Could he be the new Neil Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Could he be the new Neil Back

Post by Chobbsy »

Watching Harry Thacker on Saturday when he replaced Will Evans at open side, his play reminded me a lot of Neil Back, I know it has been discussed before about him being a 7, but if he wanted to and the club were willing to invest in converting him.........do you feel he could make it?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Could he be the new Neil Back

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote:Watching Harry Thacker on Saturday when he replaced Will Evans at open side, his play reminded me a lot of Neil Back, I know it has been discussed before about him being a 7, but if he wanted to and the club were willing to invest in converting him.........do you feel he could make it?
No!
The club will not win big trophies until it stops messing about.
Neil Back was from a different era, I saw him many times and Back was bigger, naturally stronger and much more aggressive.
HT walked past me a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how small he is, he must've been measured with studs on!
The props will also continue to struggle with him at hooker, some more than others because of technical differences.
Cole and Balmain have had trouble, Genge has had trouble next to him and I won't delve into it now but I know why.
The club needs to move forward (not back) if it wants to compete with the best!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Chobbsy wrote:Watching Harry Thacker on Saturday when he replaced Will Evans at open side, his play reminded me a lot of Neil Back, I know it has been discussed before about him being a 7, but if he wanted to and the club were willing to invest in converting him.........do you feel he could make it?
No, he'd be "too small to be a world class flanker". (JOKE!)
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't think there would be a huge conversion to master - he already plays like a linking 7.

If we are agreeing size is an issue then I would suggest that is more a factor for a 2 than a 7. At 7 being small can often be an advantage .... quicker to drop on loose balls, harder to dislodge when trying to steal ball as you have to get ridiculously low to knock him off the ball. I'd much rather see Harry and Evans fighting for the 7 shirt and BOC stay at 8.

What's the point of having a live wire like Harry on the pitch just to have all his energy zapped trying to live with opposition front rows come scrum time. At 7 he would stay fresher and more effective. I'd much prefer a hooker to be a bowling ball who can turn our scrum back into a weapon.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Will S wrote:I don't think there would be a huge conversion to master - he already plays like a linking 7.

If we are agreeing size is an issue then I would suggest that is more a factor for a 2 than a 7. At 7 being small can often be an advantage .... quicker to drop on loose balls, harder to dislodge when trying to steal ball as you have to get ridiculously low to knock him off the ball. I'd much rather see Harry and Evans fighting for the 7 shirt and BOC stay at 8.

What's the point of having a live wire like Harry on the pitch just to have all his energy zapped trying to live with opposition front rows come scrum time. At 7 he would stay fresher and more effective. I'd much prefer a hooker to be a bowling ball who can turn our scrum back into a weapon.
I agree the size is a bigger issue with him playing 2, I don't want to see a great player like him lost because he stays at 2 and is too small and lightweight or worse still leaving us and going to another club who will work with him.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

He is not a better hooker than Tom Youngs.

He is not a better openside than Brendon O'Connor or Will Evans.

But he is an excellent player. And herein lies the problem.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote:
No!
The club will not win big trophies until it stops messing about.
Neil Back was from a different era, I saw him many times and Back was bigger, naturally stronger and much more aggressive.
HT walked past me a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how small he is, he must've been measured with studs on!
The props will also continue to struggle with him at hooker, some more than others because of technical differences.
Cole and Balmain have had trouble, Genge has had trouble next to him and I won't delve into it now but I know why.
The club needs to move forward (not back) if it wants to compete with the best!
Scrum-half?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Might be better to convert to 7s rugby.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

drc_007 wrote:Might be better to convert to 7s rugby.
That isn't a bad shout
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No but it's nice to have a player who can slot in elsewhere, I really do see HT as a future England hooker, he has the most vital asset that good hookers should possess a good rugby brain and an outstanding ability to read the game, like a good centre half or centre back should have in soccer. THe move for his try last Saturday was a moment of sheer inspiration.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:No but it's nice to have a player who can slot in elsewhere, I really do see HT as a future England hooker, he has the most vital asset that good hookers should possess a good rugby brain and an outstanding ability to read the game, like a good centre half or centre back should have in soccer. THe move for his try last Saturday was a moment of sheer inspiration.
Unfortunately Noddy, the most vital assets for a hooker are hooking, scrummaging and throwing in. Are you confident that he's good enough at all three of them?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Iain wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:No but it's nice to have a player who can slot in elsewhere, I really do see HT as a future England hooker, he has the most vital asset that good hookers should possess a good rugby brain and an outstanding ability to read the game, like a good centre half or centre back should have in soccer. THe move for his try last Saturday was a moment of sheer inspiration.
Unfortunately Noddy, the most vital assets for a hooker are hooking, scrummaging and throwing in. Are you confident that he's good enough at all three of them?
Hooking isn't as vital as it should be. As long as the ball is going into the second rows feet that will remain the case. HT gets a very good strike so it's a shame.

Scrummaging Harry could arguably become solid at with time. He will never be a destructive or dominant scrummager though. If the club wants that destructive scrum back and Harry to be a part of the side then he'd be better off at 7.

Throwing he can still do from 7 if the coaches are open minded. Whether he's at hooker or 7 his best role in the line-out is throwing in. He's too short to be a regular lifter and wont be a jumper. Plus his darts are excellent.

I think he could be a fantastic 7. Thacker and Evans skill sets could contrast each other well too. Horses for courses type selection.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I see all this stuff about him being to small, then every time I see him on the pitch he is always one of the best players there without exception.
If size was everything then Samoa would dominate.
I'd be interested to see both he and Evans in the back row.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Most Definitely Iain, his line out throwing currently is on a different planet to Tom Youngs and I'm sure that other posters will point out under the current rules hooking though important is not necessarily as important as it used to be particularly as so many refs seem to be blind at scrum halves placing the ball behind the front feet and it's almost the lock forwards who have to be good hookers today. His loose play skills are superb as is his fitness level.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Not with EJ in charge. He likes his hookers 6ft plus.