DoR

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: DoR

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote:Oh of course on the academy side and 7s team with Deacon,Allen etc but for the first team it should be the DOR choice.
On that basis, one wonders whether the next Edinburgh Coach might be seeking to 'poach' ex-Associates?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's a great point straw! Maybe he's just waiting for the dust to clear so he can pick them off? I don't think he would take Mauger though haha.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

ellis9 wrote:I am slightly nervous and worried about who we will appoint. I have been since Cockers was sacked and all the different names were mentioned. I was underwhelmed by all of them. The only one I was happy with was Johnno but he ruled himself out. I really hope Tigers have managed to offer Exeter enough money and persuaded/are persuading Rob Baxter that he is ready to take the top job at Welford Road.
Agreed that there is much to admire about Baxter and what he has achieved. However, he surely has to be prime English candidate for the England job once EJ has finished at the next RWC (not long now) so why move 'temporarily' now ? Secondly, if we are just going to prise another coach away with a pile of riches then please no more comments from anyone about 'going down the football route' - wed've already gone !
bageo
Tiger Cub

Post by bageo »

strawclearer wrote:
Rykard wrote:does anyone know what a dor actually does?

Every club seems to be slightly different. I for one would prefer to leave the coaches coaching if that's what they're best at... and dor as a conduit between coaches and board...

thoughts?
DoR wears a suit; Coach wears a tracksuit!
Did the board suddenly realise that the precious DoR never wore a suit!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Blimey, would you call Cockers 'precious' to his face?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Would be totally bewildered if Baxter moved. The only reason he would is Tony 'Il Duce' Rowe falling out with him, and the chances are that influential locals with $$$ may have a say, Rowe is not a sugar daddy.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote:Ellis9 I'm saying this as a joke so don't get upset but give yourself a slap around the face mate lol,Baxter is never gonna leave Exeter for here lol and it's ridiculous even to think it!
Why not?
tigercaspian wrote:
ellis9 wrote:I am slightly nervous and worried about who we will appoint. I have been since Cockers was sacked and all the different names were mentioned. I was underwhelmed by all of them. The only one I was happy with was Johnno but he ruled himself out. I really hope Tigers have managed to offer Exeter enough money and persuaded/are persuading Rob Baxter that he is ready to take the top job at Welford Road.
Agreed that there is much to admire about Baxter and what he has achieved. However, he surely has to be prime English candidate for the England job once EJ has finished at the next RWC (not long now) so why move 'temporarily' now ? Secondly, if we are just going to prise another coach away with a pile of riches then please no more comments from anyone about 'going down the football route' - wed've already gone !
He may want/need to prove that he can handle the pressures of coaching at a club that demands success consistently, like England do. Exeter aren't that club yet. Leicester are.
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Baxter and his brother still run the family farm near Exe, can't see him moving to another club, as others have said likely England HC candidate after the next RWC!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Vern Cotter, an excellent organiser, leaves Scotland at the end of the season, coached Clermont, a similar club in its style and atmosphere to Tigers, and has significantly improved Scotland, whose players don't want to see him go.
Valhalla I am coming!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote:Vern Cotter, an excellent organiser, leaves Scotland at the end of the season, coached Clermont, a similar club in its style and atmosphere to Tigers, and has significantly improved Scotland, whose players don't want to see him go.
In June 2017, he will return to France, becoming the head coach of Montpellier, having been told the Scottish Rugby Union will not renew his contract after the 2017 Six Nations Championship.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Are there no rumours doing the rounds as to who the likely candidates are?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well there's Ford and Lancaster that have been mentioned (neither inspires me as being the right choice) plus whichever SH coach hasn't got a job at the moment.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

G.K wrote:Well there's Ford and Lancaster that have been mentioned (neither inspires me as being the right choice) plus whichever SH coach hasn't got a job at the moment.
Lancaster has extended his stay with Leinster but there's always room for another Ford on the M1..........
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

All this talk of appointing a director of rugby: why not see how Mauger does? If we play well v Quins despite still having too many players out; then beat Exeter and it would show the players have bought into "the Mauger Way". Then just tweak the coaching set up: line out coach! Scrum coach Boris, forwards' coach, Louis Deacon etc. I see no-one with any real pedigree available and believe it is time for Mauger to be DOR supported by Brad Thorn. First though is Quins and typical we get Arizona fit only to be chosen by Italy! Our front row will struggle.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rugby tonight Extra had short interview with Simon Cohen and Mauger; no real information forthcoming. "Most clubs have 4 or 5 on a list", said SC, "Yes, AM is in possession." AM said he would work under someone else if that was the right person. AM was ambiguous, I thought, saying he wanted to finish what he'd started which seems to inply keeping a hands on role rather than being a more distant DOR but throwing his hat in for DOR's job.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina