Exeter Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Exeter Chiefs

Post by Soggypitch »

So RL is stating Slater and Roberts out, Cilliers 50/50.

Presumably Rizzo will be back, so possible team;

1. Genge
2.Youngs
3. Bateman
4.Barrow
5.Fitzgerald
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Hamilton
9. Harrison
10. Burns
11. JPP
12. Mermoz
13. Betham
14. Thompstone
15. Veaniu

Rizzo, McGuigan, Betts, Kitto, Williams, McCaffrey, Croft, Tait.

Reckon that squad stand a good chance!
Soggypitch
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by strawclearer »

Good shout I think Soggy - still see McGuigan as weak atm and, for me, Betham is a winger but 'needs must'.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Soggypitch wrote:So RL is stating Slater and Roberts out, Cilliers 50/50.

1. Genge
2.Youngs
3. Bateman
4.Barrow
5.Fitzgerald
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Hamilton
9. Harrison
10. Burns
11. JPP
12. Mermoz
13. Betham
14. Thompstone
15. Veaniu

I would prefer Owen Williams in the centre and Betham on the bench wing replacement. Not sure of the choice of young Betts but we are desperate for props if Cilliers is now out.
Referee - Matthew Carley with Ass Tim Wigglesworth! & Anthony Woodthorpe and TMO Graham Hughes in the BT truck. Don't twist an ankle Carley please.
- http://www.planetrugby.com/news/match-o ... march-5-2/
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Genge would be a great shout to help us disrupt them in the scrum and around the fringes, a player I have high hopes for.
Solid squad choices though
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

tigerburnie wrote:Genge would be a great shout to help us disrupt them in the scrum and around the fringes, a player I have high hopes for.
Solid squad choices though
He's in my team No.1 TB!
Soggypitch
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

wormus wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:So RL is stating Slater and Roberts out, Cilliers 50/50.

1. Genge
2.Youngs
3. Bateman
4.Barrow
5.Fitzgerald
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Hamilton
9. Harrison
10. Burns
11. JPP
12. Mermoz
13. Betham
14. Thompstone
15. Veaniu

I would prefer Owen Williams in the centre and Betham on the bench wing replacement. Not sure of the choice of young Betts but we are desperate for props if Cilliers is now out.
Referee - Matthew Carley with Ass Tim Wigglesworth! & Anthony Woodthorpe and TMO Graham Hughes in the BT truck. Don't twist an ankle Carley please.
- http://www.planetrugby.com/news/match-o ... march-5-2/
Betts looks like a cracking prospect if you ask me. He's young and unpolished but has some dog about him and he's strong as a bull in contact. Exactly what a young prop should be made of.

I'd certainly rather Betts be getting game time than Brugnara who's progress stalled pretty suddenly due to his weak scrummaging. It wouldn't surprise me if he headed back to an Italian side now that O'Shea is in charge and aware of young Italian players in the Prem - similar to Pasquali.

Cilliers form has improved considerably now that he's found some fitness and game time with Cole away. It will be a shame if he's unavailable. His scrummaging has been better every game recently which is exactly what we need from a back-up tight head.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think Betham has been better at 13 for us although he's been poor in both positions of late. Hope we've been drilling maul defence all week or this could get messy!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Ellis Genge and Mike Williams released by England.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

With Mike Williams already released I'd be tempted to put him in the row with Barrow then have Crofty at 6 to target the line-out in attack and defence.

I can't see it happening but I'd be more confident in getting good line-out ball, disrupting theirs and defending the Chiefs maul with Croft in the side.

It's a bad game to have both Slater and Kitch unavailable for.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Can't understand all this chatter about Betham on the wing, he has stated his favourite position is No. 13 i.e. outside centre and he is far more effective there than stuck out on the wing. He had a good game against Quins so why change anything from last week? In fact the only change I would make is at No.8 as I see Hamilton more suited to Exeters style of play as he is fitter and faster than McCaffrey.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Noddy555 wrote:Can't understand all this chatter about Betham on the wing,
He came to us predominantly as a winger, maybe that's why people chatter about him playing on the wing.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote:With Mike Williams already released I'd be tempted to put him in the row with Barrow then have Crofty at 6 to target the line-out in attack and defence.

I can't see it happening but I'd be more confident in getting good line-out ball, disrupting theirs and defending the Chiefs maul with Croft in the side.

I don't get this playing Mike Williams in the row, he is a 6 who can be used to cover the row if necessary, and why are we missing Slater and Kitchener when our 2 best 2nd rows are Barrow and Fitz, who has been top of the optima stats for the past couple of weeks
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Bateman
4. Barrow
5. Fitzgerald
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Hamilton
9. Harrison
10. Burns
11. JPP
12. Mermoz
13. Betham
14. Thompstone
15. Veaniu

McGuigan/Thacker, Rizzo, Betts, Wells, McCaffrey, Kitto, Williams, Tait/Worth/Brady
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote:
ABClub wrote:With Mike Williams already released I'd be tempted to put him in the row with Barrow then have Crofty at 6 to target the line-out in attack and defence.

I don't get this playing Mike Williams in the row, he is a 6 who can be used to cover the row if necessary, and why are we missing Slater and Kitchener when our 2 best 2nd rows are Barrow and Fitz, who has been top of the optima stats for the past couple of weeks
We are missing Slater and Kitch because they are our two best line-out callers which is a huge battle against Exeter. They are also both stronger in maul defence than Fitz.

I rate Fitz and I was happy to see him re-sign, but he's not as strong a jumper, caller or mauler as Slater or Kitchener.

Croft would improve the side in that area so I'd happily see him start against Exeter. After that I simply think Williams is one of our best forwards so would rather start him in the row than bench him. Barrow and Williams would be a brutal lock partnership to counter Chiefs physicality and Croft an excellent man to pressure Parling in the line-out.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:Can't understand all this chatter about Betham on the wing, he has stated his favourite position is No. 13 i.e. outside centre and he is far more effective there than stuck out on the wing.
Well his Tigers Senior Squad details state he is a winger even though he plays centre,but with Thompstone & JPP he will struggle to gain a start on the wing with those two fit & on form, bench filler or injury replacement for Roberts etc.
- http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/le ... ef=dynamic