Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Owen Farrell

Post by Soggypitch »

Excellent article in today's DT;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... gland-cap/

He has fantastic leadership qualities, is a brilliant kicker, his play making has improved hugely and so has his temperament.

Set to be England's most important player for the next 6 years (to include the WC's in 2019/23) if he remains largely injury free. IMO.

There's only one problem; he plays most of his rugby in black, not green, red and white!!
Soggypitch
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by chewbacca »

Big fan. He is and will remain a hugely influential player for England, perhaps the most influential. I'd have him at Tigers in an instant
I'm not cynical just experienced
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I didn't rate him, but he is improving every game though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

I was happy to chastise his selection earlier in his career as I felt he lacked attacking impetus - but my how he's developed his game. He is very much one of the premier 10/12s in the world and is a big reason why watching England is a joy again.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

tigerburnie wrote:I didn't rate him, but he is improving every game though.
+1, I think he has worked really hard on his game. Also I think he's grown up a lot since his dad moved on both from Sarries and latterly the England set up.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

fentiger wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:I didn't rate him, but he is improving every game though.
+1, I think he has worked really hard on his game. Also I think he's grown up a lot since his dad moved on both from Sarries and latterly the England set up.
I'm not sure those two things are related, I think that he has just developed with age and experience. His attacking game started to improve ever since he went on the Lions tour to Australia.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I agree with the gist of what all are saying. I thought that Farrell was over-hyped initially, but he has come on. Still prone to occasionally getting involved in an unnecessary 'bit of aggro', but generally his overall game has improved.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think Gatland will have serious questions to answer if he doesn't select Farrell in his Lions squad. Ok maybe he is not a natural No.12 and yes he is a conversion from fly half, but what a player.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Noddy555 wrote:I think Gatland will have serious questions to answer if he doesn't select Farrell in his Lions squad. Ok maybe he is not a natural No.12 and yes he is a conversion from fly half, but what a player.
Gatland doesn't give a hoot about public opinion or sentiment: ask BOD...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Gatland's default is Wales, failing that Ireland, failing that.....I expect Fazlet to be 50/50 frankly. And I do not expect Gatland to take a lot of English players, he and EJ have form.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Overrated. There's a question as to whether he or Ford should be playing 10 for England but personally I don't rate him that much at 12. He's just playing as a second 10 with 12 on his back. For me although he can throw a good pass he doesn't have the ability to draw a defender or make a decent line break and as a result England haven't had much of an attacking threat in the 6N
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'd agree with those comments about his improvement in his temperament, interesting article about the influence Jonny Wilkinson has had on him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39056466
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

jgriffin wrote:Gatland's default is Wales, failing that Ireland, failing that.....I expect Fazlet to be 50/50 frankly. And I do not expect Gatland to take a lot of English players, he and EJ have form.
I know what you mean and I'm no fan of Gatland, but Farrell went on the last Lions tour and he's twice the player now. Barring injury he will definitely be on the plane, whether he makes the starting 15 is another matter....

I also think if England win the 6N's or even better the Grand Slam then Gat will find it very difficult not to take a lot of English players, there would be an outcry otherwise.

Personally I hope Robshaw makes it, under rated and unlucky with his recent injury after being England's best forward in the autumn.
Soggypitch
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Soggypitch wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Gatland's default is Wales, failing that Ireland, failing that.....I expect Fazlet to be 50/50 frankly. And I do not expect Gatland to take a lot of English players, he and EJ have form.
I know what you mean and I'm no fan of Gatland, but Farrell went on the last Lions tour and he's twice the player now. Barring injury he will definitely be on the plane, whether he makes the starting 15 is another matter....

I also think if England win the 6N's or even better the Grand Slam then Gat will find it very difficult not to take a lot of English players, there would be an outcry otherwise.

Personally I hope Robshaw makes it, under rated and unlucky with his recent injury after being England's best forward in the autumn.
I'm hoping that Gatland's overwhelming desire to win in NZ overtones any bias. As for Robshaw, the back 5 of the pack is the most competitive I've ever known. There will be outstanding players who don't make the tour.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

G.K wrote:Overrated. There's a question as to whether he or Ford should be playing 10 for England but personally I don't rate him that much at 12. He's just playing as a second 10 with 12 on his back. For me although he can throw a good pass he doesn't have the ability to draw a defender or make a decent line break and as a result England haven't had much of an attacking threat in the 6N
I'm surprised! It has been 4 hours since you posted this and no one has called you an idiot or clueless like they do when I say Farrell isn't very good.