What Now? & What we need?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

What Now? & What we need?

Post by kpj tiger »

How do Tigers move on from this result, how do we get anything from this season and how do we make the steps to fix things for next season?

An independent review lead by somebody like SCW?
A vote of no confidence in the board?
Sack Mauger and just give Murphy the rains now?

I'd like to hear other opinions on this because I'm really not sure how we go about fixing this
Last edited by kpj tiger on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: What Now?

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly I don't know.

We need more Tigers DNA at the top.
We need a new CEO
We need a new DOR
We need a new Head Coach
We need a new Forwards coach
We need a new Defence coach
We need a new Hooker
We need a new Lock
We need a new Openside
We need a new Number 8 (or two)
We need a new 10
We need a new Winger
We need a new centre
We need a new 15
We need better depht, (off set coast by using Academy players as 3rd choice etc).
We need a new Academy director
We need to sort out our entire academy system (from scotuing areas to coaching and money).

So nothing much.

(Maybe a new 9)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

To quote the song things can only get better. We have 2 weeks where the Assistant coaches take the team for the Anglo Welsh. Peter Tom and the other directors need to grow a pair rapidly, thank Cohen and Mauger and get the new broom in pronto.
I would even suggest that in the re build phase which has to happen, next season in the 2nd tier European competition would be a good thing
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Sack all the coaches, it's pure sentiment that employs the likes of GM - he has been around throughout the RC decline. It may not be the right time unless there are replacements on tap. Sometimes, even when going backwards, as RC was, you have to go further backwards to go forwards. If the reports of player revolt, leading to RC sacking are correct then we may have some rotten apples in the playing side we need to remove too.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

The biggest problem I see with sacking some of or all the coaches is who do we bring in and how do we get them here, we lack the money of other clubs and now we are loosing the prestige that might have made up for that, personally I feel a lot of this falls at Simon Cohen's feet and he should be the first to fall on his sword
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Give it Giggsy till end of season.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

The players do have take some responsibility surely! There is no leadership and someone has to stand and be counted.
TY is not a leader, Slater is. Kitchener is an enforcer. No one knows their roles.
I am up for Hamilton taking extra responsibility of Team leader / Captain / call it what you want!
No passion being shown - what is wrong!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

kpj tiger wrote:How do Tigers move on from this result, how do we get anything from this season and how do we make the steps to fix things for next season?

An independent review lead by somebody like SCW?
A vote of no confidence in the board?
Sack Mauger and just give Murphy the rains now?

I'd like to hear other opinions on this because I'm really not sure how we go about fixing this
I think next, we take defeat graciously and say well done Glasgow, drink a few beers and sleep on it.

On Monday, I will think Sir Clive doing an independent review might be just what Tigers need.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Look forward to next season!! :smt022
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Easy for me, we have a set of forwards who are neither big enough, skilled enough or motivated enough to pull on a Tigers shirt. I've no idea how good the backs are because they've been living off slow poor quality ball for a long time.

Who's responsible for recruitment? No idea but whoever it is should go. We are bullied up front by everyone.

It's going to be a long way back.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

What we need!

Post by physiodan »

1. No injuries
2. A world beating hooker. From my memories we had cockers, westy, kaiser, mefin, ghiraldini and since then youngs. I don't have a downer on him but we need a guy who challenges him for his spot. Bring back Kaiser.
3. Another top quality 3. Cole is a great player but he also needs pushing. Cole got the best out of Castro and now we need another to get the best out of cole.
4. A solid 8. In my opinion we haven't had these options since Corry and Tuilagi.
5. A fit centre partnership. This one cannot be helped but it is key to our defence.
6. A solid 10. Bring back Goode! Failing that someone like gopperth. Nothing fancy but knows how to control a game.
7. A new defenc coach.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

..time to take a long hard look....

