tigerburnie wrote:Play offs are just cash cows, get rid of them all, sorry straw clearer, but what you propose is just ring fencing in disguise. Championship sides do not get Premiership resources so their player squad is smaller and generally less strong.
Once the RFU actually support rugby and help the national leagues grow and attract some press and sponsorship, then the game can and will grow.
Not strictly correct as Championship sides do not have to adhere to the, extremely rigorously and strictly enforced :smt003 , salary cap. Therefore well sponsored clubs ( read 'bankrolled by sugar-daddies' ) - Bristol for example, had huge resources whilst in the Championship but were not allowed to bring them with them to the Premiership when they got promoted.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Will this help Tigers to get promoted back to the Premiership in 2019?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt039 Bristol
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Sorry BeeJ I think it would be a retrograde step to scrap the play offs in the Premiership. I have long been of the opinion that the top championship club should be automatically promoted, but I do think that the second, third and fourth teams
in the Championship and the team that finishes 11th in the premiership should go into a play off system and the winner be promoted to the premiership. Trouble is that that will never happen as too many of even the stronger premiership clubs would be dead set against it just in case they suffer a bad season amd find themselves struggling.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Noddy555 wrote:Sorry BeeJ I think it would be a retrograde step to scrap the play offs in the Premiership.
Why? What are your reasons? As Tigerburnie quite rightly said, play-offs are nothing more than cash cows.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Noddy555 wrote:Sorry BeeJ I think it would be a retrograde step to scrap the play offs in the Premiership. I have long been of the opinion that the top championship club should be automatically promoted, but I do think that the second, third and fourth teams
in the Championship and the team that finishes 11th in the premiership should go into a play off system and the winner be promoted to the premiership. Trouble is that that will never happen as too many of even the stronger premiership clubs would be dead set against it just in case they suffer a bad season amd find themselves struggling.
But why?

Why should the team that finished 4th in the league have an equal chance of promotion to the teams that finished higher in the league?
The league is a meritocracy the best team over the season finishes top, only they should be promoted. Based on the experience over the last 10 years the evidence would suggest that the gulf between Championship and Premiership is such that teams lower down have virtually negligible chance of surviving in the premiership.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

drc_007 wrote:Why should the team that finished 4th in the league have an equal chance of promotion to the teams that finished higher in the league?
The league is a meritocracy the best team over the season finishes top, only they should be promoted. Based on the experience over the last 10 years the evidence would suggest that the gulf between Championship and Premiership is such that teams lower down have virtually negligible chance of surviving in the premiership.
What he said. :smt023
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It used to be bottom club relegated, top club promoted and a play off between the Premiership second bottom and the Championship second top for a place in the top division although I don't think the second place team ever won. I am not certain they were called Premiership and Championship at the time. It was discontinued because for teams in the lower division even if they had the quality players they had not had the season long experience of playing at the higher level and were therefore disadvantaged. Personally I would like to see a Premiership one and two each of fourteen teams with an automatic two up and two down. Both divisions to be full time professional and initial make-up of Prem 2 would be of teams bidding for a place based on their current league standing, ambition, financial resources and ground criteria.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Sorry Beej and drc_7 cash cows?What the hell is wrong with wanting more money into the coffers of the game, you both need to get your heads out of the sand and face reality, despite whether you like it or not money is the lubricant that enables the professional game to survive.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:Sorry Beej and drc_7 cash cows?What the hell is wrong with wanting more money into the coffers of the game, you both need to get your heads out of the sand and face reality, despite whether you like it or not money is the lubricant that enables the professional game to survive.
Sorry Neil Noddy but the Championship playoffs are really a cash cow, I do not like the playoffs in any division as the pure supporter is milked for more of his hard earned money. My exwife was a cashcow & drove a qashqai (cashcow!) :smt042
We all realise that your first in - last out at the Try Line Club "lubricates the coffers" and surely Tigers are appreciative of your sponsorship but I wish that monies collected really went into development of the game not the Fatcats in Blazers.