Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by RagingBull »

Hinckley Bob wrote:I am a little concerned about the lack of re-signing announcements from the club, albeit I do not know who is out of contract this year. Can anyone shed any light?
We have made what 7/8 re-signings so far and 1 new signing.

More will prob be announced in the next 2 weeks a few have already signed 100% but Tigers like to make a day out of these things.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

players Out contract still I think are
1) Rizzo, Genge, Brugnara
2) Thacker
3) Mulipola (Think)
6) Croft (Think)
8) McCaffrey (Think)
9) Harrison (think)
14) Catchpole (Think)
15) Tait

some big questions on some of those players (a couple of which are on a fair bit of cap)
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

RagingBull wrote:players Out contract still I think are
2) Thacker
3) Mulipola (Think)
6) Croft (Think)
8) McCaffrey (Think)
9) Harrison (think)
14) Catchpole (Think)
15) Tait

some big questions on some of those players (a couple of which are on a fair bit of cap)
I would be disappointed to lose Rizzo, Genge, Thacker, McCaffrey or Harrison out of those and still have a soft spot for Croft (although probably expensive as back-up).
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Rizzo has to stay. He's a couple of months older than me and I simply refuse to accept that after a lifetime of following the team there's a situation looming that I'm older than the entire team.

I need another year to prepare for that.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

kornboy130 wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote: There could not be a better example of the application of pure logic (severity has nothing to do with logic). You are saying that just because something is better than what came before, it is beyond criticism. I gave an example (extreme, I'll give you) where applying the logic of your argument is obviously a load of old...

To make a small alteration to your words, purely in terms of the subjects, not the logic:

but to chastise Hitler in any capacity for making things worse shows how easy it is to forget the days of the Wiemar Republic.
Well that depends on whether you view the severity to affect the validity - which I'd suggest it does. My initial point on the severity stands - and in any event we are only having this discussion because you took offence that I was inferring you had a victim complex because of the way my post was worded - which is fair enough as it wasn't at all clear.

What I am saying (rather than what you're saying I'm saying) is that 30 mins less of midweek rugby coverage is not worth the relative complaint when you consider how much BT invest in the game - in my opinion. Clearly yours differs and that's fine.

Crikey, this is borderline intellectually stimulating - unusual on here these days.

Anyway to steer us back on topic - this year we seem to be experiencing a very small amount of player churn - Williams and Burns out are two big losses but typically we've been in the region of 8 or so players out/in where as currently we look like we're going to be more around the 4 mark this season - signs of a settled squad do we think?
Re BT (briefly), are we on the path to "death by a thousand cuts"? That is my thought.

Re transfers out, Balmain and Roberts also confirmed, so a minimum of 4. Last year was probably inflated by WC" top-ups".
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Hinckley Bob wrote:
2) Thacker
3) Mulipola (Think)
6) Croft (Think)
8) McCaffrey (Think)
9) Harrison (think)
14) Catchpole (Think)
15) Tait

I would be disappointed to lose Rizzo, Genge, Thacker, McCaffrey or Harrison out of those and still have a soft spot for Croft (although probably expensive as back-up).
My list of 'don't lose' would be Rizzo, Genge, Locky and Shazam above all.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn't want to see Catchpole go aswell TBH.

Be interesting to see what happens to the senior academy players
Only Worth has really stood out, White, Simmons, Thacker and Betts seem promising. Yawayawa another talent but isn't getting game time here (although he is on loan for the season and currently injured).

The rest not sold on if I'm being brutal.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull - Won't Harry Wells be on a 1 year deal? If so he deserves an extension.

Must keep - Genge, Harry T, Wells?, Locky, Shazam, Catchpole

Keep for the right price - Rizzo, Mulipola, Croft

Promote from development squad to first team squad - Worth, Betts

Hills, Maksymiw, Simmons, White, C Thacker and Yawayawa are players to keep involved but could do with dual registration contracts so they play enough to keep developing. The A-league is a joke realistically and can't offer them that.

There are a few other development squad players such as the Olowofela twins who are only 18 so have time to progress and should stay involved. I'm skeptical that Fred Jnr will develop the stamina to play Prem rugby but again he has time on his side to improve.

Tom Hardwick deserves promoting from the academy squad to development squad.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I would like to see Croft stay, but on a pay as you play deal as he has missed so much over the last few seasons and he would command a good chunk of the cap being at International cap and Lion, if he could stay injury free for a season and prove he is worth a better contract then all well and good as in my opinion he has three seasons left in him in the top flight. :smt002
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Cagey Tiger wrote:This season's usual mucking about, with Rugby Tonight on Wednesdays except for Champions League weeks when we get Rugby Tonight Extra. BT's way of spending less on Rugby. Move RT from Monday's where it didn't clash with anything, to Wednesday's, where it clashes with CL,and replace it with RTE. Plus stop RTE on Thursdays. So instead of 1.5 hours of RT and 0.5 hours of RTE every week, we just get one or the other.
How much do you think this saves? And how does it compare related to the new TV deal that is apparently worth far in excess of the previous £30m+ per year in addition to the various other BT rugby sponsorship deals?

Would the games all start on a Saturday at 3pm prompt if Adolf was in charge?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

h's dad wrote: Would the games all start on a Saturday at 3pm prompt if Adolf was in charge?
I thought it was Mussolini who made the games run on time.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

2) Thacker
3) Mulipola (Think)
6) Croft (Think)
8) McCaffrey (Think)
9) Harrison (think)
14) Catchpole (Think)
15) Tait

McCaffrey is with us for another year. Harrison will also be here next season. Rizzo wants to be but not yet signed- that's a wait and see.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
h's dad wrote: Would the games all start on a Saturday at 3pm prompt if Adolf was in charge?
I thought it was Mussolini who made the games run on time.
Don't think either of them deserve as much credit for this as they get. We can be sure that the pitches wouldn't be adequately prepared for a harsh winter.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Lammy wrote:
2) Thacker
3) Mulipola (Think)
6) Croft (Think)
8) McCaffrey (Think)
9) Harrison (think)
14) Catchpole (Think)
15) Tait

McCaffrey is with us for another year. Harrison will also be here next season. Rizzo wants to be but not yet signed- that's a wait and see.
Any source for those out of interest Lammy?

All 3 would be good news. Rizzo re-signing could allow Mulipola to be used as second choice TH and Cilliers as 3rd choice. That in turn could open up the option of Bateman's bulk at hooker against bigger packs. His throwing is terrible but his scrummaging and work around the park good - Harry at 7 and throwing in anyone?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

h's dad wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:This season's usual mucking about, with Rugby Tonight on Wednesdays except for Champions League weeks when we get Rugby Tonight Extra. BT's way of spending less on Rugby. Move RT from Monday's where it didn't clash with anything, to Wednesday's, where it clashes with CL,and replace it with RTE. Plus stop RTE on Thursdays. So instead of 1.5 hours of RT and 0.5 hours of RTE every week, we just get one or the other.
How much do you think this saves? And how does it compare related to the new TV deal that is apparently worth far in excess of the previous £30m+ per year in addition to the various other BT rugby sponsorship deals?

Would the games all start on a Saturday at 3pm prompt if Adolf was in charge?
See my answer to Kornboy130, 5 posts above yours.