Post by kk20gb30 »

..time plays tricks with memories - good and bad..I’ve attended Welford Road as a child with my parents ( the days of Chalkie White) and now with a child of my own.I’ve never felt the need to post on social media or believe I know more about Rugby than either professional coaches or players.I am though a supporter,I follow and will continue to follow Leicester Tigers but I also have a pair of eyes and having witnessed first hand the Glasgow European tie I believe that there is something very,very wrong with/at the Club I have supported for so long...
I never actually wanted R C to be dismissed, though I did believe that we had perhaps started to stagnate under his stewardship.I could never actually understand the logic behind A M’s appointment considering how different in professional terms (ideology) he and R C were and also taking into account A M’s actual coaching record in New Zealand , but as they say opposites attract and the partnership had to be given a chance.Well,simply put it was given a chance and it failed.My guess as to why - mixed messages, poles apart.This, from what can be gleaned from the snippets and sound bytes,appears not too far off the mark....
I’m gonna guess again and state that the club - at board level- have been seduced by the idea of the ‘beautiful game’..’Sexy Rugby’..that the ‘Leicester Way’ wasn’t, isn’t working and that the dinosaurs had to move on or become extinct.Well,I could not disagree more.The ‘Leicester Way’ is simply about winning games of Rugby by whatever means necessary and that does not go out of fashion.The fact that we possessed the players with the ability and desire to largely overpower anyone anywhere should have been lauded and perpetuated not condemned or disparaged.Look around now at any of the top sides and tell me which lacks power up front ? If it isn't broke,don't fix it because in attempting to do so we have been left with an emasculated pack and back play that resembles a static,sterile sideways line dance ,easy to predict and even easier to defend against that more often than ends in an handling error.It is not just about who is missing , the problem runs deeper than that.Tell me honestly,have we really moved on from Matt O’Connor ?
A top 4 finish is not out of our reach;though whilst never advocating change for changes sake I feel now that A M together with his backroom staff should be replaced at the earliest possible opportunity.All I see is a lack of leadership and belief both on and off the field .In the last 2 weeks we have witnessed a Leicester team twice disintegrate before our eyes.Time now for everyone associated with the club to look at themselves and admit culpability - from the coaches who still hide behind R C’s force of personality dominating (even in his absence !!) to the players who despite talking a good game are quite obviously failing to deliver.A beating from a better side is acceptable , failing to compete is not.Congratulations to Glasgow by the way, they played a game we can only aspire to at this juncture.
If our players can’t or wont play for the club,its time for them to go - whoever they are.If the coaches can’t coach the players effectively , likewise.Act wisely now and all is not lost.In my opinion there is an alternative , I stress my opinion - please feel free to differ, that's the nature of the game.I feel the club should (re)approach Heyneke Meyer -a respected coach with some local background knowledge.The man is capable of building and rebuilding a team to both compete and to win - South Africa were certainly a greater force with him than without.As I say,it is just my opinion - agree or disagree ,just make sure you care.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: ..time to take a long hard look....

Post by ourla »

kk20gb30 wrote: I’m gonna guess again and state that the club - at board level- have been seduced by the idea of the ‘beautiful game’..’Sexy Rugby’..that the ‘Leicester Way’ wasn’t, isn’t working and that the dinosaurs had to move on or become extinct.Well,I could not disagree more.The ‘Leicester Way’ is simply about winning games of Rugby by whatever means necessary and that does not go out of fashion.The fact that we possessed the players with the ability and desire to largely overpower anyone anywhere should have been lauded and perpetuated not condemned or disparaged.Look around now at any of the top sides and tell me which lacks power up front ?
There is a certain irony that two of the most successful sides of recent times (Toulon and Saracens) are pretty dull to watch and tended/tend to grind teams down rather than blow them off the park. The All Blacks even strangle you first before they put you to the sword.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: What Now? & What we need?

Post by Iain »

I don't think anyone knows what the answer is any more.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: What we need!

Post by Chobbsy »

physiodan wrote:1. No injuries
2. A world beating hooker. From my memories we had cockers, westy, kaiser, mefin, ghiraldini and since then youngs. I don't have a downer on him but we need a guy who challenges him for his spot. Bring back Kaiser.
3. Another top quality 3. Cole is a great player but he also needs pushing. Cole got the best out of Castro and now we need another to get the best out of cole.
4. A solid 8. In my opinion we haven't had these options since Corry and Tuilagi.
5. A fit centre partnership. This one cannot be helped but it is key to our defence.
6. A solid 10. Bring back Goode! Failing that someone like gopperth. Nothing fancy but knows how to control a game.
7. A new defenc coach.
Hookers you forgot GEORGE
God created rugby so footballers have heros too