Tigers v Saints AWC Saturday 28th Jan.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Re: Tigers v Saints AWC Saturday 28th Jan.

Post by ElvastonTiger »

Enjoyed the game but currently having to rewatch the first half on catch up TV because of that rubbish Bhangra drumming. Even before the game they hit us in the middle of the H&B stand from both ends of the field with two uncoordinated sub groups pumping out little moments of pure pap.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

drc_007 wrote:
BFG wrote:For the many who were not there from the empty seats of which there were many it was extremely poor quality match in the main.
Thacker's try was a clear double movement and I lost count of how many times he get held up and turned over today.
Hamilton was excellent once again and man of the match IMO and Roberts did well against a quick and incisive set of Saints backs.
Barrow worked his socks off and McGuigan brought some physicality and really tested his lineout throwing showing good intent in going for the back instead of the safe option at the front, McGuigan ran over someone to get the momentum going for Thacker's try, no idea who it was but they got flattened, exactly what the senior side have been missing. McGuigan should play more IMO as he has potential.
Owen Williams pulled the strings well but IMO Kitto has to be up there with the worst signings Leicester have ever made.
I would've replaced Tait with Worth at half time.
I thought (as did the ref) that whilst Thacker was tackled short of the line he was driven over by Rizzo.
I think Barrow is exactly the sort of player that Tigers have been missing of late, hitting breakdowns, smashing into tackles and general putting Tigers on the front foot and clearing players out. Not the glamorous stuff but absolutely essential.
It was a clear double movement but that's just my opinion which doesn't really matter in this case because it was given, he was stopped short, moved his arm once and then twice over the line, it was pretty clear to me in real time from some distance, but no matter as it was given and Stains will be hacked off about it so it's all good! :smt003
I look at these matches for who is transferable into seniors, where they do well and where they fall down and the same players keep putting their hands up time after time, Barrow, Hamilton and Roberts, I thought McGuigan did a little bit of that today and would like to see if he gets better with regular match fitness.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

For me most of the poor quality came from Stains, there were clearly still defence issues, and a tactic teams are using is to turn Tait. Crofty brought a lot to the side apart from some woeful tackling as he got knackered. Notice they didn't replay Stains last try, did he really ground short and lose control?
I enjoyed the match, the drummers :smt019 and loathed the messing around with everything else. No old tries either please.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote:For me most of the poor quality came from Stains, there were clearly still defence issues, and a tactic teams are using is to turn Tait. Crofty brought a lot to the side apart from some woeful tackling as he got knackered. Notice they didn't replay Stains last try, did he really ground short and lose control?
I enjoyed the match, the drummers :smt019 and loathed the messing around with everything else. No old tries either please.
Now quite clear that Tait has lost that pace to play at top level, but 1 step down he managed ok. Stains last try was fine, they did check it, as was Thackers no double movement of the arm, driven over by Rizzo who I thought did well after 18 months out.

Speaking of fullbacks was that Veianu on the watt bike on the touch line in his number 1s
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Having qualified for the semis let;s now ensure 1st or 2nd seeding so we get a home match on the weekend of the 10th of Match, Then we have a chance of getting to the final. Am I right is the final this year being played in Bristol?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Always happy to beat the sinners, onwards and upwards
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:Having qualified for the semis let;s now ensure 1st or 2nd seeding so we get a home match on the weekend of the 10th of Match, Then we have a chance of getting to the final. Am I right is the final this year being played in Bristol?
Come on Neil Nodder those Try Line Club prawn buffets are confusing you twice at least this weekend.
The Anglo Welsh Final will be held at the Twickenham Stoop on Sunday 13th March.
See attached but this was regularly displayed on the pitch length advertising panels during the game. - http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/tw ... welsh-cup/
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

any news on evans' ankle?
cheers
Rich
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Mark62 wrote:
jgriffin wrote:For me most of the poor quality came from Stains, there were clearly still defence issues, and a tactic teams are using is to turn Tait. Crofty brought a lot to the side apart from some woeful tackling as he got knackered. Notice they didn't replay Stains last try, did he really ground short and lose control?
Now quite clear that Tait has lost that pace to play at top level, but 1 step down he managed ok. Stains last try was fine, they did check it, as was Thackers no double movement of the arm, driven over by Rizzo who I thought did well after 18 months out.

Speaking of fullbacks was that Veianu on the watt bike on the touch line in his number 1s
It was their 2nd try, not their last (that was a contender for "Most obvious try of the season", yet still got reviewed). I, and may around me, also thought it was short and lost control but as per usual, am happy to change my mind in the event of further evidence suggesting the contrary...

Oh yes, and sack the entire marketing department (I particularly "enjoyed" the "If you want to see more of this you can buy a half-season ticket" announcement last week.) Subtle as a brick.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

On 51:12 Kieran Brookes turns his back on the ref after giving away a scrum penalty and calls him a F****** T***** Must have been spending too much time with Dylan!

I wonder if anything will be done - after all had the ref or a TJ/TMO seen him at the time it would have been a red card.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Mark62 wrote:
Yes, hopefully the squad buzz meant that he had a bit of adrenaline to burn off!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Good solid performance but I could not give MOM to anyone other than either Dom Barrow or Luke Hamilton. Thought they were just what Tigers should be about. Passion, commitment and skill. My only negative comment would be the use of the big screen to play the videos of the kids shouting something in support of the team. They will have loved it and I have no problem in encouraging the kids but lets find a better way than this please.
Hehehehehehehehe
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Thought Hamilton had his best game for us so far. Must have been a very close contender for MotM
I'm not cynical just experienced
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

trendylfj wrote:Good solid performance but I could not give MOM to anyone other than either Dom Barrow or Luke Hamilton. Thought they were just what Tigers should be about. Passion, commitment and skill. My only negative comment would be the use of the big screen to play the videos of the kids shouting something in support of the team. They will have loved it and I have no problem in encouraging the kids but lets find a better way than this please.
Can't fault the club for trying to enhance the atmosphere but tries, forward-moving scrums, line breaks and turnovers do this better than anything.
I didn't make mind the drums last year but I would sympathise with anyone in close proximity.
The stuff on the big screens just seemed odd and out of place.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tyzot wrote:On 51:12 Kieran Brookes turns his back on the ref after giving away a scrum penalty and calls him a F****** T***** Must have been spending too much time with Dylan!

I wonder if anything will be done - after all had the ref or a TJ/TMO seen him at the time it would have been a red card.
That's because Rizzo handed his :censored: to him throughout and then did the same to Hill.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.