Will Eddie Jones stick or twist?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Will Eddie Jones stick or twist?

Post by Chobbsy »

I think he may make one or two changes, loose head and 8 but I can't see more changes than that, thoughts?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BeeJ

Re: Will Eddie Jones stick or twist?

Post by BeeJ »

Mako put in a 70 minute shift on Friday at Wuzza and appears to have come through it unscathed. I'd be inclined to start with Marler with Mako on the bench.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Would not be surprised if Mike Brown is stood down and Watson included
Haskell to start
Mako on the bench
Joseph has also looked lacklustre.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

drc_007 wrote:Would not be surprised if Mike Brown is stood down and Watson included
Haskell to start
Mako on the bench
Joseph has also looked lacklustre.
I totally agree about Joseph he just isn't firing, made good to Start with Ben T
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I think I read an interview with Jones in which he was unequivocal about making a number of changes for Italy. It won't be half the team, but I would expect to see Mako on the bench, George and Haskell starting and changes to the back three.

May even see 11/13/14/15 of Nowell, Daly, May and Watson. Which would offer some real pace and be a chance to look at alternatives in the 13 and 15 positions which may be nailed on for Joseph and Brown for now, but with neither player in their best form.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Obviously Jamie George is the big call - I think it is now generally accepted by everyone, including Eddie, that he's the better player but I can understand the desire not to change things too drastically...and dropping your captain is quite full on.

I'd agree with Haskell starting, and also with Watson coming in for Brown (although I've read that his hamstring still isn't quite right). Would prefer to see Daly at full back.

The issue I'd have with Te'o coming in for JJ - and the same applies for the idea of Care coming in for Youngs - is that, although he has been very impressive, he has been playing off almost exclusively front foot ball against a tiring side when he has entered the fray. Joseph has had next to no space to work in - particularly against France - and that's not down to him. I'd give him 50 minutes to see how sharp he is when given (hopefully) front foot ball, which allows for a more direct comparison with Te'o.

I'd love to see Genge on the bench as well. What an animal. That carry in the second half on Bristol was awesome to watch. Imagine seeing him and Sinckler trotting onto the pitch 60 minutes in!!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

iceman_19 wrote:Would prefer to see Daly at full back.
:smt023 I think he'd bring much more to us in attack - much like Veainu does for Tigers
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Lancaster killed any interest I had in England and the appointment of Jones did nothing to change that. However, credit to Eddie, with a group of players , none of whom you'd describe as world class, he has them playing and thinking well above the sum of the individual parts.
Enjoyed their games so far(winning does help)and whilst not exactly excited, I look forward to what he does against Italy, does he keep honing his 23 or does he tinker is the question. The Scots and Irish will be willing to die to beat this side, so it will get tougher.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I doubt if Watson will be fit enough to start.

I think we may well see Farrell at 10, Teo 12 and Daly 13. Haskell also to start but I think Eddie may just stick with Dylan to start, also Maku on the bench.

Should be interesting.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I'd say that if George does start then it will be only for one game, regardless of performance. Jones will want to back his captain and Dylan will be back in the front row for Scotland and Ireland games.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

D Telegraph has a possibility of Alex Lozowski at 15.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mako should be given another AP game. He doesn't need to be rushed back against Italy, even if he trains with the squad. Much as I'd like Genge to be at the Stoop on Friday, this is a rare opportunity to blood one or two new players into the 6N and outside of the summer tours and would like to see him on the bench.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Mako should be given another AP game. He doesn't need to be rushed back against Italy, even if he trains with the squad. Much as I'd like Genge to be at the Stoop on Friday, this is a rare opportunity to blood one or two new players into the 6N and outside of the summer tours and would like to see him on the bench.
Mako did 70 minutes against Gloucester and EJ will want him back involved asap. He will be on the bench with Marler starting.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mark62 wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Mako should be given another AP game. He doesn't need to be rushed back against Italy, even if he trains with the squad. Much as I'd like Genge to be at the Stoop on Friday, this is a rare opportunity to blood one or two new players into the 6N and outside of the summer tours and would like to see him on the bench.
Mako did 70 minutes against Gloucester and EJ will want him back involved asap. He will be on the bench with Marler starting.
He did, but EJ might just have other long term priorities in a match that England should be winning at a canter.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The only person who knows for sure is EJ but England haven't been great 1st 2 games, and one of the big things missing is the ball carrying of the Vunipola boys