Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Jack Roberts leaving us

Post by Chobbsy »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38974529
A shame to loose such a promising prospect, I am assuming we have some centres in our sights, we need more than Matt Toomua and sick note Tuilagi.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
AntG

Re: Jack Roberts leaving us

Post by AntG »

Agree, a real shame to see Jack leave, a real prospect. However if he wants to get into the Wales squad it seems like a logical step.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes really disappointing to lose Jack, just when he's breaking through!

You are right Chobbsy we are desperate for at least two more quality centres, especially if Mermoz is off.

Ben Teo would be brilliant, not sure of his contractual position with Wuss.

Henry Slade would be amazing but I fear that is me in fantasy land!
Soggypitch
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I too am sorry to see Jack Roberts leave as he is not yet the "finished centre" and leaving Tigers where the quality coaches, top injured centres to mentor, and Tigers team mates & support will not be at there at lower level Cardiff. I hope his skills improve and he plays for Wales v Manu! Good luck Jack.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

wormus wrote:I too am sorry to see Jack Roberts leave as he is not yet the "finished centre" and leaving Tigers where the quality coaches, top injured centres to mentor, and Tigers team mates & support will not be at there at lower level Cardiff. I hope his skills improve and he plays for Wales v Manu! Good luck Jack.
You're right in that another season here with the likes of Toomua, Mauger, Tuilagi, Ford, Mermoz (possibly) and JPP to learn from would be something any budding international 13 would jump at...if they were 21. Roberts will be fast approaching 26 at the start of next season so you can understand his impatience for a regular starting slot.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

A great shame to lose Roberts IMO he has proper pace and is a line breaker who has given some go forward in recent times.
Would've been a great foil for Manu if Toomua had to move to 10 when Ford is missing.
I don't honestly see any of the development players filling this void to the required standard.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote:A great shame to lose Roberts IMO he has proper pace and is a line breaker who has given some go forward in recent times.
Would've been a great foil for Manu if Toomua had to move to 10 when Ford is missing.
I don't honestly see any of the development players filling this void to the required standard.
+1
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Sad to see him go as he has improved no end as a player this season, but one can understand his motives, pull of the home country etc. Good on yer boyo all the best for the future.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Noddy555 wrote:Sad to see him go as he has improved no end as a player this season, but one can understand his motives, pull of the home country etc. Good on yer boyo all the best for the future.
+1
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

jgriffin wrote:
BFG wrote:A great shame to lose Roberts IMO he has proper pace and is a line breaker who has given some go forward in recent times.
+1
+1
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

shame to lose him but at least it's not to another premiership club.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Then again, it's a decent run of games that has allowed Roberts to flourish. He showed glimpses in his first couple of seasons when he had few opportunities, but he did struggle to hang on to the ball at times!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Betham as a 13 has a lot of pace and with a consistent partner would also provide the same go forward
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
Then again, it's a decent run of games that has allowed Roberts to flourish. He showed glimpses in his first couple of seasons when he had few opportunities, but he did struggle to hang on to the ball at times!
We always knew he had raw pace and importantly speed off the mark as it was pretty obvious, just needed the opportunity.
He took a lot of responsibility in the circumstances recently which was good, yes he made some mistakes but what I was looking forward to was seeing him link up with other equally dangerous players and begin to hold defenders for each other and then watch the spaces open up!
Was noticeable at times when Manu is placed next to a slower player then defenders can afford to drift off to double up on him far too easily!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Roberts like Catchpole has been most unfortunate with illness and injury when opportunity has beckoned. He is now in his mid twenties and has recently done well but like Frazer Balmaine he is at that point in his career that he needs regular first team rugby if he is to achieve his potential. Sad to see them go but I think it will be best for each of them personally. Hopefully there will be opportunity for someone like Charlie Thacker to develop or maybe another project signing to back up the first team squad.