Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by kornboy130 »

BFG wrote: That is just staggering, how many 22 year olds have played 50 times for a Premiership club, just typical of the silver spoon mentality who want the shirt given and not earned and another reason why Leicester continue to fall behind the best teams!
Glynn was right when he mentioned the loss of form since January 2016 and I'm surprised that he hasn't quite worked out why given this type of scenario!
Give it a rest.

Are you suggesting him wanting to know where he figures in the club's plans before signing a new contract is silver spoon? how about simply being professional - the kid clearly has great talent and he would like to know if he can develop it here or not before signing on to a new contract.

What actually is your issue with him - as it's painful how much you have an axe to grind regarding every mention of him.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kornboy130 wrote:
BFG wrote: That is just staggering, how many 22 year olds have played 50 times for a Premiership club, just typical of the silver spoon mentality who want the shirt given and not earned and another reason why Leicester continue to fall behind the best teams!
Glynn was right when he mentioned the loss of form since January 2016 and I'm surprised that he hasn't quite worked out why given this type of scenario!
Give it a rest.

Are you suggesting him wanting to know where he figures in the club's plans before signing a new contract is silver spoon? how about simply being professional - the kid clearly has great talent and he would like to know if he can develop it here or not before signing on to a new contract.

What actually is your issue with him - as it's painful how much you have an axe to grind regarding every mention of him.
Clearly a shirt is to be given or he may not sign, it's pretty obvious! :smt015
Players picking the team! :smt018
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Starts will likely be Thackers biggest concern. He's started 5 games this season, if he's 3rd choice at openside and hooker then he will keep struggling for starts.

Who's coming in as DOR will probably affect the delay as well. Thacker divides opinion due to his size. There's no point in him signing a 2-3 year deal now only for a DOR to come in that won't pick him because he's short.

Personally, I'd like the club to rotate Evans and Thacker at openside. Harry may not be a better openside than O'Connor right now but he is definitely the more valuable player to the club given his potential. Back the young'un and give him the chance to develop, if it pays off Harry could be an asset to the club for years and years.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am really bored with BFG's constant criticism of Harry Thacker. On other subjects much of what BFG says is sensible whether I agree with it or not but every time anyone mentions Harry we get over the top moaning, unfair on a young player who always gives 100%. I suspect that BFG was at sometime given 50 lines by Harry's Dad Troy.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote:I am really bored with BFG's constant criticism of Harry Thacker. On other subjects much of what BFG says is sensible whether I agree with it or not but every time anyone mentions Harry we get over the top moaning, unfair on a young player who always gives 100%. I suspect that BFG was at sometime given 50 lines by Harry's Dad Troy.
With all due respect I'd say don't bother reading!
A request to know coaches plans above other players is well out of order IMO and the offer of a contract should be sufficient enough proof that he is wanted given that money is not an issue!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

BFG wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
Give it a rest.

Clearly a shirt is to be given or he may not sign, it's pretty obvious! :smt015
Players picking the team! :smt018

what you've done is seek to give the most negative possible scenario from the limited information available and it comes off as rather dull. At no point has anything even approaching what you've asserted with misplaced confidence there.

How about "is there a plan for my progression? which position will I be played in? If required will the club seek to develop me there with game time or will I be stuck between 2 roles?".

The idea he shouldn't ask questions about actually playing before committing is absurd and in any industry is an absolutely fine question to ask before taking employment - will I be used in a role I want to fulfil and is there opportunity for development in that role? If not I'll find another employer. But because it's sport the "I played a bit" brigade are out voicing an opinion devoid of reality. You do yourself a disservice on this topic - it's borderline pathetic.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote:Starts will likely be Thackers biggest concern. He's started 5 games this season, if he's 3rd choice at openside and hooker then he will keep struggling for starts.

Who's coming in as DOR will probably affect the delay as well. Thacker divides opinion due to his size. There's no point in him signing a 2-3 year deal now only for a DOR to come in that won't pick him because he's short.

Personally, I'd like the club to rotate Evans and Thacker at openside. Harry may not be a better openside than O'Connor right now but he is definitely the more valuable player to the club given his potential. Back the young'un and give him the chance to develop, if it pays off Harry could be an asset to the club for years and years.
Agree with this. I still think we missed a trick last weekend with having McGuigan throw in. Why have one of your most powerful players throw the ball in? Surely more beneficial to have him either lifting or in the middle of the rolling maul from the off and Thacker throwing in whilst playing 7. Would allow the option of Bateman playing hooker again (as his lineout work is pretty dreadful) and against the scrummaging packs we'd be in a strong position Genge/Bateman/Cole is a big scrummaging front row.

If we could get hold of an experienced openside to help mentor Evans and Thacker next season as a replacement for O'Connor that might be a good idea. Certainly helped Wasps having Smith mentor Young last season.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

johnthegriff wrote:I am really bored with BFG's constant criticism of Harry Thacker. On other subjects much of what BFG says is sensible whether I agree with it or not but every time anyone mentions Harry we get over the top moaning, unfair on a young player who always gives 100%. I suspect that BFG was at sometime given 50 lines by Harry's Dad Troy.
Harry Thacker won the "Try of the Season" last year and has grasped his opportunities well, but BFG's anti Thacker comments are like an old gramophone record, reminds me of one of my ex staff nicknamed "The King of Negativity" - well he only lasted till the next appraisal! Quite rightly Thacker wants to know his development trail with the contract option, this was made clear at Tuesday's Forum.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It is a fairly simple subject considering the jackanory stories above, he wants to know how much he will play before committing!
Would he not turn up to England training if called up until the coach told him how much he will play?
I must be getting too old school because IMO it smacks of give me what I want or I'll throw my toys out of the pram!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

BFG wrote:It is a fairly simple subject considering the jackanory stories above, he wants to know how much he will play before committing!
Would he not turn up to England training if called up until the coach told him how much he will play?
I must be getting too old school because IMO it smacks of give me what I want or I'll throw my toys out of the pram!
Definitely old school, like grinding axes!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

tigercaspian wrote:
BFG wrote:It is a fairly simple subject considering the jackanory stories above, he wants to know how much he will play before committing!
Definitely old school, like grinding axes!
So it would seem :smt015
The question still stands!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Are we going to see Tigers lose another talented young player that is Harry Thacker, it has all the signs of Ford's departure because we held onto an older player i.e. Toby Flood for at least a season too long?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You are all aware that kidnapping is a criminal offence? If a player wants to go(and play for his dads team in Georges case)what exactly can anyone do about it. Now George wants to leave Barf 'cos they sacked his dad and wants the chance to come back where he must believe he can advance his career. It's a business these things happen and will continue to happen. If Harry chooses to go, good luck to the lad, if he gets an offer he likes from us, then that's fine too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Noddy555 wrote:Are we going to see Tigers lose another talented young player that is Harry Thacker, it has all the signs of Ford's departure because we held onto an older player i.e. Toby Flood for at least a season too long?
Flood was only 28 when he left us. I'd hardly say we held on for him for too long. He was more consistent than Ford and deserved his place ahead of him.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Come off it hot_charlie you must have a short memory his kicking had gone to pot and his kicking from hand was becoming predictable. He had lost his international place in 2010/2011. His heart wasn't in the club and that was obvious in the place where it matters out on the field. Ford had been better than him for at least a season and at that stage was only 23 at least 5 and a half years junior to flood. He was fitter, energised and more enthusiastic than Toby.